ALINER Travel trailer

rsbmg

Observer
I sent a few PM's to the folks I could dig up who had an ALINER trailer but maybe this thread will find more of you. My GF and I are contemplating a purchase but was hoping for some feedback. We plan on taking this offroad almost exclusively on trails that would be probably impossible for the trailer to handle in stock form. However I see it has an offroad kit and I did see the thread where the guy had custom Deavers and tires installed.

At any rate in negative feedback from folks who use this trailer offroad? Thanks!

Woods

Explorer
Give some examples of trails and what type of tow rig. I don't think you'll get an ALiner through John Bull or even Holcomb Creek. My biggest surprise in towing trailers through difficult terrain, is the effect they have going up steep grades. It's very much like towing an anchor. Especially in areas with loose rock or gravel. I'm avoiding going down any steep grades with a trailer.

rsbmg

Observer
The caveat is, I am a reasonable person I don't plan on trying to take the trailer through the rubicon, I just mean general offroad use, moderately extreme trails, lets say more extreme than fireroads but not black diamond trails.

With that said I'm just hoping those who have or have had one of these trailers can speak to their personal experience with the trailer. Again I know its not a purpose built trailer but since they advertise and "offroad kit" I assume that offers a little insight into the companies belief that its a well built trailer. Those who have one may disagree.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I have never owned an Aliner, but have owned two Chalet's. The original trailer. They are excellent trailers and I think the Aliner has improved some things over the Chalet. It does have a Dexter Torflex axle, or at least did have the last time I looked at them.

But understand their off road trailer is only cosmetically improved, bigger tires, more drop on the axle, and diamond plate on the front of the trailer, sometimes powder coated or linexed.

The frame, I think is box tubing, at least it was on the Chalet.

You can make them quite capable, by just adding to the frame and converting to a multi axis coupler.

They are quite strong and durable, the Aliner may have an aluminum upper frame, not sure.

I tow my trailer where most will not, and I think you could do quite well with one. I almost converted mine to soley off road, but instead sold it to Wikid and he is in the process of making it more trail worthy.

Of all the popups, the Chalet was the best built I thought, and I think the Aliner is its equal. Have fun my friend, as there is nothing faster in set up and so many lite years ahead of the canvas crap they continue to sell. Truly a very well designed trailer, years ahead of its time. And it has tons of room inside. I loved mine, just too small for great danes, we had 4 that went with us.

Would buy one in a heart beat, no question,.

rsbmg

Observer
Awesome thank you for the input. I had pretty much resigned myself to having to beef it up in both suspension, frame re-enforcement and probably some exterior protection as well. I am toying with the idea of just building exactly what I want (with the help of a qualified fabricator) It would be along the lines of an aliner design just more beefy and I think the aliner is probably wider than my truck which I am not too keen on. Still lots to think about appreciate the comments.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I think they are 79 inches wide. In honesty doable on most trails. All you have to do on the suspension is place what ever lift you want under the axle. The perches are normally welded on and the axle bolted on. Cut off the perch and raise it by box tubing. I think the off road one was using a 6 inch drop or 45 degree. Some diamond plate along the sides and you should be golden on everything but the narrowest of trails. Actually there is one on the portal somewhere, if not take a look on the FJ Blue Forum. He takes his everywhere, carries a kayak on the top, pretty kool rig.

SoCal_80

Explorer
Havent owned a Aliner but i did own a Chalet Alpine "Trail Boss" edition (Dexter axle, factory lift, etc). That said, i would take it down dirt roads, etc but probably not much more than that. I think the suspension could take it, but the drawers would probably rattle open if not really loosen things up. I think neither of the trailers were meant to be "offroad" much..Atleast in the sense of "offroad" where i plan to take the Chaser i bought after i sold the Alpine! If you really want to wheel with your trailer...I personally would go a different route. As others have stated, the width alone would limit where you can go.

rsbmg

Observer
Yea they are al 6.5'' wide except the alite which is only 5 but its basically just a bed on wheels. I figure if I'm going to go the trailer route I need some imminities otherwise I may as well just get a camper shell and scruntch up in the bed of the truck while saving 3 grand. There is definitely a line where comfort and offroadability cross I just want to find a solution that meets the two in the middle. Obviously $$ is in this mix as well, if money was no object I could just get multiple set-ups to meet all my needs.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Check to see if the frame is aluminum. You could bolt the through the sides if that is the case. I drug mine all over the place, actually took it over Engineer pass years ago. Not the toughest trail in the world, but far above park trails. I think the Aliner is stronger than the Chalet, but all of mine have been 20 years old or so. And still both never seemed to show any affects of where I took it. The cap on top when closed holds it all together. And they are comfortable. I removed the couch in the rear and made it a permanent bed. Worked great and the wife was happy with it. Main point of concern for me. Happy mama, happy camper, happy me.

jronwood

Adventurer
I live VERY close to Aliner and have toured the factory and am even using some scratch and dent stuff from the factory floor. I must say most RV's dont impress me, BUT it looks like they are REALLY making a nicely designed and engineered product. The last time I was there about 6 months ago there were two or three of the "off road" style units fully assembled headed out the door. I fabricate, design and build all sorts of stuff for a living, welder, blacksmith, sawyer, you name it I do it at a high level (custom furniture mostly, like West Coast Choopers but for your home/business). They have it going on over there at Aliner.

Ironwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles