Want to get a Westy.....need some help.

wesel123

Explorer
Fiance and I have been kicking around the idea if getting a 2WD Westy (yes I k ow tgia is a 4wd section but there are a lot if vw owners her).

I think i want an 82-83 prewater cooled. I think that they are less prone to break down. I tvia a true statement???

My budget is no more than $8k if that helps.

So bring on the comments please!!!

slooowr6

Explorer
I don't think that's is a true statement at least from my experience with a 86 2.1 water cooled. A full westy is heavy I can only imagine how slow it's going to be going over passes with a 1.9 air cool. Depends the condition of the westy you plan to get it's possible to get it road worthy with $8k but it's going to be tight.
If I have the time and $, I'll get another one and work on it.

thecriscokid

Explorer
8k may be tight for a cherry westy but doable for sure. I sold my 85 with little rust,4k into the engine for a rebuild, for 5k a few years ago. I do regret that especially because the money went into a house... Look for a waterboxer that has been rebuilt already. Maybe look for a transporter and do a conversion. Just spend a lot of time looking at gowesty.com and similar sites and think outside the box. If/when I buy another, I prefer the weekender layout. Pics just because
sunshine-wall.jpg

ext_open.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Get a 1986+. Don't go with the aircooled, they are less reliable and the injection system is more prone to issue. Also less parts for them and the heating system is not as efficient.

Again, get a 1986+, that's when they've had the most improvements.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Get a 1986+. Don't go with the aircooled, they are less reliable and the injection system is more prone to issue. Also less parts for them and the heating system is not as efficient.

What were the changes? I don't recall, it's been a while. I remember changes in 90?

wesel123

Explorer

LOL I was waiting for you to chime it thanks brother.

coguzzi

Adventurer
i personally would look for a water cooled era van already converted to subaru power. cheapest will be ej22 2.2l subi. ive had 5 different vw syncros, 2 converted to subi power and id never have a VW 2.1 wasserleaker again. i have owned probably 15 air cooled VW's as well (60-70 bugs, busses, fastbacks and ghias), fun for sure but definitely not more reliable just because they lack a system--still have to keep them from over heating

85--tallest 2wd susupension year and slightly cheaper than 86+, with a subaru 2.2 would be good. or a ford zetec (bostig conversion) but i have no personal experience

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Ian,

Call me dude.

Don't get the air-cooled.

Don't get a factory diesel.

Knowing you, get a subaru, or 1.8T or modern diesel powered one. Trust me, the 1.9L and 2.1L suck if they havent been maintained in top notch condition. And getting a van back into top notch condition when someone else has neglected it is not fun.

The pros vs. cons for the 86 and newer are 50/50. Yes, you get a better engine in general as far as EFI systems is concerned, but your lights are worse, you deal with "Vanagon Syndrom"(easy fix), some other minor things.

Log in over on the The Samba and start reading the Stickies and FAQs. It wouldnt hurt to read the GoWesty stuff either; they have some good thing to say, but remeber they have a dog in the race.

For $8k, you should be able to get a good running, well taken care of one. I bought mine for less than $4,000.

Why don't you want to go the SMB route again?

Like I said, give me a call.

Gavin

syncrodoka

Adventurer
I think i want an 82-83 prewater cooled.
There are many differences on the early models including many parts that have gone NLA. The later model(86+) are better supported by the vendors and replacement solutions for NLA parts are much more plentiful.
Good luck.

Heading Out

Adventurer
What flavor Vanagon to choose...

I'm new here but I've had a couple of westies, an 80 air cooled and a 90 2.1, so, I thought I'd give my $.02...

the newer the better with Vanagons, 86+ is a much better driving van, the slider is much more solid,and interior quality is higher.

I added larger brakes and 15" south African wheels. this transforms the way a Vanagon drives in the wind.

A 2wd is a good choice, you'll be surprised at where it will go, put some good A/T tires on it, just not too big, as it will kill the power.

I don't care for the Subie conversions because the oil pan hangs so low on every conversion I've seen, and in here California there is only one Sub. engine that is

smog legal, a major consideration if you plan on having the vehicle registered here . although the SVX 6cyl is an interesting option

By now all the issues with the 2.1 have been worked out, and there are solutions for them,

one other thing is to always use the phosphate free coolant and change it regularly. my 2.1 went over 200K and never leaked a drop.

If I where to get another Vanagon it would be an 86+ Weekender, waterboxer and add the South African 15" wheels and the round headlight set up with some good E-Code

H4 headlamps. and maybe some mild lift springs and change the final drive.

the other posts all have good advice, there is lots of info on the SAMBA as well.

If you can't find what you want build it!

Good luck

Last edited:

coguzzi

Adventurer
there are many options for subaru oil pans out there, if you leave the stock pan it does hang to low and in my opinion only done by the people who "cheap out". if the pan is modified or even a newer offering of a cast pan, ground clearence is the same or better than stock vanagon. my 3 conversion oil pans on syncros fit well under the factory skid plates. so dont let that sway you, tons of ways to do it right, and also wrong

mpg with a stock syncro is 17mpg (2wd slightly better), mpg with subaru 2.2 is 22-23mpg, svx was 16mpg

Heading Out

Adventurer
there are many options for subaru oil pans out there, if you leave the stock pan it does hang to low and in my opinion only done by the people who "cheap out". if the pan is modified or even a newer offering of a cast pan, ground clearence is the same or better than stock vanagon. my 3 conversion oil pans on syncros fit well under the factory skid plates. so dont let that sway you, tons of ways to do it right, and also wrong

mpg with a stock syncro is 17mpg (2wd slightly better), mpg with subaru 2.2 is 22-23mpg, svx was 16mpg

Yes, you have a point there on the pans, but again do you homework on the conversion to be sure it has the CARB approval.

My 2.1 got about 19 with stock diameter tires, this went down to about 16 with larger tires and stock gears.

also I felt the stock tank was too small, it would only do about 250 miles on a tank, I always wondered if it would be possible to add

the syncro tank above the 2wd trans. in addition to the stock tank. I believe the drive train in a syncro is mounted a little lower in the chassis, but, I may be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles