tents vs fire?

Cody1771

Explorer
Let me ask a somewhat dumb Q. here...
While I agree with most of the above I also don't sleep well in clothing... which takes away from the experience...
I agree with the theory that the tent will heat up a bit with respiration and such... but I'm wondering if one was able to make a stable container that was the size of say a Coke can and put a small candle in it ?? Should it get knocked over it would be contained and probably just extinguish.
I understand the flame to nylon tent material arguement, I'm wondering about if having the flame contained makes it a possible idea...

Go easy on me...

Curt

candels dont put out much heat at all, if your really that worried Coleman makes a small heater that screws onto the top of butane bottles but i would never leave one running unintended. if you really are worried about getting that cold at night i think a battery powered heated blanket might be enough, i slept in a +5C bag in -10C this year (wont do that again...) and was able to stay realtivly warm in my own skin with a small battery blanket i borrowed from my wife, they are only good for one night though as they will kill the batteries. get a -5C or a -10C bag for winter camping and be done with it, i have a -10C double wide sleeping bag i got from Cabelas that keeps me and the miss's quite warm in teh winter, and me super warm if i twist up in it when im by myself. it was about $78

Caoboy

Adventurer
Get an emergency blanket, the space blanket kind. Line the floor with that. Then put your pads on top of that, and your sleeping bag. Line the sleeping bag with another blanket. Wear your beanie, and some warm socks, and pajamas...that's about it. IDK what else you'd really need.

Explorer
30 degrees is not very cold once you're in a tent and a sleeping bag, you'll be just fine.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
30 degrees is obviously not that cold and i know that being from ohio, but i have never slept outside in anything colder than 65 degrees,

i've also slept on the ground no tent before, only bad thing was we woke up soaking wet covered in dew

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
We had a 'cold' outing last year in our VERY three season tent.

It was only supposed to get to 42f but it got down to 22f. We had 15 degree mummy bags and it was chilly but we survived. I was a little cold because my zipper would not close all the way.

My wife kept warm with a chihuahua in her bag since dog's run about 102f body temperature it's like having a little heater in there.

aknightinak

Three pages of good advice.

Make sure your bladder is nice and empty when you crawl in. It's amazing how much heat the body wastes in keeping the waste water warm.
I dedicated an old BPA-full Nalgene to be a midnight break bottle, as well. Mark it! You don't want to drink out of it again. It helps the night's sleep tremendously to not have to race around in the cold to relieve yourself then try to warm back up again. And - you get an instant hot water bottle out of the deal.

Chili

Explorer
I have a mid level mummy bag,15 degrees or so. The last time I camped in the 20s or 30's I slept in a t shirt and underwear with a stocking cap. I stuffed a bunch of my other clothes in the bag to take up space.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Ill repeat what have said and add a few things. Air mattress are no good unless they are backpacking ones with down or some loft in it. Dont skimp on a sleeping bags or you will regret it. If you are using your cheap colmen bah bring extra blankets for sleeping on and covering with. I know who camp all there life and are just now spending money on good gear. I know my marmot or any other big name will last me a life time. If your can dont skimp on gear, buy twice for cheap or buy once and last you years. something like that lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles