86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

warwgn

Explorer
Just not sure a 700R4 would be strong enough, but would love overdrive. I think the long term will be getting a gear vendor. If I switch to a 700R4 I will need to change the t-case too since it is a 32 spline in put.

warwgn

Explorer
Howdy folks, well just about ready to start again. The TH400 is about done now so will be coming out and I am working with Jakes Performance to build me a new 4L80E, so gonna try that route again. It will come with a new converter and stand alone controller system so hope I have much better luck with the 80E this time around. I am sure I will need to adjust the drive shaft lengths again and rework my cross member a little or at least drill new holes and mount it futher back by about 2 inches if I remember right. Not the cheapest option in the world, but it will make it more usable and should improve the gas milage quite a bit from what I am getting now.

should be starting this in mid October if all goes well. Until then gonna try and replace the A/C compressor before it locks up and ****s a belt, the A/C does not work now anyway, but the clutch or bearing is bad in the one I got so need to get something in there until I am ready to do all the A/C back up and get it working. Also gonna start on the center console I guess, but need to plac where to mount the new trans controler in it too.

Well lots of fun in store soon.

warwgn

Explorer
I am almost positive the TH400 is bad but not 100%, it did indicate it was getting really hot like 210* out of the cooler so not sure how hot it was in the pan or up in the trans? And as it warms up it seems like you have to give it a little more throttle to move it down the road and on inclines or hills it seems much weaker than it used to. Just shows you how tuff a TH400 really is, if you remember the line was kinked when the first engine was put in by the engine builder, then I had the line blow off the radiator as I was leaving my house one day and got about a mile down the road befor I noticed the smoke and trail of tranny blood on the road behind me, then turned around and drove it home another mile and not a drop was pumping out of the line by the time I got home. Also when the piston went out on the last engine it got up over 220 degrees a couple times on the oil temp gauge while sitting in traffic, so I am purdy sure the clutches are toasted even though I can still drive it.

So what do you guys think sound like it's time to get the 4L80E?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I say go with the 4L80E. I have it in my diesel Yukon and it works great. I am sure you will love that transmission...:drool:

warwgn

Explorer
Put my order in today and will take the bike to pick it up on Oct 17th. Will be about a 1000 mile day but still will be cheaper than shipping and get to sneak a ride in.

warwgn

Explorer
All set up now, just paid for the trans (that hurt $3850) so they will get the case machine work under way and performance parts on order today, and have it built up, dyno tested and ready to pick up by OCT 17th. Then I just gotta figure out what I am gonna use to get the TH400 out and the 4L80E back in, may see if I cant rent a jack or buy a motorcycle lift jack from HF and that might work with some bloks added.

Wont be long and the fun begins again!!

warwgn

Explorer
Yep, but that gets me a bullet proof over drive. That price include the torque converter the trans and the computer with tps conversion for a carb. No shipping since I am gonna ride over on my goldwing and pick it up, will save me about $10.00 doing it that way!

warwgn

Explorer
Since I am gonna put 200 Lbs of awesome in the trailer I figured I better upgrade the running gear. It had 8" wheels and 4 ply tires that were only 16" tall, it did fine even running 80 MPH, but got me a set of 12" wheels and 20.5" tall 6 ply tires so at speed the bearing will see less speed and heat not to mention these are rated load range c and 950 Lbs vs B and 575 Lbs that were on there. Put the wheels on and repacked the bearings last night so should be no problem at all going forward hauling anything I want as far as the trailer is concerned.

Sits just a touch nose down, which is good should make it pull better.

The fenders rub just a touch so will need to get the Sawzall out and cut the brackets off and weld them back on a little higher up. Guess I have a project for when I get home today, but will be ready for next weekend to go to Dallas and pick up the transmission. Then the project will begin, still need to get a tranny jack and found one at HF for $89 bucks so I can weld on a better cradle that sits a little higher so it can reach the tranny and make it easy. Then gotta install it and wire it up, program it, and get the driveshafts redone for the new length and will be ready to drive. Gotta get all this done and rewire the trailer plug before Thanksgiving so I can haul the camper 200 miles south for that weekend. Should be a good test for gas milage and to see how it pulls with the new set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles