Cross Post: Eezi-Awn Globetrotter Question

STREGA

Explorer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/74567-Eezi-Awn-Globetrotter-Question-before-I-buy

Looking for some help in purchasing a new tent very soon. Help/advise would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Sean

Already posted on your other thread about the Guy lines. As stated there I only used them when windy, I tend to walk into them so if I did not need them I didn't use them.

Not sure what advice you need on rtt's but I will throw my 2 cents into the pot. I have used 2 styles of rtt's, both Ezi-Awns, one was the Globetrotter and the other that I still currently have a 1400 series3. I will start with the Globetrotter:

What I liked about it the most was the thicker mattress than the series3, is more comfy. Also the large overhang made a nice cover when raining and good shade also. The sleeping area is taller than the series3 at least on 1 side so it gives a roomier feel. It will hold more bedding than the series3.

The cost is probably the biggest thing not to like about the globetrotter (mine came with a used Horizon that I bought). I'am also not one for setting up elaborate campsites so I found myself not ever using the lower annex so that was a huge waste for me, If you need the extra room its great I didn't and found it more of a PITA to set up than it was worth to me. It wasn't as good in the wind as the series3 either IMO, it moves around more and flaps quite a bit more also. Even though it is a larger tent, the sleeping area is not much larger if at all than our 1400.

The thing I like the most about the 1400 is its size and shape, not to big or to small for us (wife,me and small dog) and the shape works good in the wind. The mattress although not as thick as in the Globetrotter is still comfortable. Another thing I like is if the weather is good, I peel back the rainfly and open the flap up all the way and we can lay on our backs and stargaze from the comfort of our sleeping bags. Another advantage of the 1400 over the Globetrotter was that I could mount it either on my FJ Cruiser or the trailer, sometimes I didn't want/need to take the trailer.

Can't really think of anything that I seriously do not like about it (maybe cost?). Having to climb up/down a ladder is a common complaint for some people but since its a shared issue with all rtt's it sort of a moot point here, it doesn't bother me, the wife was a little nervous about it at first but has since become a champ at it (we are both in our mid 50's). One potential problem is that my wife cannot fold the tent back up by herself, so if I was to get hurt that could be an issue if we are in a remote spot and had to get out quickly, a Autohome maggalina or columbus would solve that issue.

Both rtt's are well made with good materials and should last a long time with proper care. They both use a cheap plastic clip to hold up the flaps and screens, they are not user friendly if your fingers are cold. That is one thing that they could easily improve without adding much cost to the tent. I stayed dry in both tents equally well.

Long post but its snowing like crazy so I don't have anything better to do, hope this helps. Doug :ylsmoke:

SoCal_80

Explorer
Perfect and thank you Doug for the comments. They were very much appreciated. When i am out alone I probably will not use the extra room much but with the wife and
My German shepherd it will come in handy. Hoping to find a used globetrotter but might end up pulling the trigger on a new one soon. Thanks again!

Sean

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I got the Eezi Awn 3 series as well and its too big for just two of us.
We have had 4 adults up there once with no issues...
Pros
Mattress is nice and thick.
Great ventilation during the summer on 100F+
Keeps us dry on really wet conditions 4+ days of rain

Cons.
Its too damn comfortable making it hard to get up early in the AM.
It flaps on windy conditions but nothing that a few guy lines wont fix.
putting it away when its on top of my rig...n is raining cats and dogs...
The velcro that houses the ratchet comes open at hwy speeds sometimes...( I saw in some snap buttons).
Its expensive but after a few years of good use mine still looks like new (not the cover tho'.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne