Dual Batteries

crossbowme

I'm near the end of the major modifications to my Expedition vehicle ('11 Titan PRO-4x). However, one problem I haven't been able to resolve - whether or not to install dual batteries. There's absolutely no room in the engine compartment for a decent size extra battery so it will have to go in the bed where I'll sleep. That in itself is no big deal - I slept with batteries in my sailboats for 40 years. However, I am concerned about making my systems more complicated than they need to be. My reason for the second battery is my Warn M12000 winch which I'm sure will eat up electrical power when in use, plus I have some other add on electrical stuff (radio, etc). In any case, I want to be sure I can always get a start. If I don't go with the extra battery I'll carry a quality portable jump start device.

So, my question is this - for some one who often travels alone and in relatively remote areas, which is the best route? Is there a better option? Thanks.

keezer37

Explorer
Perhaps an alternative would be to keep a AGM battery on a tender at home and take it with you as a backup when you go. They can stay on the charger for years as is typically done in a backup sump system. You'd have to investigate this further. I do not have experience with this but on the surface, I see nothing wrong with it.
If you're alone and in the middle of nowhere and a dual batt setup is a costly and labor intensive when you have to do it in the back. I did this. It's a good bit of work for sure.

theksmith

Explorer
i'm running duals in the rear of my SUV (link...) but for years i just carried a JNC300XL portable jump starter (link...), they are cheap and small but get the job done even for a V8 (if the job is needing an emergency backup). had to take it out every few months and top the charge off is all. of course it won't give you extra capacity for fridges, winches, and other sparkle - but it will get you home when you just left something on all night.

41tQRd3RCUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

crossbowme

Thanks for your comments. I think I'll try the jump start route and see how it works out. theksmith - that is a real professional looking dual battery installation. Wish I had room for something like that install.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
How about on the frame of the truck? A little battery box mount may be easy to fab if your frame allready has plenty of holes in it. Then just attach an Aluminum Summit battery box.

I'm trying to put an air compressor on my frame. But everyone puts them on the outside of the frame rails where road spray soaks it. I may have to build a box or cram it into the crowded area on the inside of the frame.

A simple battery deosn't really care it it gets dirty or wet like a more complex compressor, so that' really isn't a problem. I may mount my batteries outside my frame rail.

crossbowme

Funny you mention the frame. I have been wondering about the same thing. There's some space on the right rear that that would be be pretty good. I could always put it in a marine battery plastice battery box. I wonder if anyone has tried using the frame.

I like your forum name. I think I have seen the 13th Warrior a number of times and still like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94