Making your own sheaths

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have seen a few on this board are making their own sheaths. I felt we needed to start a thread to cover this subject. Now I don't figure we will go to the depths of what can be found on bladeforums.com or Knifeforums.com but we can still have fun disucssing the subject.

Let's start this off with "show your homemade sheath", then follow up with where you purchased the leather and supplies. If you're feeling up to it, please post a step by step build.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Knife Sheaths

Here are a couple that I've done for friends.

The sheath on the left carries an 1880s Arbuckles Coffee promotional knife. That friend is an old west reenactor and a real good dutch oven cook!

The sheath on the right carries a Helle Eggen knife. That friend uses it for hunting, camping, etc.

Sorry about the poor quality photos.

shop phone 274.jpgshop phone 372.jpg

I get my leather by the side (I make a lot of stuff!) from Wickett and Craig, a tannery in Pennsylvania. It's the best tooling leather I've found. I hand stitch everything with 7-cord linen thread.

Cheers!
Dennis

msand1977

Observer
Here is my first attempt at a leather sheath I made acouple weeks ago for my esse 5. Dyed black with homemade vinegeroon

Attachments

• 1326505221997.JPG
    1326505221997.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
ohh i like this thread! i was going to try and make a shieth for my Puma White hunter, this gives some inspiration!

Cody1771

Explorer
can anyone suggest a good "how to" book for sheath making? i have a few knive making books and they only touch on the subject.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
can anyone suggest a good "how to" book for sheath making? i have a few knive making books and they only touch on the subject.

Al Stohlman wrote several how-to books for Tandy Leather. One is called "How to Make Leather Cases" that shows how to make everything from knife sheaths up to a golf club bag. Another good one is "How to Make Holsters". Tandy carries them online and in their stores.

Dennis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles