Belly dragging no more - 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Quadrasteer

General Automag

Adventurer
A couple years ago I decided I needed a truck and sold the SUV. I wanted something that had as much interior space as possible since I appreciated that about the SUV, but I wanted to have a bed to load bicycles, moto's, and just having the general utility of a truck bed so I decided a full size crew cab was in order. With the length being what it was I stumbled upon the Quadrasteer trucks and was sold on the idea. I finally tracked one down that met my criteria. This is what it looked like when I bought it:
View attachment 87046View attachment 87050

I was very happy with the truck and the ride. Having had several very capable off road vehicles in the past, I knew that I would never achieve the same with this platform (not my goal anyway), but that I needed to make some cosmetic and utility modifications to meet my use as basically a base camp vehicle. After a couple months of owning it, this was the result:
View attachment 87047

At that point, I knew the biggest issue was lack of ground clearance and poor break-over. But, as life would have it, things got so busy that I really used it primarily for utility vs. recreation. For 2012 I've recommitted to getting back out in the dirt and camping more so I decided to do something about the clearance issue, and frankly with how long the truck is, it now looks like it has the right proportions, too:
View attachment 87048

So there's the intro. I have lots of plans, but we'll see how often the cash resources will allow me to indulge those. I've seen some great sliders from another member here that I've already found a local welder interested in taking on the project. I'll likely have him build me a better light/brush bar, too. The front bumper will stay stock as I have receivers bolt to the front end that make the truck towable with a motorhome and I plan to use those for a receiver mount for a winch or other accessories. I need to decide how to carry the proper size spare as well. I have a roof top tent and originally was going to use a ladder style rack for that, but for the time being decided to mount it to my utility trailer.

I don't know that this is a build - just an evolution so I'll update as appropriate. This forum is loaded with tons of great ideas and info so I figured I'd show my enthusiasm by getting a thread started.

Tell us about the rock sliders you have on your rig. Do you or can you take any up-close photographs, particularly of where and how the sliders are welded to the frame? We have a Chevrolet 4x4 with an extended cab, and yes, it does have rather a poor break-over. The "nerf" bars or steps that I've seen will just get ripped off under use, and we're looking for a better option. Thanks!

Devin W

Observer
Tell us about the rock sliders you have on your rig. Do you or can you take any up-close photographs, particularly of where and how the sliders are welded to the frame? We have a Chevrolet 4x4 with an extended cab, and yes, it does have rather a poor break-over. The "nerf" bars or steps that I've seen will just get ripped off under use, and we're looking for a better option. Thanks!

What I have on there now are N-Fab nerf bars and they would have the exact issue that you're talking about. My goal is to have some sliders made like another member on here (user id is johnlogan) has done. Here's a pic:
rockslider 1.jpgrockslider 2.jpg

^^ this and what rear bumper are do you have on there? Looks very clean.

The rear bumper is a Buckstop.
http://buckstop.biz/rear.html

brian90744

American Trekker
Few pic of my 03 QS

Devin,
still got my 03,kinda hard to sell it. I'm tired of 11MPG, I need to Duramax it, I'm looking for a donor Duramax truck. here some pics=
Brian

FYI
There used to be a Quadrasteer Club site, which now is DenaliTrucks.com. In the Technical section. Delphi's patented Quadrasteer only 50000 production Q/S axles were manufactured, with some going to Silverado1500HD, GM Sierra /Denali 1500HD, Yukon, and Suburban. From 2002-2005 Trucks both Extended Cab and Crew Cabs could be ordered with LS & LD. All Q/S vehicles have extended rear fenders. I guess many of you have checked out You Tube on Quadrasteer.

Attachments

• 2003 chevy 4.jpg
    2003 chevy 4.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2003 chevy 7.jpg
    2003 chevy 7.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 10
  • bumper 2.jpg
    bumper 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Devin W

Observer
Hey Devin, just wondering how those dura grapplers are holding up?

Hey Laker, so far the tires have been great. I'll have to check the mileage but the tread still looks new, the tires are still quiet, and seem to be wearing very evenly. I'm very happy with them!

Devin W

Observer
Devin,
still got my 03,kinda hard to sell it. I'm tired of 11MPG, I need to Duramax it, I'm looking for a donor Duramax truck. here some pics=
Brian

FYI
There used to be a Quadrasteer Club site, which now is DenaliTrucks.com. In the Technical section. Delphi's patented Quadrasteer only 50000 production Q/S axles were manufactured, with some going to Silverado1500HD, GM Sierra /Denali 1500HD, Yukon, and Suburban. From 2002-2005 In the Trucks both Extended Cab and Crew Cabs could be ordered with LS & LD. All Q/S vehicles has extended rear fenders. I guess many of you have checked out You Tube on Quadrasteer.

Brian - it looks great with those Hummer wheels. I almost went that route. I can't remember if I asked which lift you have on that truck -- can you remind me?

I'm familiar with the sites you're talking about. I did a ton of reading on both before I pulled the trigger on buying mine. They're still a great resource!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Devin:

Your truck looks great, Like reading about all the HD upgrades everyone has mentioned.
Ddi you get a 105 trailer like you talked about?

brian90744

American Trekker
Devin.
The lift kit was a 6" lift by Pro-Comp $1800. with new frt driveshaft that doesn't increase the track width on lifted Chevys, I'm happy with it. thanks=brian

Brian - it looks great with those Hummer wheels. I almost went that route. I can't remember if I asked which lift you have on that truck -- can you remind me?

I'm familiar with the sites you're talking about. I did a ton of reading on both before I pulled the trigger on buying mine. They're still a great resource!

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Best Mod,
I installed a bigger trans cooler on my 03 chevy 1500 hd, and trans temp dropped 50%, I think the size was 12x9x2" around $80.00, fits in the same space.
thanks=brian

Devin W

Observer
Devin:

Your truck looks great, Like reading about all the HD upgrades everyone has mentioned.
Ddi you get a 105 trailer like you talked about?

Mark - I ended up picking up a service body trailer mounted on a truck chassis for dirt cheap. I had my rooftop tent mounted on it for a couple of months on adjustable uprights but bought a truck bed pop-top camper and put that in it instead (and sold my tent). So far I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had the trailer color matched to my truck and all of the rust taken care of (although I didn't really have any extensive body work done for dents and such since I'll drag it around in dirt). I put some fresh shocks on it and I'll probably have the hitch re-done so that it has better clearance at the tongue. I'll end up putting in extra propane and an outdoor kitchen in the exterior boxes along with the normal odds and ends. I also have an awning that will get tacked to the side of the camper. I picked up the camper quite cheap too and have been making a few easy repairs to it as well. Here are a few pics below.

With tent:
IMG_3280.jpg

With camper before paint:
IMG_3747.jpg

After paint and a little work on the camper:
IMG_4199.jpg

Devin W

Observer
Best Mod,
I installed a bigger trans cooler on my 03 chevy 1500 hd, and trans temp dropped 50%, I think the size was 12x9x2" around $80.00, fits in the same space.
thanks=brian

Brian - that sounds like a great idea now that I'll be towing more often.

brian90744

American Trekker
camper installed

Devon.
just installed 2007 NorthStar TC650, see pic
briannorthstar 1.jpg

Attachments

• northstar 2 copy.jpg
    northstar 2 copy.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads