M101A2 Trailer builds

Nicoli

Just wondering who out there has gotten one of these trailers and how have you built them up? I have read weight is a concern with these trailers? How much weight can you get off these trailers to lighten them up?
Also has anyone tried Sierra 4x4 Trailers 3,500lb Axles-less suspension featuring Hollow rubber springs, instead of axles underneath it? I am thinking about getting one of these trailers, not to be dragged behind me on trails, but to be used as a firewood hauler and for camping? Any thoughts?

dfroman

I just started working on my m101a1. switched out the axle and wheels with dexter 3500# axle with electric brakes and matching hubs for my Tv as well as removal of 2 leafs and the shocks. I took the sides and tarp off as well. Just had it weighed at a cat scale and it came in at 1040lbs The I.D. Plate lists 1360lbs as the dry weight.
After my max coupler comes in I will replace the lunette hitch and landing gear.
I am pretty confident that replacing the tailgate with alumnium and cutting out a couple inessential body braces, I think sub 900lbs is very attainable (I'm shooting for 800lbs before I start adding weight back on)

Pikeman

Adventurer
I have a build going on, Mark Harley has one (just bought M101 for family hauler or something like that) and Texas FJ has one going on also. They work great for firewood haulers and utilitarian use. I personally think they make good base camp trailers and that is the plan for my trailer.

Nicoli

Thanks, I have prowling the boards here getting ideas. Is it a good idea to remove the brake system that comes with these trailers? Just trying to figure out if I am getting in over my head here.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
What are you towing it with?

My M101A2 had a bad brake system so I removed it all.
I tow with a 2002 GMC sierra 2500HD crew cab.
Don't even feel it back there.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I think the JK's look better with a 416 or 101

Attachments

• a74df133.jpg
    a74df133.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
a 116A2 frame sells for $400.00 around here.

For that price if I wanted something smaller I would build one starting
with a used utility or boat trailer "With a Title" Pa hates home built stuff!
That way you could go with your own revisions size, axle and design.

Attachments

• DSC04999.JPG
    DSC04999.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC05023.JPG
    DSC05023.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior