Stormtrooper XJ Build thread

rdonahe

Observer
Hi all,

I'm finally getting a build thread off the ground, it's been on my to do list a long time. This progression started June 2010 as that's when I bought my XJ. It already had a 3" lift, and a Truetrac LSD at purchase time. I'm not aiming for anything over the top on this build. Just a capable all 'rounder. Anyway, the intent is to sift through my pix and document the mods to date, then keep things current. Thanks for indulging me...

First outing after purchase in June 2010:
DSC_0037.JPGDSC_0042.JPG

First camping trip, July 2010:
DSC_0148.JPGDSC_0176.JPG

First (minor) trail run w/obligatory flex shot, July 2010:
DSC_0074.JPGDSC_0099.JPG

This is kind of like a baby pictures album, sorry about that. No more "firsts" I promise. Modifications to come...

rdonahe

Observer
Let the modifications begin...

The rig came with BFG Mud Terrains and while great tires they were a bit noisy for me on the road. So I swapped them, and the wheels, out for BFG ATs mounted on Cragar Soft 8s.
DSC_0006.JPGDSC_0071.JPG

I also installed JKS quick disconnects on the front sway bar, removed the rear sway bar altogether and had an Aussie locker installed in the front axle. I'm not so great at taking pix when I'm working so no visuals for these mods.

MCObray

Explorer
Very nice thread you got going here. Don't you just love the endless amounts of scenery we got here in the PNW? Jeep looks great!

rdonahe

Observer
Next up (Sept 2010), front bumper trim and end cap removal for that ghetto fab look:
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG

Shortly thereafter reached this milestone out at Evans Creek ORV park near Mt. Rainier:
IMG_0105.JPGIMG_0107.JPG

rdonahe

Observer
October 2010, swapped the Hella fogs for a homebrew set of HID offroad lights. I took the $25 Harbor Freight light set and adapted a DDM Tuning set of 55 watt HIDs into them. They're great. I'd like a slightly wider focus on the beam but overall they're solid:
IMG_0468.JPG

November 2010, storage platform V1 complete. Passes the "does it hold a Bud Light" test w/flying colors...
IMG_0685.JPG

rdonahe

Observer
Feb 2011, the UPS man brought a Kargo Master Safari Rack. At this point in time I was in prep mode for a May trip through Southern Utah/Northern Arizona and the rack was a required component. Sorry for the poor pix of the rack, there are the best I have from the time. We even got some snow up here in rainy Seattle to mark the occasion:
IMG_1073.JPGIMG_1097.JPG
and another showing the rack (really an excuse to post a nice snow pic of my rig):
IMG_1111.JPG

Here I am in May this time at Bryce Canyon with more unexpected snow. Note modification content in pic circled in red; the all important ARB bottle opener!
IMG_1445.jpglarge_2126_ARB_Bottle_Opener.jpg

rdonahe

Observer
Sept 2011 - I finally tired enough of knocking off my flares every time I went offroad that I took the plunge and trimmed the fenders. I did the standard trim on the front and the cut & fold method for the rear. It took a little courage to make that first cut but once I got rolling it went fine. Somewhere in here I also removed the side door trim pieces and at the time of these pix am still in process of removing the adhesive, hence the black/grey horizontal lines down the midsection of the doors:
IMG_2094.JPGIMG_2097.JPGIMG_2102.JPG
IMG_2133.JPGIMG_2163.JPG

Exercising my newly acquired stuff room:
IMG_2176.JPGIMG_2226.JPG

A good comparo of June 2010 VS September 2011. Some would say it looked better before I started systematically reducing the value of my Jeep. To which I would respond, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :):
DSC_0042.small.JPGIMG_2200.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles