TLC Mods to a G55 Mercedes

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Great Modifications to a wonderful G-55 G-wagen.

I really love the rear access ladder, it finishes the truck nicely.

Perfect Job done, Jonathan!

zimm

Expedition Leader
wonder where he got that? :)

his stuff is always nice. ida stick with the "gacky" wood and "cheesy leather". the fabric/materials he chose are going to look dated rather quickly.

REDROVER

Explorer
I saw it in person few days ago at icon/tlc place, looks awesome, now its time to use it>>>>>>>>> not on the streets of Hollywood

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Nicely done. A few things I would have left or done different just based on personal prefrance. But a great job!

zimm

Expedition Leader
the LED light bar mounting is cheesy. doesnt quite mesh with all the time spent on the other details.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Granted the G55 is strictly an off road vehicle, but changing out the rubber/plastic impact strip for milled aluminum is a pretty significant damage multiplier. Just sayin. Very nice looking though, but everyone has their own idea of perfect.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Wait, did he claim that they designed the rear ladder? Is it yours Karl?
Factory F/R marker lights are from a VW Rabbit actually.
I'm not a fan of the bug-zapper LED bar on the front, but to each his own.
Lots of $$ in the custom aluminum rub strips, side steps, etc. I do like the satin black finish--good choice.
I love that interior door fabric--saw it on one of their tan FJ62's...but why go to all the trouble to resurface the cheesy wood, only to leave the cheesy chrome strip around the shifter base??? That's the first thing that's going on mine, before the wood!

All in all, fun to see their take on the G.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think I know where they may have taken the f/r side marker design from. I was next to a TriMet bus this morning and the side markers on the bus looked very similar to those on this G.
Difficult to see, but near the handicapped sign;
IMG_0417.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
I think I know where they may have taken the f/r side marker design from. I was next to a TriMet bus this morning and the side markers on the bus looked very similar to those on this G.
Difficult to see, but near the handicapped sign;
View attachment 94654

i couldnt place that myself, but i think youre right.

i have always maintained, anything bolted to the sheet metal should be significantly weaker than the sheet metal. id rather replace a cheap plastic lens than do bodywork in a top end paint job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles