86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

fabjunkie

Observer
Good looking Burb. I like the dash bezel layout. Got any more in progress pics of it?

FYI, You need to turn that tranny cooler sideways before you burn your tranny up. In the vertical position it can get air trapped at the top and stop flow. Put the inlet on the top and outlet on the bottom.

warwgn

Explorer
not yet, have not really worked on it much in the last 6 months.

As for the AUX tranny cooler, I am thinking about that and how would an air pocket affect it, is the line pressure not high enough to purge the lines? I was thinking it returns into a vented trany so there should not be a problem since there is plenty of oppertunity for the air to escape. How does air get trapped in an open loop sump system?

fabjunkie

Observer
With the inlet/outlet at the bottom, the three 180* turns at the top can trap air. This is because as the fluid passes by it doesn't have to fill the entire void to turn over that peak. Therefore, it won't purge all the air out of the cooler. If enough air gets in one of those, it can block flow completely if it's enough to take up the volume of that whole 180* bend.

When you turn it sideways, the air has nowhere to get trapped.

warwgn

Explorer
ok I see what your saying and plan to change it, but I think it would not stop the flow of fluid only decrease the efficency of the cooler since it would loose that surface area to transmit heat. If I was having a problem of it running hot and only had this cooler that would be a good place to look.

I am running it into the radiator first then the cooler then the filter mounted in a good air flow. I also have a trans oil Temp between the filter and the trans to monitor how well it is cooling the fluid. I Might just try an experiment to see if it makes any differance in temp by putting the cooler with hoses up?

Anyway glad you pointed it out I will check into it for sure and will maximize my setup. I still have to connect the engine oil cooler, which is mounted exactly the same from the factory with the hoses entering from the bottom......strange they would do that, you would think it would be sideways or up? I do seem to remember the newer vehicles are sideways maybe for the engine oil?? What are your thoughts on that?

fabjunkie

Observer
You're right, it's unlikely that it will stop flow completely, but the efficiency can easily be decreased. I don't remember which way my stock one was mounted, but I think it was sideways.

I wouldn't mount it with the hoses up either as you end up with the same situation, just one less 180*. Not to say there is air in there, but why take a chance? At least you do have a gauge so you know what it's doing.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have never seen any trans cooler with hoses coming out of the top or bottom. They should come out the sides...

warwgn

Explorer
So was driving to work this morning and wound up behind a 2500HD Silverado and was checking out the mirrors, was thinking those would be really cool on the suburban when I am towing the camper.

2211010KZU.jpg

I know prolly nobody has put them on the Suburban yet but does not look like it would be too hard to do, of course these are power, heated and all that junk so would need to rob and pillage to get switches and junk, then fab up the mounts and connections on the inside.

Anyway, anybody got any expericance doing this sorta swap? I am sure they will not just bolt on and will require some sort of body mods on the doors to blend in and look right, but I think it would be a kick *** project...............just need the money now???

BBslider001

Diesel Head
here ya go...easy to install....$175 off of ebay. They are fro a 92-99 model though. I am not sure they will fit on your model year, but you could always fabricate something.

Attachments

• suburban 2012 011.JPG
    suburban 2012 011.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 23
  • suburban 2012 012.JPG
    suburban 2012 012.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 16

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
About the tow mirrors,

I bought an Ebay set for my 99 chevy (88-98 body style) manual adjust but with the LED signals and they are great, really love them. I only bought the LED ones because they didnt make the plain ones when I bought them. Paid $230 but they have come down since then.

I liked them so much I bought a plain set for my 99 GMC (99-06 body style) off Ebay for $142 and they flat out suck. They are on a bad angle, kind of tilted too far back which dosent allow the mirror faces to be moved far enough outward so you cant really see the other lane of traffic or your trailer without physically moving your body forward to get a good view. What they DO give a great view of is the side of my beaten up truck. Even in the extended position, they truely suck. I am going to try taking them apart to see if I can make some sort of adjustment.
Some of the aftermarkets for 99-06 are ugly IMO, look at the truck from front or rear, and the mirrors do not sit level enough, they are really tilted up on the outside bottom.

EDIT: Forgot to say, you may be able to find some cheaper, as they make them for 88-98, 99-06, 07-new and either way you have to make mounts so you have some flexibility as to what you buy. There are several 73-87 trucks Ive seen over the years that make a plate to replace the vent window, you can make mirror mounts on that maybe, but I think with these tall mirrors might be too high up there.

Heres something that can give you a better idea, the yellow truck has 99-up superduty mirrors which are similar http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487621&page=2

Have a look at how the 88-91 electric mirrors mount, that height is where you would probably need them, just at the bottom of the vent window since the 88-91 blazer suburban, astro/safaris and 88-98 GM's use the same mirror heads

Last edited:

warwgn

Explorer
Got bored today.

IMAG0777.jpg

IMAG0775.jpg

IMAG0772.jpg

IMAG0774.jpg

IMAG0771.jpg

IMAG0776.jpg

And it does rub...

IMAG0773.jpg

IMAG0778.jpg

IMAG0780.jpg

IMAG0779.jpg

Now back on the ground..

IMAG0782.jpg

IMAG0781.jpg

IMAG0783.jpg

IMAG0784.jpg

Purdy high

IMAG0785.jpg

Bottom of driverside door

IMAG0786.jpg

Rear diff is 11" off the ground.

IMAG0788.jpg

IMAG0787.jpg

Front fender

IMAG0789.jpg

Rear fender

IMAG0790.jpg

88Xj

Banned
How much lift is that? I was looking at this Burb a while back & the owner just reposted it a few days back..

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bar/3299430952.html
I may trade my jeep for it, + cash on his side. I know its a 1982, no A/c option:(, no radio, 350, sm465/203 I think. He's got 3/4 ton axles I guess..not sure what that entails. He says 4.10s', 12bolt & a 14 rear. I'd love to get a burb as it seems to be the ultimate upgradable vehicle. Diesel swaps..can seat 10 if you wanted, pull anything ect ect. Think you can give me the quick run down on them? He's going to come to me, we will split gas so we can look each others cars over..

warwgn

Explorer
Mine is a 6" lift on 37" tires.

Burbs are awesome, but to buy one look at everything close. Check for rust and make sure the 4x4 woks in high and low range, drive it forward and reverse with hubs locked in. And I have never heard of a 12bolt front diff? Good luck and look close at what he has to offer.

88Xj

Banned
YA I think I'll be taking pics of both axles and of everything else for that matter & posting up here to get guidence on it. I would love a burb & knowning this ones a 4speed manual it cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles