86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

warwgn

Explorer
It has a bung low on the side of the pan for a temperature sender so just pull the sender and it will drain most of the pan. I plan to get a deep pan with cooling tubes in it in the near future so that one will have a drain plug and the temp sender.

warwgn

Explorer
Well it's in the truck now, jack worked great. Did find a big issue, seems my TH400 is a 27 spline shafted so now the tcase won't bolt up, so gotta find a new one or replace the input shaft. Also gotta do some exhaust work the crossover will interfere with the tcase so need to put a bend in it.

warwgn

Explorer
Got a 32 spline input shaft and a rebuild kit on order, hope they get here by Wednesday and can get it all built up ready to go back in on Saturday. Todays agenda will be finish bolting in the Trans and start running the harness for the computer, and still need to order some more stainless steel braided cooling line and -6AN fittings. Since this is a mid year 4L80E the fittings are much further back than they were on the TH400 wich were at the base of the bell housing so the line I made are a little to short and wont be able to stretch far enough.

I also think I might be able to find a shop not far from me that has a chassis dyno so once it is running and all good I want to run it down there and see what kinda of numbers I am getting at the wheels.

warwgn

Explorer
Trans is fully bolted in now and dipstick tube is in, pulled the pan to check the marking alignment and the full mark is spot on level with the top of the pan as it should be. Also checked the gap on the torque converter it is .134 between the flex plate and mating surface so i am good to go to bolt it up and not worry about the pump engagement.

Having issues adjusting the shifter though, have a B&m mega shifter and the cable is perfect in park but in gear it is holding the lever forward a bit. Gonna mess with it tomorrow and set the cable in gear and see how that does, think it would be a little better to have it solid in gear and off a touch in park if I can't get it spot on all around.

warwgn

Explorer
Well messed with it some more and it's spot on in all gears but off in park by about half the hole, think I am ok with that will just have to see once it's running. Got the -6an fittings for the trans today so put those in just now and got a good idea how the lines will need to be run so can order the rest of the fittings and hose after dinner.

barefoot boy

Observer
Warwgn, I may have missed it somewhere in the thread, but what transfer case are you running? Are you using the same transfer case adapter for the 4l80E as was used on the TH400, or did you modify it somehow?

warwgn

Explorer
yep it is the same adaptor as the TH400, the bolt pattern is identical on the 80E and the TH400 for a NP208 adaptor.

warwgn

Explorer
Was telling a young engineer at work about the transfercase, and he said what is that? So I explained what it is and what it does and he was amazed that I took it apart with no training or instructions, but the part of his questions that stuck with me was he asked how much money have I saved by doing all this work myself rather than paying to have it done.

You know that is a tough question, building and installing and engine, replacing a transmission and wiring in a computer to control it, rebuilding a t case, custom cross member, new exhaust, and cant even guess what it would have cost for the gauge cluster!! All that an more of course, that would be a ton of labor charges, not to mention finding someone who would do it the way I would want it done. I guess that is why most sane people just buy a new vehicle, there is no way it is feesabile to pay some one to do all the work and not be way upside down in value.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Warwgn you have the right attitude. Anybody can just buy a rig. Few can repair and rebuild their own stuff. Many people ask why I put so much money into an old 79 Chevy. Well the experience you learn can not be bought at any price. If the person I am talking to still cant understand what I am trying to tell them I usually end up saying.... `Some people spend thousands of dollars standing on a corner smoking a crack pipe, I spend thousands of dollars and get a cool rig! You see, no brainer!´ :Wow1:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Warwgn you have the right attitude. Anybody can just buy a rig. Few can repair and rebuild their own stuff. Many people ask why I put so much money into an old 79 Chevy. Well the experience you learn can not be bought at any price. If the person I am talking to still cant understand what I am trying to tell them I usually end up saying.... `Some people spend thousands of dollars standing on a corner smoking a crack pipe, I spend thousands of dollars and get a cool rig! You see, no brainer!´ :Wow1:

+2 Chilllwak and Warwgn. "Exquiro Est Restituo!" "Search and Repair!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior