A proven roof racking / tent system for Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ?

silversand

Observer
Interesting. I'll look at the AEV and Front Runner system perhaps later today.

I'll be watching GOBI, too, for any updates on their racking. Are GOBI located in the Colorado Front range region ? Are their designers/engineering approachable ?

I neglected to mention that our ETA for 2012 4-door Unlimited is September of this year (I understand that Jeep's new vehicle release cycle is September ?).

Also (again): does Jeep have an up-fitter website with CAD drawings (say in PDF format) of their various Jeep iterations?

On edit: I want to completely steer away from "hole drill" racks (the GOBI is a no-drill install)

pbsled

Busy
I know this is completely against your no drill approach. Not trying to steer you away from that, but structurally attaching a rack to the roll bar is much stronger because all loads have shorter "lever arms". The Gobi bears a ton of lateral stress while cornering, etc that are more easliy taken straight to the roll bar. This is the approach the Overland JKU took with RRT, which I adopted with a custom TracRac setup. Load wise it would carry a tent easily plus some, and it does allow for the freedom tops to come off. It was lots of work, but saved about 1k over the Gobi setup, weighs in at 60 lbs total, and may be structurally more sound and certainly more aerodynamic than a cage based rack. Here is the thread : http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/74436-600lb-Capacity-TracRac-Roof-Rack-Build-for-JKU

Last edited:

JPK

Explorer
A problem with cage racks is wind noise, another is extra wid resistance (and no Jeep Wrangler needs more wind resistance!) I had a very nice Garvin Expedition rack on my LJ but decided against a cage rack for the JKU because of the noise and wind resistance.

Obviously, if you want to use a soft top and a roof rack, there just isn't a substitute for the cage racks.

JPK

JKJenn

Adventurer
Jeep changed the window size somewhere along the line (10? 11?) which remains the case with the 2012s. The larger side windows on the hardtop makes the original rack unusable - at least according to MBRP. The rack was at the top of my list for my 07 (paired with a very stout KMA lightbar). Hopefully they come out with a rack that will fit the newer hardtop, however they've had a while now, and it doesn't seem to have happened. Not sure if that's due to there being little demand as it was only a yr or two (10s/11s? - or whenever the change was made), or it there isn't enough space now to make it strong enough to support the rack. Hopefully it was due to there only being a yr or two out with that top, and that as the 2012s and future models come out that there'll be more of a demand for them to get this rack to the market.

I just installed the Gobi Stealth on 2011 JKU today. No problems with hard top as far as I can tell. too dark for many photos, but here is one I snapped:

427523_10150602507279226_547779225_9580117_140433700_n.jpg

I have never received a box so well packed. Everything was attached and shrink-wrapped so that nothing shifted or could be damaged in shipping. Also, they have labels (in plain English) on every major piece and even the bags with hardware are labeled. I have to tighten up some bolts and install the ladder and wind deflector tomorrow. I ran out of light and froze my hands off today. Ordered the rack and ARB awning from Tim and very pleased with the transaction and service. I alos picked up an ARB Pilbara at a big discount from Iron Pig for the rack. Looking forward to mounting it and trying it out!

Yair_Haim

Photographer / Off-roader
Hi Man,

Love you Jeep! I'm looking into the Gobi rack and all I hear is great things! I'm lifting mine to 2.5 Metalcloak game changer - 6pak with 35" tires. Do you mind answering a few questions:

1. How much lift is your car?
2. What is the site of your tires?
3. How tall is the jeep with the Gobi rack (highest point)

Thank you very much! I want to see if it will fit in my garage??? :-/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles