Black Beast Pt II - 2001 4Runner SR5

City_Rider

Adventurer
I have a question for your regarding your rear shocks mounts:

When you run your winter setup on stock rims, do your tires get close to the upper shock mounts when flexing? I am looking to do something different with my rear shock mounts to accept a wider range of rear shocks, but worry that outboarding them to the side of the frame would result in my tires hitting them under flex. I run stock 16 hole steel rims and 265/75/16's.

Thanks

Mike

Looks like they clear with the spacers on - I haven't flex it out to the max but I'll see if I can find somewhere to test it out when I am home again.

shmabs

Explorer
Very cool, let me know when you get it flexed out. If you could snap a few pictures of the clearance it would be most appreciated! What cargo nets are those?

Mike

City_Rider

Adventurer
You bet, I'll find a ditch to play in.

Cargo nets are Raingler brand - they aren't cheap but certainly work well for what I am using them for. Seem to be solid construction too. Best part? 3rd gen specific nets! I didn't have to do much measuring when I ordered them - fortunately my sleeping platform is pretty tall and the coverage of their TD90R 4Runner Barrier works out to be pretty darn good. Same for the roof rack cargo net - I just purchased their universal net which measured 42x82 if I recall correctly.

City_Rider

Adventurer
Any word on your winter setup hitting your shocks under flex?

Mike

I'll be home in a few days and I'll find something to flex out on - I don't believe they hit as my shock shafts were clean up to near the top during 'normal' driving... (I have perhaps a bit too much body roll...)

smiper

Observer
P6250235.jpg

This pictures cost me 20k.

City_Rider

Adventurer
This pictures cost me 20k.

It's only money right???

The 4Runner has been updated since and a bunch more coin thrown at it to get it where it needs to be. Running the best it ever has though - love it.

Here are a few updated pictures - I'll be updating the front page as well with a list of current mods.

IMG_4437_zps4030e981.jpg

IMG_3738_zpsb50b6ae5.jpg

IMG_0455_zps357c5c4a.jpg

City_Rider

Adventurer
Thanks for reviving this thread, this truck is sick!

Thanks! It's been a long, long time coming. That being said, I could not be happier with the end results - it's truly amazing on road, I now need to test it (and myself!) offroad.

I am slowly but surely updating the front page with hyperlinks to all of the items which I've used in modifying the 4Runner. In the past I have used various forum communities as my resources and I should attempt to give back something. Making a master thread also helps with keeping modifications organized and up to date for insurance purposes - ask me how I know...

City_Rider

Adventurer
Here is the results of my tuning adventure with a local shop using a Mustang Dyno. A clean bill of health (so to speak) after so many modifications is always nice to have, especially when this has been the largest test of my skills to date.

Anyways, here are the results - keep in mind that the RPM readings from 4800 up to redline / 5200 are often... messy. Apparently. So the maximum readings may come from spikes and such, the data between 4800 and 5200 needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Driveability is improved, seems very smooth and happy to comply with my requests. Doesn't have to do a rapid downshift on one notorious little ravine near me anymore so that's a sign of smoother power while cruising and after the OD kicks off. Happy with the results, hopefully this info helps others who are tuning. I rushed the exhaust and so I need to go back and cut off the 2nd catalytic converter and probably gain a couple more HP. As always, it's a work in progress.

My altitude is 900m for reference, also running the URD 2.2" supergrip pulley, 4.88 Nitro Gears from and back, 35" Yokohama snow tires.

Base URD Map Dyno Run

Tuning Complete - ECT On

Tuning Complete - ECT Off

Combined Maps - ECT On (Green) and ECT Off (Red)

Simulated 0-60MPH

R4 Controller Screen Capture - Map A - Timing

R4 Controller Screen Capture - Map B - 7th Injector

Dyno Videos
Run '1' - 3rd roll on into 2nd gear pull I believe

Run '2' - 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior