The replacement - 2004 HDJ100R Landcruiser

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately I don't have too many photos of the installation process but out with the old in with the new:

IMG_1010_zps78fd0cee.jpg

Can you spot the issue here:

IMG_1012_zps5623d59c.jpg

This shot should give a better perspective.

IMG_1014_zpscd40da86.jpg

That was the slop in the steering rack bushing bolt on the passenger side. So both bushings were replaced with poly units. It's no wonder things felt a bit sloppy in the front end. While the front end was in bits, I also replaced the upper control arm bushings and the lower front inner bushings on both sides with poly units. They were starting to show some wear and were causing the front end geometry to move around under power causing the torque steer and tire wear issues. All is good now.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Let there be light!

The final modification instalment for the next 6 to 12 months is better lighting. I was considering my options for quite some time between the new ARB Intensity lights or some tried and trusted LightForce HID. Primarily due to availability at the time of the install, plus the fact that LightForce had a promotion where they included the following with a set of lights made the decisions an easier one:

• Wiring loom
  • One set of filters
  • One filter case
  • One hat
  • Anti theft cross bolts
  • Anti theft nuts

I opted for a set of the Genesis 50w HID both in spot form but got the combo spot/spread filters. Been working fine for the long distance outback touring work we have been doing. I'm looking for the reach down the road and the LightForce 50w HID's delivers exactly that.

IMG_1072_zps1c487ff3.jpg

IMG_1074_zps12c446ce.jpg

You might thinks this is an add for LightForce but it's not, these were paid for out of pocket. :sombrero:

That's just about it for this build, now it's time to put in some serious distance touring but more on that later...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Pierre, I just recently replaced my rack bushings with the Superpro stuff, major difference. Alignment shop said I had a bad TRE based on the slop, it was all the big "D" bushing on the rack itself. Replaced that and steering is tighter than it has been since I owned it. Plan to do my lower control arm bushings when I do the SPC Light Racing uppers. What part number did you use for the lower bushings?

Digging the new lights :cool:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
What part number did you use for the lower bushings?

Kurt, I did have some help from the Australia resident 100 IFS LandCruiser guru Mr. McRae of Auto-Craft. Found out about his work round about way via the Slee website as one of their only authorised international dealers right here in Australia.

On the 2002 HDJ100R there was a change to the steering rack mounting configuration from one bolt and "D" bushing to pre 2002 to two bolts only after 2002. Both bushings on the bolts were replaced with SuperPro units and a modified "D" bracket was supplied to add additional support to the steering rack thanks to Auto-Craft's knowledge.

I should clarify, the only bushings on the lower control arms that were replaced were the front lower inner ones. The ones towards the inner rear of the vehicle are stock rubber. Part number is SPF2143K. I do know that they also make different compounds and Auto-Craft brings in custom batches made with 90 Duro as they've proven to last longer in the Australian conditions. Not sure what'a available stateside.

I can say that once the steering rack, upper control arm bushings and lower control arm bushings were installed, the 100 felt like it was on rails driving down the road compared to before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste