Slime ... in your tires

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Opinions on Slime in tires. I've had great experience with it in mountain bike tires with all the thorns we have around Arizona, and have been curious about the auto application since I now see in it auto stores in huge quantities.

Does it just create a gooey mess, or are the practical applications worth the mess?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Appearently we are using it in the desert race truck's tires.
The thot there being that it's the slow leaks from a cactus spine that ultimately is the cause of a blow-out when a May-Tag is hit.

pnwadventurer

Observer
Funny about the timing of this post.

I found two tubes in my garage from my Mt Bike days and was wondering the same thing.

Steve

overlander

Expedition Leader
I had it in my tubed michelins that I just replaced. seems to work pretty well, although when I pulled the tubes out during replacement, they never wanted to completely deflate, due to the stems getting gummed up by it. when I cut the tubes open, the green goo was still oozing about.

I'm running tubelss BFG MTs now with Equal tire balancer, so it's no longer an option for me.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I added some of tat stuff to 2 small tractor tires about 2 months ago. It did not repair he leak and after a few hours both tires were flat. not the outcome I was looking for.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
For it to work you do need to keep the tire(s) spinning for a period after the puncture otherwise it doesn't work very well.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
ntsqd said:
For it to work you do need to keep the tire(s) spinning for a period after the puncture otherwise it doesn't work very well.

Well I pumped it in aired up and started mowing. a few hour later I had 2 flats I aired back up and then i held for about 4 ours and then went flat.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Hate the stuff. It's never worked for me, clogs the valve and it's heavy. I don't get any less flats with it in the bike tires during goathead season.

Incusus

Adventurer
if nothing else, it will make for a chorus of entertaining curses at the tire shop when they break the bead and get slimed....:)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've resisted it in bikes for that weight reason too. My Townies run Kevlar liners. And as a friend of mine learned, when the hole is too big for it to plug Park type patches do not stick to a tube that has had it wiped off the outside.

I wasn't happy to hear about it being put in the race truck, but I rarely have to work with it's tires. I know I won't be hauling back in to the pits a blown tire that had it inside in my Sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier