'JUST GOT AN M416 AND I NEED A SPARE

General Automag

Adventurer
We just got an M416 trailer, and I'm looking for the best source(s) for a spare. Where can I get a tire and rim to match the ones already on the the trailer?

Also, has anyone ever stored their trailer spare under the trailer using some type of hoist setup like the spares that are stored under most pickup beds? I'm thinking about trying to store the spare under the rear of the trailer so as to save space in the front or inside of the trailer. The tires are in great shape, and for our intended uses, there's no need to lift the trailer or install tires to match the tow vehicle.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• IMG_5414.jpg
    IMG_5414.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 7
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 6

berg

Observer
from another thread..

antelope valley truck on Trevor ave. in Lancaster ca. Ask for Kerry

czarthirteen

The bastard Icarus.
I've got a whole bunch of spares fo these, but I imagine the shipping cost to GA probably would offset their general inexpensiveness.

Feel free to PM, I can get pics if you are interested.

Of course, a trip up to the Catskills is always welcomed.

shogun

Adventurer
Rubber; Wallace Wade or Coker

Wheel; Dunno, start searching surplus dealers like Colemans, Niagra, Adirondak dodge parts, rapco, tnj murray, riv-rad inc (in AL), khaki corps imports (in OK).

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I've got two original M416 wheels that I'd love to get out of the shed... shipping even from NC might be costly, but if you're ever in the area or know someone travelling thru... I'd take $50 for both. They have some original rubber on them too, but dry rotted, so you'll still need some tires.

General Automag

Adventurer
I just learned that the M151 Jeep tires are the same as on the M416 trailer, but I would like to confirm the lug pattern of 5 - 4.5". Some of the M151 Jeep tires I'm seeing are 5 - 5.5" on the lug pattern. The wheels are 4.5" x 16 and the tires are 7"x16"'s.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
My M416 is 5 x 5.5. Is yours an M416A1? Are they different?

I just learned that the M151 Jeep tires are the same as on the M416 trailer, but I would like to confirm the lug pattern of 5 - 4.5". Some of the M151 Jeep tires I'm seeing are 5 - 5.5" on the lug pattern. The wheels are 4.5" x 16 and the tires are 7"x16"'s.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
All M416's are 5 x 5.5 stud circle. Some confusion around the M416B1, which was tweaked a bit to run behind the M422 vs. the M151, but that was a skinner tire (6 x 16) and a wheel spacer. You have to find an old version of the tech manual to see some of the differences as the latest/last from the 90's only addressed the M416 and M416A1.
One from 1970: http://www.jeepdraw.com/TM_9-2330-251-14.pdf
One from 1990: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m416.pdf
The older ones have far greater detail, showing exploded diagrams of nearly everything. I guess as time passed they expected the maintenance guys to swap out parts rather than repair. I've got one from 1962 that's pretty faded, but still cool!

aremell

No affiliation and a week or two old but I saw these which may work for you if he still has them:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pts/2812227220.html

Search M416 and "spare tire mount" with your favorite search engine and you'll find some versions. I have an older Bantam trailer and I've got Samurai rims/tires on it. I mounted the spare on the front with a spare tire mount from a tin top Samurai.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles