Best way to store a truck camper outside?

mikemcgl

Any ideas or best practices on storing my truck camper when I'm not using it? Should I build a stand to sit it on? Recommended covers? Thanks Mike

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We have a 1999 Bigfoot C25 10.6, so it's a big camper. We set down 4 stacks of cinder blocks, one near each corner. Each stack is made from 3 blocks, 2 on the bottom, and then the 3rd block running crosswise to the other 2. We place a couple 2"x8" across the stacks, one across the front of the camper, and a second across the back. We set the camper down on that. We keep the jacks lowered touching the ground, but without having them carry much weight. That arrangement seems to work fine.

We've tried various covers over the years. The Adco covers are OK, but the problem we have is they seldom last much past their warranty date. Seems like we can get about 2 years out of a cover, and they aren't particularly cheap. Over time we've become less and less picky about keeping it covered, so at this point we don't bother. The camper does look like it's been out in the sun, but not really too bad considering it's age.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I set my FWC down on what amounts to a stack of 4x4s - very similar to what cnynrat does. All the weight is on the wood, none on the jacks.

I also don't cover mine - but it does get a couple of coats of Solar-tek roof coating when it starts getting thin.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I have two campers (don't ask) and store one of them on sawhorses and the other on 4 "blocks" made of cross stacked 2x4's. Both are covered with bungy'ed tarps when not in use. It rains A LOT here on the wet coast and I feel it's the best way to minimize leaks. I also usually leave one of the small windows open for airflow. Seems to help with mildew and mold (again very common here, even if you leave a car for a few months).

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Where are you? The storage program is vastly different from Phoenix to Seattle to Telluride!

As for stands, I like a set of folding aluminum saw horses like drywallers use. They are strong, won't rot, and are easy to store when the camper is on the truck. I also take mine with me when traveling on longer trips with the camper. They lay flat on the roof, and I can take the camper off to do some exploring at places where we stay for more than a few days.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Where I live we get 8' or more of snow, and besides that, campers are built to sit on the floor. Leaving them on the jacks alone puts all the weight on the few bolts in each corner. It is fine for short term, but I don't know of anyone other than you who leaves them on the jacks alone full time. I'm sure others do, but I've never seen it.

sisu

Adventurer
WE have a 1994 9.6 Northern Lite.
Store outside on three of those yellow folding metal saw horses. The saw horses have 4 2x6s on them and a 1/2 piece of plywood so the bottom of the camper is completely supported. The 4 jacks have a cinder block under each on but little to no weight is on them only there for back up. then we wrap it in a large tarp and rope her down. The tarp will last usually two years and then fall apart from the UV damage. We keep it like that for about 3 months then it is back on the truck and ready to go.

Scoutman

Explorer
I bought a $400 canopy to protect our camper. Seemed like cheap insurance to keep it out of the constant weather. It stays on sawhorses to keep some of the load off the legs and make it more stable when I have to crawl in.

IMG_20110110_120123 (Medium).jpg

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
If it is available in your area, get the top shrink-wrapped. That way you wont have to worry about ice damning on the roof. As for support, a few good sturdy saw horses do the job, if you're on hard ground. be sure to use something with more footprint, if you're parking it in the weeds.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I store mine (Big Foot 2500) on the 4 jacks and have done it for over 6 years now. Just wonder why others don't do the same ? Seems to work fine for me.

Jerry

We have been somehow living on/off in our Bigfoot for the last 6 months while we are fixing up our house in Truckee. I can't believe it's been that long already...but we are finally getting closer to move in the house...that's another story..

Our camper is also on the 4 jacks sometimes but I read it's not the best practice. So when I don't use the pickup, I left the camper to rest on the bed. The manual does say that you are supposed to put some blocks/piece of wood under it when in storage - not sure exactly why.

The only problem so far is the snow falling off the tree which broke one of the (new) plastic glass on the roof. A $20 replacement.

Since it's been that long, I am going to keep it until at least Overland Expo, and drive it down there again this year!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just bought an '07 Adventurer 10T. It is a fairly heavy fully kitted out 10' rig. While I was measuring for tie downs etc the other day, (it is still at service dept getting an awning etc), the main service guy was confirming what we have been saying. NEVER leave your camper just on the jacks when it is off the truck. At minimum, a couple of saw horses with 2x6s on top running the length of the floor are recommended. The jacks are only to loft it for installation and removal from the truck.

I know some people do leave them on the jacks fulltime, and it is your camper, do as you like. However it is apparently not a good idea.

Christian..........I did the same thing three years ago when I bought my cabin. I lived in my camper full time for almost four months while I rebuilt the cabin. I just sold my cabin and have decided to go homeless so my camper's legs will be getting a rest soon. I plan to hit the road end of May and once again live in the camper. Might post a new trip report here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94