1986 VW Westfalia in Los Angeles, CA

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Yup, that's right, it's for sale or trade. My gf and I split, and I'm looking to get a more aggressive camper again. Since I'm carrying my dirtbike more and more, I'd like to have a pickup and slide in camper (like a FWC) to be able to get up to more remote places. Also, it would be easier to use a pickup vs camper if I do single day moto trips.

2.1 Liter with 107,500 miles. No rebuilds that I know of. I am supposedly owner #3. I used it as a camper so like the previous owners (obviously from the low mileage) we only drove it for camping.

$15,000 or trade for pickup w camper

Pros:
New in tank water pump for the camper
New water delivery lines.
New faucet like a sink faucet sprayer (it stretches out of the window above for a cold shower in a pinch)
Foot switch by GoWesty.
Dual Optima Yellowtops under the rear seat.
All interior lights replaced with High Output LED kit from Van-Cafe.
Voltminder mounted above closet.
Pioneer speakers, subwoofer and headunit with iPhone/USB hookup. Woofer will need replacing soon.
New radio antenna.
Camper electric runs separate from starting batteries.
The engine runs top.
I've performed all maintenance according to the Bentley Manual and have written it all down.
Stainless steel cooling pipes and fresh radiator from previous owner (prof done).
New exhaust system from Van-Cafe.
Trailer light kit from GoWesty.
Pots, pans, silverware, etc.
I put fresh BFG A/T tires on it, sprayed the rims with wheel paint and put VW hubcaps on.
Custom rear bumper with integrated tow hitch. 2'' receiver.
Airlift airbags in rear springs with easily accessible air lines in wheel wells.
Spare brake pads from BusDepot.
Poptop shocks by JackBombay (TheSamba)

I have tried to keep this van as original as possible - no tricking it out, no special air filters...

Cons:
Original paint is in good condition, but the front was resprayed at some point.
The back left quarter panel is dented from two tire blowouts.
Couple dents here and there.
Fridge does not work - I use an Engel.
The propane is leaking near the valve. It's a slow leak, but the tank is now empty and I haven't had the time to dab the lines with soapy water to find the bad connection. Should be an easy fix according to www.thesamba.com.
-------------

This is a great van, but I want to get back into backcountry camping that this van just can't do. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this baby down to Baja right now! I just camped in Gorman over the weekend and was nice and toasty in the 30 degree weather with a buddy heater.

I'm not in a hurry to sell, but my new situation of single life means I can get more aggressive (again) in my camping time and offroad fun.

Please ask all questions on this thread so others can benefit.

LOTS OF PICS IN MY ADVENTURE BRIGADE BLOG BELOW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94