Best way to attach 2 rotopax cans to a basket?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I've been looking on line and trying to figure out the best way to attach 2 rotopax 3 gallon cans to a Yakima basket case.

I know Rotopax makes a round mount that has the attachment points, but how would I attach that to my basket? Any ideas or anyone done anything similar?

gophere

Adventurer
U can use the backing plate they sell with u-bolts or use straps:)

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

SemperAptum

I don't know what the best way is...I can tell you the way I did it though.

I bought the double plate (by itself) along with the single mounts.
I got both simply because I didn't know how'd I'd end up mounting them and the way I purchased them with coupons, individually, etc. made them cost just a few bucks.

Once I got my Megawarrior, I made due with what I had. The double mount is pretty much required on top regardless of what else you do, if only to keep the two 8 shaped posts (the handle thingy parts that stick through the gas tanks) the correct space apart.
Underneath, I simply sandwiched one of the Megawarriors skinny cross bars with the round single plate (on each side) and the double plate.

66uoh.jpg

I had to buy some 1 1/2" bolts to go straight through the plates and into the back of the 8 shaped Rotopax mount. 1" bolts might have worked but the 3/4" that came with the Rotopax most definitely would not. 2" bolts were too long and maxed out into in the Rotopax mount. Truthfully, a bunch of different lengths of bolt were required as I ended up bending the bottom plate into oblivion. Starting with 2" to bend and ending with 1" is probably the best bet - I don't know though. The bending *was* required since the Rotopax was easily shifted up to the point I tightened the bolts to where the bottom plates touched the top plate. I also used the plates with the bolt recesses facing down instead of up based on my screw length. A little more time and effort could have produced slightly cleaner results I'm sure. Two trips to Lowe's for $5 in parts was wearing on me so I did whatever worked the easiest and I'm completely content with the result.

I forget the thread pitch of the bolts, I wanna say 5/18 for some reason (is that even a size?) Anyway I took one of the short, 3/8" long Rotopax bolts to Lowe's and using their little thread matching thing found it easily. It think I still have the bag they came in...I'll update when I can.

Other considerations are how you have the basket mounted to your rack and/or where in the basket you want to mount the Rotopax. I need mine at the back which is right where I have the mounts to my Thule Xsporter. This meant that my Rotopax is tilting slightly forward due to the Yakima mounts making the basket floor an uneven surface to mount to. I'm not too worried about it, but it would have been nice to have the tank sit below the top of the Yakima fairing. As is, it's about 1/2" above it in the back (I have my fairing on the back of the basket.) Out of the directions it could be tilting, I'm fine with forward: it's a wing! Hahaha.

j63mc.jpg

Rotopax also makes a thicker round plate that may be of use to you. I can't remember if it was offered when I bought my setup but they seem better suited for clamping and are only $5 each.

Also note that I wasn't able to span two bars with the bottom plate. I needed it as far back as possible and that's where it lined up, a single bar down the center of the Rotopax. I'm pretty sure the round plate isn't long enough to do so anyway.

I suppose u-bolts could work but you'd have to get some very specific ones with all the parts and the crazy configuration going on. If I do anything different it will be putting some rubber between the plates and bar to keep it as tight as possible and to keep metal from rubbing. As of right now it hasn't moved, but I haven't beaten on it either.

SemperAptum

I just realized I totally skimmed your post. The double plate won't apply to you in any way :(

I'll leave it up for others.

...man, the Basketcase looks like a real challenge, although the whole sandwiching of the plates may work out to your advantage there. Looks like you might be able to get a couple of bars between the plates vs me having to to taco the plate around just the one.

Last edited:

CR_CO_4RTEP

I've been searching for this solution as I have a load warrior basket and want to store the rotopax up top. Thanks for the info. Same concerns with securing tightly to a round bar. What a pain....

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's a pretty simple proposition, just a matter of the right hardware and what your comfort level is in making permanent modifications.
You can use U-bolts, J-bolts, make some custom bent plates, use the type of stepped plates used with old school TV antenna U-bolt mounts, drill and tap the tubes and bolt the Roto mounts directly to the basket metal, mount the Roto mount to a larger plate that will bridge the basket bar spacing in a better way, welding. Use long bolts and mark cut and grind them to a custom length. All sorts of ways to do it. Question is which way are you willing to try? None of them are difficult. Step outside the pre-packaged solutions and fabricate something. Learn a new skill.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's a pretty simple proposition, just a matter of the right hardware and what your comfort level is in making permanent modifications.
You can use U-bolts, J-bolts, make some custom bent plates, use the type of stepped plates used with old school TV antenna U-bolt mounts, drill and tap the tubes and bolt the Roto mounts directly to the basket metal, mount the Roto mount to a larger plate that will bridge the basket bar spacing in a better way, welding. Use long bolts and mark cut and grind them to a custom length. All sorts of ways to do it. Question is which way are you willing to try? None of them are difficult. Step outside the pre-packaged solutions and fabricate something. Learn a new skill.
True, or, he could just do what I've done in the 4 years since I posted this thread and just run ratchet straps through the middle of the RotoPax cans. :sombrero:

ldsconvert

Here in 2023, I came across the same issue. Rotopax w/ Yakima Load Warrior. I mounted some traction boards and was like "wait a second, these things will work with the Rotopax." Ordered some cheaper mounting pins and took some finagling, but they worked out great. So for the next guy who gets stuck...here is a link to the ones I used.

Mounting Pins On Amazon

Reactions: GHI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior