Braille Batteries

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Braille Battery

Anyone familiar with these? What are the positive and negative things about lithium ion batteries. Anyone input would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Li-Ion batteries have their place but I don't think they're what you need in our sort of game. At today's state of design, they lose capacity pretty fast.
But they're really light compared to the same amperage batteries of more traditional design.

I've been curious about Braille and would love to get a pair of their golfcart batteries to long-term test in my teardrop. I wouldn't want to pay for the pair, just get a pair...

reece146

Automotive Artist
A buddy of mine has a Li-Ion battery in his S2000 race car. He bought it to drop the weight of a regular lead acid battery. Works fine but I don't think I'd want to use one in a truck. It won't have the reserve required or the ability to hold a charge unattended long enough IMO.

With trucks we don't need to be that concerned with weight to go to those extremes. In my S2000 track car (still road driven) I stuck a small Odyssey in to replace the lead acid battery and have been happy with that. Come to think of it, I put one in my Cherokee as well.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I'm not really concerned with weight. It's a nice plus though. They just seem to have nearly twice the amperage that the same group battery in a regular one has. My concern is their shelf life. I never leave my vehicle without a charger attached if I leave it undriven for more than a week. I also run a 250a alternator. I don't run a fridge. How well would they hold up to some heavy duty winching?

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Phew...! I thought this was going to be a thread about flashlight batteries printed in brail for the blind!!:snorkel:

ssssnake529

Explorer
I had one in my sports car. Lighter than the stock battery, but it lasted only 13 months before it stopped working.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I had one in my sports car. Lighter than the stock battery, but it lasted only 13 months before it stopped working.

Did you keep the battery on a charger or did you just let it sit for weeks on end without charging?

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Did you keep the battery on a charger or did you just let it sit for weeks on end without charging?

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
It doesn't matter --- at least not yet. The technology will catch up but right now they lose about 20% of their ability to maintain a charge per year.
It's not winch friendly at all.

Look at their other batteries though. Look at a series application of a pair of the golfcart batteries. 225 amps.

2x6VoltinSeries.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz