What colour to paint a landrover for overlanding?

LUKEY

Is there any colours I should avoid painting my truck in for over-landing, I am planning on hitting all of Europe and Morocco and in years to come Africa too

I know in some/ alot of countries you cant have army colours especially in Africa and in some countries its an actual law etc etc

I liked the idea of having black but again I am concerned it may look to expensive and like a Mafia motor ( and Im not joking either) as Ill be having tinted windows in the back to stop prying eyes on the kit??

Not to keen on white as when Im not overlanding its my everyday motor and I dont want it to look like a council vehicle lol

Any I should avoid??

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hi Lukey,

sound like you know the score, yes you don't want to look military :) white is ok, if not then at least a white roof. How about going retro?

attachment.php

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Avoid dark colours for sure. White, even Sandglow if you are into CT, or any lighter hue or Series colour would be my suggestion. Some countries it wont matter as you get stopped regularly...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Sand is a very military colour - never could understand why Chris Scott has such a liking to it.

If you use Sand, then offset it with something bright or go for obvious gloss and loads of stickers

White roof is cool (no pun intended) if you've gone down the daft route of roof lights then you'll need a black bonnet which is unpleasant in warm places

Avoid White all over as the UN no longer have the love and respect they used to

I like Red. Red says "I'm not military or government" but it also says I am confident in my visability so treat me with a bit of caution and some respect. It's worked so far

Oilworker

Explorer
Sand always looks great on a Land Rover (Libyan Desert Tan was a LR color code).
But you know what, don´t worry too much, enjoy the trip ;)

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
I have alwasy like the Arles Blue Defenders, especially with the white roofs. Though the Epsom and more british racing type green that LR used (I cant remember the name, its not the Willow green which is more olive colored) have been my favorites. Those are more metallic green than the military olive drab. I like the red idea, especially with the white roof. Another color I have liked on Land Rovers is the burnt orange (not rutland red, or rojas red) that some of the early DIIs were painted. That was a cool color. Just some thoughts.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I like the Arles idea too- here is a 110 we did years ago, sorry for the poor image:

Attachments

• 110project16.jpg
    110project16.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 32

Gren_T

Adventurer
I like the blue with white roof looks good, sand/beige is also a millitary colour in the areas you have highlighted, i dont like red as it will fade to pink eventually.!;)
btw having a solid military colour eg green or sand is not an issue but camo patterns will raise eyebrows at a border.

black will show every mark, dent & ripple in the vehicle and is a very difficult colour to get right on an ali brick
what about Silver.. many different shades, light enough not to show the dirt .. and I like it.!

On a serious note if you are only doing a blow over I'd stick to the original colour to freshen it up as it will look crap as soon as a different colour in door jams, bonnet & rear tub are exposed.
& if Mr plod stops you he WILL notice the colour change.

have a look at the landrover/BMC Rover colour charts over the years they did have some nice colours that would move it away from all the other 90's the early blues would look great.

remember a colour change will affect the value, personally I would not buy a blown over vehicle unless it was really cheap so I could get it painted right. Also some colours are just not popular so if your going to sell it in a couple of years don't paint it purple.

I know of a Vampire 110 that had been partially converted to a camper and painted(badly) in a full orange & black tiger stripe by the crusty owner, he could not sell it for a bag of nuts. I passed it in Dec rotted in a field near Talgarth, I could have bought it as an Mot'd runner 5yrs ago for £350.
Nobody wanted it as it was so well know by the plod all over the south of the UK and would cost a fortune to do a decent job respraying it.

regards

Gren

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Sand is a very military colour - never could understand why Chris Scott has such a liking to it.
True, I wasn't thinking of that, even though that was one of his criteria.
My favorite colour I think is actually Marine Blue. It must be since 5 of the series I've owned were that. lol

tacr2man

Adventurer
Early landrover light green , FMHE there is only one colour scheme that has no downside i can think of its what I run and have done with various landrovers over many years and thats Zebra . People never view you as being too serious , and always gets a good reception , its also a good security measure in UK where landrover theft is a real problem It has good heat rejection , very noticeable safety wise . JMHO

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
A couple guys I know that drove across Africa recommended to stay away from any color that looks military such as green, tan. I believe that's why that infamous Land Rover 101 was painted orange.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94