86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

warwgn

Explorer
Ok I got this 40 gallon monster out

IMAG1063.jpg

And wouldnt you know it!!

IMAG1064.jpg

It dont have bolts in those locations!!! Oh well needed to clean up in the frame and set the nuts in place for the reciver hitch.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Wow. This thing is coming along.. Very nice. Definitely need to subscribe to this one and keep watch.

PS, I love the nice garage setup. It looks very easily accessible. Very nice job.

warwgn

Explorer
One side is in, will work the other side tommorrow.

IMAG1066.jpg

Oh and for any of you who do this be sure to watch the front valance piece, it will go higher than the bumper and might hang up on the way back down.

IMAG1065.jpg

warwgn

Explorer
I am now registered in Mississippi, only $75 and my new tag will be here in about 10 days. I got a new name for the burb, from now on it will be called SUBZILLA!

IMAG1067.jpg

Yeah I know that is not what is says but can only put 7 letters on a plate so it will read SUBZILA, but it gets the point across.

I am now registered in Mississippi, only $75 and my new tag will be here in about 10 days. I got a new name for the burb, from now on it will be called SUBZILLA!

IMAG1067.jpg

Yeah I know that is not what is says but can only put 7 letters on a plate so it will read SUBZILA, but it gets the point across.

I always thought it was kinda cool here in NC we get 8.

warwgn

Explorer
Long day, got all the body bushings in and bolted down. Had to take the front bumper off to get the passenger side core support bolt out, that was not fun. But made it easy to adjust the valance, then started on the rear brake lines, didnt take any pics yet but cut out the big load level brake adjuster thing.

Turns out having the gas tank out is a huge plus for working on the rear brake lines.

warwgn

Explorer
So the issues! The rear heater lines are rusted out and lifting the body made them leak so had to put a bypass in place for now.

Looking at the exhaust to decide where to put the o2 sensor, I see the front drive shaft cv is gonna bind at droop. Also see I cant raise the cross member up and remove the tcase drop cause the pass side exhaust wont clear the crossmember. So now need to redo the exhaust on that side to solve a few issues..raise tcase back up, and install the long brace rod back on.

Looks like I will be getting a tubing bender!

Still need to clerance the the front CV to keep it from binding under droop. And gonna need to order about $250 of steel braided hose to fix up the rear heater, but that is down the road a bit.

So what is on the list now? Well I put the new oil sending unit in, hooked up the vacuum line for my Vac gage, and the new sender for the trans temp. Still need to weld in the bung for the O2 sensor, install the electric pickup for the speedometer, and build a harness to connect all the gauges nice and neat. Then put the gas tank back in and pull it out the garage. Then start doing body work.

Got a long road ahead and going back to work on Monday dont help the schedule, but helps fund the project so guess I have to.

warwgn

Explorer
Making more progress

IMAG1081.jpg

IMAG1082.jpg

Can sorta see how its marked on the back of the speedo

IMAG1083.jpg

Got the harness done for the 5 main gages, now to finish off the other 4 and then do the mating harness in the truck.

warwgn

Explorer
Ok so nine gages with all those wire have been reduced to two connectors:

IMAG1085.jpg

IMAG1086.jpg

Still have 4 wires left to put in the connectors but need to paint the bezel and install the turn and high beam indicators before I can wire them up. I now have a diagram to go by for wiring the mating connectors on the truck side, that is gonna be a chore, hope I dont get side tracked and star messing with other wiring.....

warwgn

Explorer
So why make a harness and go through all the effort?

So I can take all the gages out and finish the bezel and it will go back together in a snap.

IMAG1087.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles