Sourcing a 3500lb axle. Recomendations?

rain76king

Adventurer
Looking for a 3500 pound axle for my current trailer build.
Have found many online but not many with different options as far as length and hub sizing.
Looking for an axle to match my fzj80's hub- 6 on 5.5.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Redneck trailer supply in Albany was where I got mine....drove up and picked it up.

I have all the papaerwork if you need a copy.

and are your rims "hub centric"?

highlandercj-7

Explorer
The 6 on 5.5" is a standard hub, you can get it on a 3500 or a 6000 lb axle easy enough. The only issue most folks run into is the wheel hub being large enough to clear the hub. Depending on the wheel you may need a spacer or a little machine work to clearence things.

Pikeman

Adventurer
I got mine from Redneck Trailer supply as well. I found them by going to the Dexter axle website and searching for local retailers. I called the three local retailers and went with the lowest one.

rain76king

Adventurer
Redneck trailer supply in Albany was where I got mine....drove up and picked it up.

I have all the papaerwork if you need a copy.

and are your rims "hub centric"?

What's the price range Pat?
Is a 3500 pound axle just a standard length or are there different lengths to choose from?
Yes my Rims are hub centric to the best of my knowledge.
Will check out Redneck supply.

The idea of carrying one spare tire and rim is appealing.
Most flats can be fixed just as quick if not quicker than changing the tire.

Last edited:

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Same here for Redneck.
The statement asking if your wheels are hub centric means you will have to run a spacer/adaptor.
The drums that come on trailer axels are not hub centric.
IMGP0955.jpg

Jeff

Pikeman

Adventurer
You can order a 3500lb in the length you need with or with out spring perches. When i ordered mine they sent me a sheet that asked me the following:
hub face to hub face in inches
Spring centers in inches
spring over or under
electric brakes or standard and several other questions.

I ordered mine the width i wanted with 10" electric brakes and a parking brake feature. Average price calling around for 3500# with electric brakes was $280-$315 and with my parking brake feature added another $90. Most places that price was good no matter the width you ordered. I am not sure of the price without brakes but i believe it would be right around the $200 mark

Idlehour

Observer
I just picked up a 3500 LB at a local shop. The axle was 85 and they stock them in 2 inch increments. Weld on perches, u bolt kit, hubs, grease came to a little below 200 before tax.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Bob,

The axle was $345, with the EZ lube option. I got 3" dia., which is considered 5k, also the 10"brakees. I provided the inside hub face to inside face measurment, according to the offset (4.5) on the Trail Edition wheels. I used Spidertrax to go from "lug centric" to "hub centric". I had the trailer upside down at the time, so it was a pc. of cake.

I got the 3" because I wanted a direct bolt up, and although it came with perches, I used the ones off the old axle. I had never done it before, but it was pretty easy.

What's the price range Pat?
Is a 3500 pound axle just a standard length or are there different lengths to choose from?
Yes my Rims are hub centric to the best of my knowledge.
Will check out Redneck supply.

The idea of carrying one spare tire and rim is appealing.
Most flats can be fixed just as quick if not quicker than changing the tire.

rain76king

Adventurer
This has all been super helpful.
So I'm assuming that what I will need to do is order 1 inch spacers- lug centric to hub centric.
I'm pretty sure that 1 inch is as small as I can get them, Correct?

To measure for the width of the axle- I should position the tires under the trailer where I would want them to sit with a axle attached.
I should measure for the axle from inside of rim to inside of rim.
Once I have that measurement I should subtract 2 inches to accommodate the 1 inch wheel spacers per side to deal with the hub centric issue.

Thanks for everyones help. Super helpful info.

rain76king

Adventurer
Bob,

The axle was $345, with the EZ lube option. I got 3" dia., which is considered 5k, also the 10"brakees. I provided the inside hub face to inside face measurment, according to the offset (4.5) on the Trail Edition wheels. I used Spidertrax to go from "lug centric" to "hub centric". I had the trailer upside down at the time, so it was a pc. of cake.

I got the 3" because I wanted a direct bolt up, and although it came with perches, I used the ones off the old axle. I had never done it before, but it was pretty easy.

Did you end up getting the parking brake as well?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
No,....I didn't.....guess I probably should have..

Actually, I never priced it out. But I always use chocks, regardless.

rain76king

Adventurer
Placed my order with Redneck supply in Albany NY. Jim and Mark have been super helpful so far.
My measurement ended up being 49 inches after I subtracted spacers.
Went with the 3'' as well which beefs me up to 5200 lbs.
2 week wait time which is somewhat disapointing, wish I had done this earlier.
I ended up paying $330. before shipping and I added the parking brake feature. Was only $9?
Will see if that ends up sticking....I think someone at Dexter forgot to add a 0 to that quote........

Thanks for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94