Off road pop up

LACamper

Adventurer
I was looking for some modified standard pop-ups. Am I looking in the wrong place?

My wife wants us to buy a standard popup complete with shower, etc. I'd like to make it off road capable, or at least rough dirt road capable with a bit more clearance. Suggestions?

highlandercj-7

Explorer
There are plenty of folks on here modding them for offroad use. Though depending on your price you can buy them from the factory already set up that way. Check out the A-Liner:
http://www.aliner.com/
They are offered with a offroad package. They are the easiest to set up and are a quality product.

Also look into Coleman popups, they manufactured the Fleetwood Evolution series when fleetwood owned them. They are back to being Coleman again.

2006_evolution_exterior.jpg

youwillforget

Adventurer
Some one makes one that sits on a flat bet truck or trailer (extreme 4x4 on spike urban gorilla trailer build). I have pictures of a late 60's pop up tear down on my build (I'm that guy) and they are about 2 good bumps from falling apart the new ones are about 1 bump away. Look at popupexplorer.com for quality builds those people know the pop up like these people know overlanding. Buy as old as possible pop up for the hardware, lifts, slides and all the bits and pieces then plan on new siding, canvas and every scrap of wood.
You can look at the album in my profile for more pictures of the teardown.

reece146

Automotive Artist
We have a Starcraft 11RT. Don't bother buying one of these instead of the normal, non off-road version - not worth the premium unless you can get it for the same price as a normal (i.e. non off-road) version. Ours had been sitting on the lot for a looooong time so we paid a "normal" price for it (~$5k, almost like new).

The way these things are built even $5k is too much - sh!tty construction and quality/assembly - but if you get it cheap enough it is a good place to start for a build up. I didn't know any better when I bought it - first RV trailer. If I was going to buy one today it would have to be exceptional for me to pay much more than ~$2k when considering what markets bear.

I'm at the point where I'm considering building one properly from scratch and use the sale of the Starcraft to finance the build.

HTH

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just buy a small Viking or Coleman for around $1-2k and put a real frame and axle under it, most of the factory built "off-road" trailer offerings are junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior