Jerry Cans - Photos + Questions

Spargman

Adventurer
Not sure if this is the right section...but technically i do store gas in my jerry cans. :)

Overall:
Just picked up a trailer that came with x10 jerry cans (x4 fuel + x6 water)...the gas cans are 10yrs old and were actively used, the water cans are also 10yrs and have never been used.

Questions:
The "water" cans are blue in color which to my understanding is not the universal color for water. Do water and kerosene have different paint internally? Is it safe to fill these with water? Any recommendations for cleaning? (they're spotless, but 10yrs old is 10yrs old)

Here are some photos of the red jerry cans. There is a residue at the bottom that doesn't smell like gas, but it could just be REALLY old gas. Can they be used? If so, any recommendations for cleaning?

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo1.jpg

For the red cans, the exterior is in pretty good shape, but I would like to repaint them. Can i simply primer + red paint or is there something special I need to do?

Any recommendations for either the blue or red is really appreciated thanks!

Thanks!!

Spargman

Adventurer
good idea on the POR!

Is it safe to put water in a blue jerry can? (this can has never been used and inside is perfect)

BIGGUY

Adventurer
You could probably mix in a little bleach (not scented) with some water and shake it around in the blue cans and then rinse with clean water to clean them if you wanted.

apsilon

Observer
FWIW here a medium blue is still the colour for water and I believe that colour is still NATO approved for water. In addition a bright blue is for chain oil and light powder blue for kero.

As for the residue I'd put a little fuel in one and see if it lifts the residue. For the water cans if they look clean then I agree with Bigguy, mix in some bleach and let sit then empty and rinse.

clandr1

Adventurer
I would put some seafoam in the gas can and let it sit for an hour or two. Then swish it around and see what comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94