The replacement - 2004 HDJ100R Landcruiser

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Nice 100 series. :victory: Im surprised you had to bring one all the way from Perth.

Yeah, the manuals from 2004 or newer are very difficult to find in good condition. I also wanted one with less than 150 000 Km on it thus the long distance hunt.

Those dash mats are supposed to come with adhesive backed velcro tabs that keep them in place. Ive had them on all of my cars for the last 10 years and they do a good job of protecting the dash from the sun.

I was wondering that. This one does not have the velcro but I've used a zip tie in the vent to keep it in place.

Cheers,
P

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I was wondering that. This one does not have the velcro but I've used a zip tie in the vent to keep it in place.

Cheers,
P

You can get the double sided tape and velcro tabs from supercheap. A lot of people dont like using the tape on their dash ,hence ,you have dash carpets sliding around.
Zip tie is a good idea

pfran42

Observer
Is there any way could post some pics of the overhead center console? Also, does in attach using factory mounting points or does it require drilling?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
The roof console does require you to drill four small holes in the sheet metal for secure fastening. No big deal really. The most difficult part was sorting out the wiring...

A few photos of the console in place with iCom 440 Pro radio.

P1010687.jpg

P1010689.jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Outback Roof Console - Installation dramas

I originally had this posted over on a Aussie forum (LCOOL.org = LandCruiser Owners On Line) for some help but may be useful for 100 series owners here considering a roof console.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues fitting an Outback Roof Console?

I picked one up for my 2004 HDJ100R (Turbo diesel IFS) Landcruiser this past Friday but had two issues as follows:

First
The three wire loom supplied said to connect as follows:
  • Red to red
  • White to white
  • Yellow to yellow

Sounds easy except there is no yellow! I'll get some pictures tomorrow to show you the factory Toyota wiring colours. I tired a few different configurations but only managed to get the master console on/off switch to work the led lights. I could not get it to switch individually or get the lights to come on when the door opens.

Second
On the rear mounting bracket there are two nutserts (threaded inserts) to which the two rear mounting bolts for the console thread in with the console on the roof. The only catch is that the bolts provided seem to be about 20 mm too short. There are no other fasteners provided that fit.

Has anyone else had similar issues during fit up?
Cheers

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Roof console - wiring sorted

Managed to get it sorted last night. In the roof of the 100 there are two connectors as follows:

One two wire connector with these colours:
Solid red
White with black line

One three wire connector with these colours:
Solid red with grey bands
White with black line and grey bands
Green with grey line and grey bands

To wire up your console do as follows:
  • Put the roof console red wire into the red wire from the two wire connector.
  • Put the roof console yellow wire into the white with black line wire from the two wire connector.
  • Put the roof console white wire into the green with grey line and grey bands wire from the three wire connector.

That way the dome lights on the console will operate when the doors are open or via the individual switches on each light. The master switch at the front of the console will also kill all the lights (i.e. what used to be the "off" button on the factory console).

Sorry no pictures to post yet but I did take a few. I'll get to posting them up shortly.

I did have to source longer bolts for the rear of the console (ie 10 to 15 mm longer that the ones supplied with the console).

Cheers

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
These are the two connectors your will find when removing the stock console.

P1010541.jpg

Here is how I wired the console up.

P1010542.jpg

Hope this helps someone else.
Cheers.

Warrenpfo

Very nice rig you have there, just what I am looking to do to mine...when I get it.

Out of interest how do you find a black car in the Australian heat/sun??

You mentione having to drill 4 holes intot he roof to mount the console i assume the holes are into the cross members and not through the roof??

I am looking to fit one and thought i would ask.

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Out of interest how do you find a black car in the Australian heat/sun??

You mentione having to drill 4 holes intot he roof to mount the console i assume the holes are into the cross members and not through the roof??

A black vehicle in Australia is very hot to touch but with today's AC technology, the interior temps are fine. The only other gripe is that it's impossible to keep clean!

Yes, the holes are into a sheet metal cross member not the roof. Pretty straight forward really, key is to get yourself a drill bit stop (small collar with a set screw in it to limit the dept of penetration of the drill bit).
Cheers,
P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Catching up on maintenance

It's been a very busy 6 months due to work commitments, visitors from abroad and a bit of fun time in between. The cruiser has been performing very well and has done everything asked of it. Towing with this vehicle is a dream by comparison to the 1HZ 80 however, I miss the robust feel of the 80. If it's very difficult terrain I'd feel more comfortable in the 80 that being said, the 100 is no slouch. If fact it's may drawback is the extra size. Still very happy with the decision.

So it was time for some maintenance, one item I had not addressed yet was to check the valve clearances on this 24 valve diesel.

Photo of the intake removed on the table:

P1010761.jpg

Photo of the top of the engine with valve covers removed, a bit intimidating at first but with a Toyota factory manual and lots of reading on some aussie forums, it worked out:

P1010763.jpg

I'm now set for another 10 000 Km's!

I had been waiting for this little gem to show up thanks to a group buy on LCOOL.org, any guesses as to what it is?

P1010682.jpg

Cheers,
P

eleblanc

Adventurer
On my 100, while i was there i pop out all injectors and sent them for service.

So it was time for some maintenance, one item I had not addressed yet was to check the valve clearances on this 24 valve diesel.

P1010763.jpg

I'm now set for another 10 000 Km's!

Cheers,
P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
On my 100, while i was there i pop out all injectors and sent them for service.

Good idea. I'll be inspecting these after our Cape York trip and may consider having them serviced at that point.

Intercooler! :ylsmoke:

Bingo!

One of the forum members on LCOOL.org here in Victoria Australia used to work for Safari Power and was the brains behind the development of these intercoolers. He no longer works for Safari Power but still holds strong ties with the company. He regularly organises group buys for some of the Safari gear including their snorkels, intercoolers and exhaust systems. Out of interest, Safari Power used to manufacture what they called High Output packages for the HDJ100R vehicles, the kit included the following:

• Dtronic performance chip - still considered to be the best module on the market. Sadly they are no longer producing new ones that being said they still have stock to support customers with existing units.
  • Larger intercooler
  • 3" performance exhaust

This cruiser came with a Steinbauer chip and 3" exhaust. It was only missing the larger intercooler...

Here is a photo of the OEM vs Safari aftermarket unit:

P1010693.jpg

Fitted to the vehicle, it was a very very tight fit:

P1010695.jpg

The last piece of the performance improvement process will be to spend some time on a four wheel dyno to fine tune things. :sombrero:

Cheers,
P

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste