Tire size for a one ton truck 235/85/16 vs 265/75/16??

Hello folks,

I'd like to hear your opinion on tire sizes.

I currently have a 94 K3500 crew cab, long box.
This rig will see 25% logging roads and 75% pavement.

And I plan to haul around a Hard side camper but no towing planned.

Now that the current tires are pretty much shot, I am in the market for a set of new tires.

The truck currently has 245/75/16's on them.
And I plan to put on some bigger rubbers on the truck and came down to two choices.

235/85/16 vs 265/75/16??

based on my googling skills, they are basically the same height but the 235's are 1 inch narrower.

Would it be beneficial for me to get the narrower tires?

I know the 265's have a higher load limit by 400lbs/tire. But they cost abotu $60 more per tire.

I am not just opting for narrow vs. wider tires going off road(this is a crew cab, long box truck after all) but more so, in terms of MPG, hauling the camper and daily driving.

I've been a faithful believer of BFG AT's and they are the cheapest tires I could get from Costco.
However, I think I might try other tires, Michelin LTX AT2's or BFG commercial Traction T/A.
Any thoughts? I want them to last long!! :D

Thanks

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I switched from 245-75-16 to 235-85-16 on my 2002 GMC 2500HD.
The 235-85-16 tires did increase fuel mileage 1-2 mpg.
I like the look of them and they don't scrub on turns like a wider tire.
I run Highway Hankooks in the summer and BFG commercial traction in the winter.

I am happy with both.
I run the same on my trailer.

Attachments

• sierra.JPG
    sierra.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC05293.JPG
    DSC05293.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 130

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I also love the BFG ATs, but we run the commercial TAs on some of our work rigs. (Mitsubishi Fuso, and Dodge 4500). I would look at both. I would, however look at either a 255-85 R16 or a 285-75 R16. They are a bit taller and will offer you more clearance in the already low to the ground GMC truck.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have E rated Hankook ATMs 265 75 16s on my 2000 GMC 3500...they are great all around tires...

ExpoMike

Downside of the 85 series tires is, you are not likely to find a replacement in stock at most any tire store. If you really end up needing one in a hurry, it could be a problem. The 265 or 285/75 you are likely to find a replacement (might not be same brand) at almost all tire stores, in stock.

I was going to try the 255/85-16 but did not want to risk not finding a tire when/if I ever really needed one. Also the 85 series seems to be very limited in what's available (brands, tread type, etc.).

Just food for thought...

@ExpoMike, you have a very valid point. More shops are likely to have 75 tires than 85 tires. But that doesn't really concern me. As if I were to get a flat and the shop didn't have a 235/85, I'd just buy a set of two 265/75's and put them on the rear. But that is just what I would do for temporarily.

@redthies, I don't think my truck will clear 255/85's :(

My own thoughts regarding the two different sizes is that IF the narrowness of the tires does not effect hauling the camper, I'd like to go with the 235/85's and save myself some cash.

But I like the idea of the wider tires on a BIG truck for more stability :) but how much stability you gain from 1" wider tires I am not quite sure of.

Plus the 265/75's have about 400lbs more load capacity.

I believe my rims are stock and are 6.5" wide, so 235 would fit better...

Hmm tough decision again! :D

1stDeuce

Explorer
To some extent it matters where you're using the truck too. If you commonly drive in soft terrain like wet/muddy logging roads, the extra flotation of the 265 is nice. I had 235/85's on my '96, and I have a set of 235/80R17's for the '06. They are great mileage tires, and work fine in the soft if aired down some, but when they're hard, they will cut to the bottom. This works well in snow and shallow mud, but no so good in soft mud where the bottom is deep enough to cause problems... Oh, the 235's are also almost impossible to hydroplane, even at 60mph with several inches of standing water!

So if your roads are hard surface, go 235 for mileage, and if you need a little extra flotation without the need to air down, the 265.

BTW, You might check the 235/85R16 Cooper STMaxx. It has a slightly wider tread than the BFG AT of the same size, which is IMO really narrow.
Good Luck!
C

BCHauler

Adventurer
I have a fullsize crewcab 4x4 and run 235/85/16 tires during the winter. I regularly haul an 8' truck camper, and full bed full of firewood. That size is good on the highway, good on fuel, very common size if you need a replacement, and inexpensive. Also a good choice for the Wet Coast climate (ie. smaller footprint so less hydroplaning). Admittedly they don't look all that beefy though. I picked up a used set of 35's for that.

wirenut

Adventurer
Since you'll be hauling a hard side camper I'd get the 265s since they have 400 pounds more capacity. That's 800 pounds total. Hardside campers are heavy and tire capacity is usually a problem Make sure to get E load range.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I don't know if Expomike had availability issues because of his area but I have never had an issue as far as getting a 235/85/16 tire. I have bought a couple sets so far and they were always in stock or sent to me within a day(when I installed my own tires). I have noticed plenty of choices in 85 series as well. I like the tire size. I prefer my "Hankook-whatever" that is on my truck to my previous "Hercules-whatever" that was on it before. If you want specifics I can look but I just remember they had general brand name and a second name.

I like the narrower tire in the snow and the shallow mud I get into. I will second the 235/85's resistance to hydroplaning as my truck is rock solid in any water that is lower than the hood(about 4')! I hit stuff I am unsure about with speed and momentum so I like the truck to dig in and have stability in sloppy conditions. Normally I don't take my truck through anything deep as it is 3 tons and I have a dirtbike for screwing around though so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

greengreer

Adventurer
I went from 265/75 to 235/85 on my '98. Very happy with the narrower tire, better in snow, quieter and cheaper. If only 255/85/16 was a more common size that would be my preference. 235/85/16 is available in near any tread at most tire shops around here, same with 265's and 285's.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Your tire ? for K3500

I suggest Good Year Silent Armor in 285/75/16 (e) they are load rated at 3,750 lbs. When aired down they would still have the load capacity to operate your K3500 safely. I like the tread pattern which is trail friendly and great on paved surfaces. However, the lower trailing edge about six (6) inches of your front fender (s) will need to be rolled or trimmed for tire clearance at full turn.

As a side bar; When going to larger diameter/width tires expect control arm bushings to wear quicker, suggest polyurethane graphite impregnated like Energy Suspension (I have no affiliation) black bushings. Aside obvious suspension/steering components poly bushings will last much longer than rubber bushings and will keep your tires squarely on the road surface.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles