A proven roof racking / tent system for Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ?

silversand

Observer
Hi All:

We are in the process of acquiring a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (this is a 4-door of course), with the standard 1-piece removable Jeep hard roof.

Q: what have Wrangler Unlimited owners been deploying as a roof racking system capable of supporting a side-mounted awning, and a roof-top tent system?

*Our roof criteria are: the roof-top tent has to be detachable for winter storage leaving the roof rack "up there"; the rack must be able to support 2 adults (in the 170-LB range @) + roof-top tent system; the roof racking must be proven in the field by user/users here on the Forum; the most important: the racking must be rust resistant (say, aluminum) and be ingeniously engineered to allow fast/easy 1 or 2 person mounting (hopefully, without the need to remove/remount the 1-piece Jeep roof, after rack bolt-on!).

Some years ago, we had met South African Jack Stuhler in Utah and camped with him. he had a spectacular roof racking system aboard his FJ75 Toyota expedition vehicle (however, this was designed only for the FJ75). The whole system was ingenious, however again, designed for the Toyota.

Cheers,
Silversand-

jdzl

The Gobi Stealth rack seems to be used by lots of people. Bolt on (no drilling), can be tilted back to remove freedom panels / hardtop, is powder coated, and holds something like 600lbs static load. Not cheap at $1500 or so though...

See: http://www.gobijeep.com/JKL.htm

silversand

Observer
Thanks JDZL; I'll have an in-depth look.

$1500 doesn't seem too out of line for a quality roof rack.

Cheers,
S-

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The MBRP JK/JKU Rack (off-camber Quadratec) will support over 1000 lbs Still weight and over 350 mobile !!

DSCF0555.jpg

002-3.jpg

horses030.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

BIG JOHN

Observer
GOBI STEALTH RACK IS THE BEST! IMO...

Attachments

• GOBI 2.jpg
    GOBI 2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 161
  • GOBI 3.jpg
    GOBI 3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 154

Timgco

Adventurer
GOBI here also. RTT's mount to is with their standard crossbars too. The racks are undercoated and than PC'd. all hardware is stainless. In addition to the rack add the AEV corner guards for extra support on those rear quarters. The GOBI support brackets handle the weight without issue. If you are going to use an AEV rear bumper or Expedition One rear bumper, you must specify as you will need a bracket specific to integrate the GOBI and bumpers. LMK if you need certain pics, I have a few hundred.
Here's a pic showing the corssbar configuration that is standard. there is also an avilable insert over the freedom pannels that is easy to instlal/ remove as needed.
hi-lift mount, arb awning mount, wind delfector, dual ladders.
PA060362.jpg

ARBAwningGOBIrack.jpg

PA050238.jpg

you can see teh quick discos here. you can hinge the rack back quick if needed. Those are PIAA 2100 ligghts, Rigid LED lighting fits as well.
PA050302.jpg

Timgco

Adventurer
hinged back. takes about 5 mintues and has a leash that comes with it.
P9200021.jpg

this is how I ran mine most of the time since I bike a lot durring the Summer months.
the blue chord is to help keep teh hi-lift quiet. the GOBI mounts secures very well, but the moving parts on teh hi-lift rattle.
P9200023.jpg

Disco in front.
P9200001.jpg

Septu

Explorer
:sombrero: The MBRP JK/JKU Rack (off-camber Quadratec) will support over 1000 lbs Still weight and over 350 mobile !!

From my understanding, they haven't come out with a design for the 2012s yet. Would love it if they did, as it would be my first choice for a rack. Until then, the Globi is sure looking good.

silversand

Observer
Thanks, Guys, for these excellent suggestions!

The GOBI (named after the Mongolian Gobi desert ?) looks very much like what we would require. It appears very flexible and well thought-out.

I'd like to see an PDF instruction file on this unit, to study installation and attachment possibilities.

....monitoring this Thread closely,
Silver-

On edit: I went through every word of the instruction/installation PDF doc, and this unit is now at the top of our buy list

Last edited:

silversand

Observer
Q: is there the possibility of folding the front window out with the GOBI unit in place?

Septu wrote: From my understanding, they haven't come out with a design for the 2012s yet.

Can you elaborate on this? The 2012 Unlimited appears to be exactly the same as the '11 frame-wise and exterior dimensioning...and: does anyone have an up-fitter's PDF document showing the CAD drawings of the Unlimited's chassis/frame/entire truck exploded into it's elements ?

Eg. I have PDF/CAD drawings (from GM Fleet: up-fitter services) showing our Silverado 2500HD, drawn from every conceivable viewpoint, showing literally every part of our truck fully dimensioned out in metric (the late '04 extended cab).
S-

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Q: is there the possibility of folding the front window out with the GOBI unit in place?

Can you elaborate on this? The 2012 Unlimited appears to be exactly the same as the '11 frame-wise and exterior dimensioning...and: does anyone have an up-fitter's PDF document showing the CAD drawings of the Unlimited's chassis/frame/entire truck exploded into it's elements ?

Jeep changed the window size somewhere along the line (10? 11?) which remains the case with the 2012s. The larger side windows on the hardtop makes the original rack unusable - at least according to MBRP. The rack was at the top of my list for my 07 (paired with a very stout KMA lightbar). Hopefully they come out with a rack that will fit the newer hardtop, however they've had a while now, and it doesn't seem to have happened. Not sure if that's due to there being little demand as it was only a yr or two (10s/11s? - or whenever the change was made), or it there isn't enough space now to make it strong enough to support the rack. Hopefully it was due to there only being a yr or two out with that top, and that as the 2012s and future models come out that there'll be more of a demand for them to get this rack to the market.

BLK2000TJ

Hi All:

We are in the process of acquiring a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (this is a 4-door of course), with the standard 1-piece removable Jeep hard roof.

Q: what have Wrangler Unlimited owners been deploying as a roof racking system capable of supporting a side-mounted awning, and a roof-top tent system?

*Our roof criteria are: the roof-top tent has to be detachable for winter storage leaving the roof rack "up there"; the rack must be able to support 2 adults (in the 170-LB range @) + roof-top tent system; the roof racking must be proven in the field by user/users here on the Forum; the most important: the racking must be rust resistant (say, aluminum) and be ingeniously engineered to allow fast/easy 1 or 2 person mounting (hopefully, without the need to remove/remount the 1-piece Jeep roof, after rack bolt-on!).

Some years ago, we had met South African Jack Stuhler in Utah and camped with him. he had a spectacular roof racking system aboard his FJ75 Toyota expedition vehicle (however, this was designed only for the FJ75). The whole system was ingenious, however again, designed for the Toyota.

Cheers,
Silversand-

AEV is supposed to be releasing their Rack soon.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I believe AEV's rack will be supported through interior roll cage mounts that bolt through the hard top and then into a flat ARB/Front Runner/Hannibal style rack. It will be extremely low profile and extremely strong. I'm not sure the front t-top portion will be useable, but it would be worth it for that type of system.

JPK

Explorer
I am waiting for the AEV rack to decide on which way to go for a rack for my hardtop, but the Front Runner rack is a very nice rack and has a QD RTT mounting system available. 3/4 and full length racks available, low profile or a taller mount to enable a table to be fitted under the rack... Here's a link: http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/cart.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles