RTT as base camp?

rsbmg

Observer
I'm wondering if anyone specifically with a tacoma (2nd Gen), has developed an easily removable rack for their RTT tent allowing them to remove the rack with attached RTT and deploy it at a base camp. There are many places I go where I like to set-up a base camp and then go on daily off road trips from there. My thinking was to have the RTT mounted to the rack but set up in such a manner as to make the rack easily removable to just set the rack and tent on the ground.

As a caveat I am not a fan of tents or at least traditional tents. I don't like the set up, I don't like the breakdown, I don't like them in high wind and I don't like them in heavy rain. In nice weather I could just put the tailgate down and sleep fine but I do camp often in the conditions above. RTT's fair much better in inclement weather and negate the hassles of set up and breakdown in inclement weather. Set up and breakdown is most important next only to their serviceability in inclement weather. Specifically I'm looking at an eezi-awn.

Caveat 2. I have a buddy with a flipak and well, lets just say we have been in some rough weather on more than one occassion and the flipak just didn't cut it on multiple occassions and its not an option for me. Heavy heavy rain with the fly in place it failed as it did in heavy wind.

So, the options I am exploring are custom rack with eezi-awn or custom topper with slide-outs:D Dont try and steal my idea either! If I go that route I will take orders though:sombrero:

Anyway, curious if anyone has done anything like this so their RTT could become a basecamp.

Thanks guys

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Build an off road trailer and just keep the tent on it. There are a TON of ppl that do that and then just disconnect the trailer and go wheel for the day.

Then you have more room for storage and can make a custom kitchenette if you want. Or just water, fuel..whatever you want! Better then a camper cause a well build one will go anywhere your truck will for the most part allowing you to camp where ever you would like!

Caoboy

Adventurer
I'd say go with a topper and sleep in the back. I'm in the same boat, I don't prefer sleeping in a tent anymore, I'd rather sleep on a flat surface with no rocks, and it just seems so much more convenient to toss everything out of the rig (because you are setting everything up anyways and it'll be out of the rig right) and sleeping in it.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
For almost 10 years I had a Autohome Columbus RTT mounted to a Raven topper on my 2000 Taco Xcab. Took it everywhere and would stop and setup camp in minutes. I never did any herculean rock climbing with the setup but did trails such as the Lockard Basin trail with it on the roof. No problems. Why do you need to take it off?

trump

Adventurist
an easily removable rack for their RTT tent allowing them to remove the rack with attached RTT and deploy it at a base camp.

I will go ahead and speak for everybody when I say a rack with a RTT is by nature not easily removable. Unless, you always bring another strong body with you.

Finlay

Triarius
The rack I built for my taco is pretty easily removable - 6 bolts and it pops right off.

That said - even being made with an eye towards lightness - it is still about 60-70 lbs. With the RTT on it, it approaches 200.

Ultimately, I'll be upgrading to a trailer.

Caoboy

Adventurer
You could also go for a tent cot. That'd be a much cheaper solution and it would work as the setup is very quick like a RTT.

rsbmg

Observer
Thanks for the responses thus far. To address a few of the posts:

I have considered a trailer, however its considerably more expensive than a rack and I think in the grand scheme of things it will be a hindrance to getting places that I want to go. Primarily though for what I would spend on an offroad trailer to sleep in a tent I could buy a very nice trailer and live in the lap of luxury.

I want to remove it because I typically dont go camping just to camp, I go to explore and offroad. I dont want a load of camping struff and RTT hindering my offroad performance.

Easily removable is relative of course. When I say easily I mean something that can be accomplished by myself including re-loading it within about 15 minutes. Although seldom will I be alone so any additional set of hands will make it even easier.

I think I read the eezi-awn is like 120 lbs. plus the rack like another 120 lbs? If I built the rack to have a flat bottom I could put one end up on the truck and then lift the end on the ground up and slide the whole thing in to place. Think a sheet of plywood with the RTT attached (just for visualization) This would also serve as a cover for my truck keeping items underneath secure and dry.

I'm still brainstorming this just thought perhaps I might find someone who has already done something similar.

Thanks!

rsbmg

Observer
The shell idea would be fine except I have a 5' bed. The truck tent idea is not an option for two reasons which really is my main to problems I'm trying to address.

1. I dont want to be tied to my campsite.
2. I need something that will hold up to extreme (within reason of course) winds and rain
3. I want fast easy set-up and breakdown.
4. Regardless of if I plan on staying in camp or not, I still want the ability to free up my truck bed. For instance, I was camping last weekend when a young kid crashed on his dirtbike right in front of my camp. The bike was not operational after the crash. I threw the bike in my truck and had him and the bike back to his camp in 20 minutes. It would have taken him hours to push his bike back to camp. I like this aspect of owning a truck. A more permanent rack or even a shell would have made helping this kid to the degree I did, impossible.

So the tent or trailer solution is most conducive to my goals however trailer is probably out for reasons above and traditional tent is out because they all suck in high winds and set-up/breakdown is more than I want to deal with.

Anyway, really just hoping someone who has addressed the concerns above with a viable solution stumbles in here Thanks for all the replies so far!

montypower

Adventure Time!
My ARB tent takes less than 10 minutes to fully take down (maybe 5 with help). Are you really in that big of a hurry? It isn't inconvenient to take down or setup. And honestly... I'd rather take it with me than leave a $1,500+ tent behind.

rsbmg

Observer
Thanks for the links, That is exactly what I have been tossing around. I have several ideas which are viable to include some type of collapsible or folding legs. I don't want to get to crazy with the idea though and end up with a $5000 tree stand haha

Last edited:

Tbird

Observer
Like you I've been debating this issue at great length. I've been drooling for a flippac. Never heard any negative feedback like that before, that certainly concerns me. Plus I'm not sure I want it on my truck all the time. I believe your idea below is genius! If the design is well executed it could be an easy one-man operation to remove and replace the platform/tent. With this set up you could deploy the tent, in place, on the truck...or deploy off the truck depending on the conditions. For example...if you set up camp late and plan to move on the next morning...and truck deployment would make sense. If you are base-camping, an off-truck deployment would be better. I think I will pursue this idea myself...and bag the flippac idea. I have a good friend that has machined/welded for a living. He is great at design and construction ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-trailer-what-do-you-think?highlight=rockdawg ). I bet we can come up with something for my Gen2 Tacoma.

Thanks for the responses thus far. To address a few of the posts:
If I built the rack to have a flat bottom I could put one end up on the truck and then lift the end on the ground up and slide the whole thing in to place. Think a sheet of plywood with the RTT attached (just for visualization) This would also serve as a cover for my truck keeping items underneath secure and dry.
Thanks!

Last edited:

rsbmg

Observer
My ARB tent takes less than 10 minutes to fully take down (maybe 5 with help). Are you really in that big of a hurry? It isn't inconvenient to take down or setup. And honestly... I'd rather take it with me than leave a $1,500+ tent behind.

Well here's the deal. I have been caught in inclement weather more than once. I want to be able to rip the cover off that thing, crawl in and be out of the storm. Same thing for breaking camp, if its dumping rain I don't want to be screwing around any longer than I have too. Many people often put camping in the context of a beautiful day, gentle breeze rustling the leaves of the tall oak, clear skys and 70 degrees. Now that's great when its like that but when its 34 degrees, 45 mph winds and dumping gallons of water on you when your setting up or breaking down camp, well that just sucks. I like to plan for the suck and hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles