Winch power?

flatbedbill

Looking for information, I have a ford superduty with a flatbed, I mounted a Warn 12k winch on the rear, and am wondering how best to power it. Should I just run 1 guage cables to the winch itself(approx 18 ft.) or mount a battery in the back run cables to the battery then to the winch? any ideas would be great. what about altenator power, should I get a higher output altenator?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Use the thickest welding cable you can find. 1G to 1 Odd should work, I think. The only difference where you put the battery is the thickness of cable required. Nothing wrong with useing your main battery or mounting a 2nd battery in the bed and using a battery isolator.

Chances are, your alternator allready has decent output.

flatbedbill

I ordered the cable from WesBellwireandcable.com 2.70 a foot. 20ft of red and 20ft of black. It should arrive on Tue 2/21. I still have to put lugs on if I can find a press some place cheap.

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
Thanks for the website! I recently saw a video of someone soldering the connections instead of pressing them in. They put the connector in a vice with the open side up. Melted the solder with a torch and then just put the wire in the connector.

El Solis

Adventurer
Thanks for the website! I recently saw a video of someone soldering the connections instead of pressing them in. They put the connector in a vice with the open side up. Melted the solder with a torch and then just put the wire in the connector.

I just did this when I mounted my compressor worked well. Nice thing was when you made an oops I just reheated it and fixed it.

chasespeed

Explorer
With the draw on the winch, I would run it all the way back. But, thats me..

I have soldered the lugs on before just as mentioned. No problems.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior