In Mexico- need new rear coils/shocks for my '95 4runner

Cesar99

CapitolSouthbound
I am currently in Mexico City in search of new rear springs for my '95 4runner after my Airlift 1000 lift system gave out. Can't seem to find any parts for the 4runner since this mode never made it to Mexico. Anyone know where I can possibly find new/longer springs here in Mexico? I need to raise the rear another 3/4 inches.

Any help form Mexican 4x4ers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cesar
www.capitolsouthbound.com

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
You will not find it in Mexico, period.

I feel your pain on the Airlift, total junk. Mine also failed a bunch on a trip to Panama. I even had a 2nd set of Airlift bags shipped to me in Mexico when mine failed and those failed me too! If you have holes in the air bag you can plug them up with tire plugs. The plastic top cap on the air bags will break and have sharp edges, I suspect this is what has happened on yours. You can take the air bag out and clean up these edges and make them smooth. This will reduce the chance for more leaks a lot. If the air bags are not repairable...

I strongly suggest buying some Firestone air bags made for your truck or for the 1st Gen Tacoma, ie up to 2004. They are 10x more buff then the Airlift and have a much better mounting set up. I put these on my truck for the 2nd trip down to Panama and had zero problems with them.

Getting new leaf springs and shocks shipped to you in Mexico will be very expensive. I am not familiar with a 95 4Runner but is it leaves or coils in the rear? Shipping Firestone air bags down there won't cost much at all. If they will not ship directly to you have a friend or family member forward them to you. If your shocks are toast you should be able to find some that will work locally, or simply get some shipped down.

I do not suggest you have local springs made or sourced and fitted. These will be low quality and not designed for your weight. If you are on a long trip and your truck is heavy this will only cause you more dramas down the road. I strongly suggest you buy the Firestones, install them and forget all about your problems.

Triumphdog

Adventurer
Do the Helix Surf rear springs fit? Try asking around on TTORA, t4r.org I'd imagine the Surf springs would be a close match to what you are looking for.

Cesar99

CapitolSouthbound
Thanks for the responses and info folks! My 4Runner has springs in the rear- current set up is stock springs with 2inch spacers and the failed Airlift- which now look like two big used condoms stuffed in the springs. Kinda sad.

I am actively looking into have the Firestone airbags shipped to someone in the States and forwarded to me in Mexico. Hopefully I can find someone to install, or figure out a way to do it myself.

I did a net search and didn't find any OME or ARB dealers in Mexico. Looks like there is a Mexican Offroad site called Jeeperos.com and I might try some broken spanish to get some insight into dealers. The Hilux Surf springs is a good idea, I will look into it.

From what I am told Guatamala is big on 4runners and we should be able to find everythng we need there... so we might just have to push on hanging low in the rear. (not that fun with a RTT...)

Thanks!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just for reference, here is an Airlift bag next to a Firestone.

main.php

The mounts if I recall right can be bolted on. However, I had mine welded to the frame since I didn't want to be checking bolts all the time. You should have no problem finding people to install them even if you weld them on in Mexico, especially in Mexico City.

I would really make sure if you are going to continue on to Guatemala that the truck can take it. If you are riding on the bump stops chances are good you will destroy them. What comes after that is much more serious, possibly even a damaged frame.

Also if you lack a place to ship the parts in Mexico City. Go to a Toyota dealership, tell them what is going on and what you have to do. Make sure they know you plan to ship parts to them. I did this in Baja when my Airlift bags failed. The only problem I had was that somebody forgot to tell the guard my parts were showing up so when they showed up the guard turned them away. As a result they were sent to the mainland in route back to the USA. I caught it in time though and had them rerouted back to the dealership in Baja. Got the airbags and some how made them work for another 10,000 miles. Actually I know how I made them work for that long, tire plugs!! :)

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles