Scratch Cooking

srgsng25

Observer
all this talk about overland cooks!!! i thinking i might have to share some of or experiences learned over the years i am the main cook in the house as i work form home so it really easy for me to take a break and do prep cooking though out the day we do not have a boxed dinner in this house in over 15 years.

one of or greatest investments was a vacuum packer for both home and camping we buy a lot of bulk food so we will break down 10+ lbs of grond beef into 2 pond or well order a side of beef form or butcher and do the same we have well stocked freezer

but onto trailer cooking

if yo are leaving for the weekend do prep-cooking before packing the ice chest i will dice meat and season and vac pack it as one meal we do the same with dry good as well then next time i start getting ready for the season i will take lot of pictures

one our most favorite meals is engine block stew or camp fire stew learned this form my father who use to work heavy equipment in construction

here is the full campfire recipe we will divide this up and place in foil packets and throw them in the coals for a hour or two this can be done in the dutch oven or on a engine manifold if you are on the trail and do not want to stop to cook..

i always will ether substitute beer or soda for some water all well because cooking for beer is always better

2 pounds stew beef
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cups water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Dash ground allspice or ground cloves
3 large carrots, sliced
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch

This call all be prepped at home and throw in the fridge we will do it in 3 vac packs

1. meat
2. veggies
3. dry good

then ct - dump add water

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles