Cabin insulation sound and heat recomendations

Treenail

Adventurer
Here's some reading on Airtabs and other vortex generators for anyone interested in how they work

Thanks for the articles.

From #4:

On the basis of the scientific evidence that is available, and the results of this test, we very much doubt whether vortex generators fitted to the trailing edges of vehicles will reduce drag. That said, it is well worth closely reading the testimonials page for AirTabs at www.airtab.com.

Tom

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Opinions

Thanks for the articles.

From #4:

On the basis of the scientific evidence that is available, and the results of this test, we very much doubt whether vortex generators fitted to the trailing edges of vehicles will reduce drag. That said, it is well worth closely reading the testimonials page for AirTabs at www.airtab.com.

Tom

Everyone has one!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Air Tab idea is sound. Will it produce a noticable increase in fuel economy? I don't know.

Basicly, the air flowing over a truck gets ripped into the low pressure zone behind the trailer, and between the truck and trailer. The truck has to tow all that swirling turbulance down the road with it.

The air tap is just a jump ramp for air, to move some of that air out so that the turbulant zone is a little smaller. Pretty basic aero stuff actually. Shaping the truck so that air under the truck could flow better up between the truck and trailer to fill that area would also help. (smoother parts etc.) Maybe better, longer, softer, rubber skirts on the back of the cab as well.

Having a low pressure zone following a vehicle, creates a suction that drags it back.

This is why large artillery rounds have a base bleed burning fuel at the square base of the round as it flys. Not to propel it, but to fill the void of air behind it with the burning air from the base bleed, filling the low pressure zone. A tear drop shaped round would be ideal, but you need a flat surface on the shell for the explosive to push against.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_bleed

Also note that the trailer skirts are narrower at the front than rear. The rear should have a lower pressure than the front. If done right, it could allmost be like a giant diffuser, increasing the trailers traction by reducing lift.

I'd like to try to run an empty pipe from the high pressure zone over the cab, in front of the top fairing, though the interior to the rear of the cab. Essentially a pipe that allows air to flow from the trucks front and to fill the low pressure area behind the cab. Having a big ole pipe splitting the cab kinda sucks, but if it's high enough maybe it could be viable, or at least a neat experiment. esentially the same idea as putting your AC intake at the base of the windshield. Because there's good air pressure there.

Last edited:

Erik N

Adventurer
Been looking to quiet road and wind noise. In my Xterra. The roof rack makes a howl in the wind. I would suspect a liner or insulate of some kind under the head liner would reduce the noise to a reasonable volume so that my passenger and I could talk at a reasonable volume at 70mph. Does any body have experence with such products? Looking for something lighter weight, and afforable. I have my xterra dampened with a mat like dynomat already. It cleaned the acustics and made the stereo better but did very little to stop road noise.

Earplugs. The bullet-shaped foam ones are the best.
$0.99 fix, per person.
You're welcome.

I used to do nvh work on oem engine covers. In order to propely reduce noise levels you need to know the frequency you are trying to reduce and sound pressure level. Your experience with dynamat is common. You were able to attenuate higher frequency but not the low frequency road noise. Road noise is best attenuated by layers with different densities strategically placed in areas of resonance.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Got any close up pics of the part of the rack thats whistling?

Generally I try to eliminate whistles as they tear up fuel mileage, then I go after annoying rattles. Not much can be done about the rest of the noise.

Byrdseye

Observer
I've used all these guys products http://www.secondskinaudio.com/ (no affiliation) and was very happy with the results..... I went with the spray on undercoat, then the foil stuff and then the closed cell foam mat. It was a time consuming PITA and $$$$$ but the results were night and day on road and engine noise. the customer service was very good as well. (hope this helps)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior