theft proofing aussie style..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
As with many expedition vehicles we have so much invested not only in our vehicles but also in the contents of our vehicles..Theft is a constant concern..both of the vehicle and the contents we have inside..now lets face it, if a thief wants your car or contents we can only do our best to try and stop him...if they want it bad enough they are going to get it...the trick is to make it as difficult for them as possible so that hopefully they move onto an easier target...sorry about that mr next victim...better you than me..The door locks on a defender aren't worth a pooop...most defender keys will open your door..heck, sometimes even a non defender key or screwdriver...not to mention the old, break the mindow reach in and pull the lock knob up, open the door and then sit in while they rummage through your personal stuff stealing what they want..Us aussies being a resourceful bunch have a fix for that..

View attachment 88864

View attachment 88865

View attachment 88866

View attachment 88867

View attachment 88868

View attachment 88869

While it looks very crude the idea is quite simple...give you enough time and warning allowing you to load your gun and take aim and shoot the thieving mogrel dogs...even if they do unlock the door its going to take a hell of a man to break that stainless stell chain or pull the rivnuts out of the door frame...the eyelet bolts are long enough that if you try to undo the bolts the chain does its tightening twist long before the bolt comes out..I will have the same system on the rear doors..when parking the car in a dubious situation, (which will hopefully not happen too often) or when leaving the car somewhere while we go off on bikes this system will be used..I exit the vehicle and close and lock all doors except the rear..then i go in through the rear door and chain and lock the front doors together and then do the same to the rear doors, I then leave out the rear/back door and then another rod goes on the inside of the camel ladder and bolts to either side, making it impossible to get in through the rear door..and then I arm the alarm which has a glass breaking senso and motion switch..should the thief attempt to break the glass the alarm goes off and with the thief then seeing the obstacles he is about to face he usually takes off...should he persist and get inside by climbing through the window and manages to sit in the seat with that chain diggin into his back...should he then manage to get the alarm siren with the 140dB siren blaring out the front and the additional one inside the vehicle pircing his eardrum and not to mention creating quite a scene...but lets say he manages to get around all of this he then manages to find the battery switch and turn it on...then finds that the gear box transfer lever is in neutral, and then finds that my park brake can't be released because i have a steel pipe slipped over the handle and padlocked to the handle making pushing the release button impossible...but lets say he manages to get around all of thes and also manage to get the door chains released etc etc...and then manages to get it started coz he is going to get a bunch of money for this camel trophy at his mates chop shop and he manages to get it started while dodging the hail of bullets from my gun which I have carefully loaded and taken aim with, he starts the car and drives off thinking he has finally made it...only to find that the vehicle dies in the middle of the road because the fuel cutoff solenoid hasn't been switched on by the unmarked hidden switch inside the tuffy box , and the vehicle has died in the middle of the road, by this time your resident crim is strating to wish he took a different career path....or at least a different car...I can tell you from personal experience (don't ask) that he is not going to sit in the middle of the road trying to figure out what went wrong and trying to get it started again...off he runs hopefully empty handed and you get your car back with hopefully minimal damage...

View attachment 88870

View attachment 88871

View attachment 88872

Free Beer

Brocephus
You should put a sensor on your fuel tank so it blows up if a bad guy tries to steal your gas. And also a supercharger with an electric clutch that you can switch on and off.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK you now have the security covered for North and South America, Africa, Asia and Europe. Another 6 months work and it will be good enough to stop the pommy thieves :Wow1:

bfdiesel

Explorer
You should put a sensor on your fuel tank so it blows up if a bad guy tries to steal your gas. And also a supercharger with an electric clutch that you can switch on and off.

******** :wings::bike_rider::victory::):smiley_drive::punk03::hehe::av-7::REOutArchery02:

berg

Observer
I made a trans lock for my Fj40.. locked in reverse, comes off in seconds .

as nothing is fool proof I think it deters a perp.

everything is welded...

Attachments

• new-pics-011.jpg
    new-pics-011.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 27
  • new-pics-010.jpg
    new-pics-010.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 25

The Rover Shop

Explorer
OK you now have the security covered for North and South America, Africa, Asia and Europe. Another 6 months work and it will be good enough to stop the pommy thieves :Wow1:

Already have that...
camel-013-L.jpg
Bloody poms won't touch the gear knob...bunch of sheilas they are..!!!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The spider is a good idea but how about a pet python. That would definitely keep the poms at bay and also the locals in Africa.

I did read your build thread. Very good job and well documented. And at least your not wasting all that effort on a normal rover. (coming from a bloke who ended up with a broken hand and black eye from fighting with a couple of our jackaroos about who had to take the series 1 and who got the cruiser).

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
These passive security measures are all well and good, but here in the states, we prefer a more active security system. On our Cayenne, the alarm never goes off, the vehicle will start, but for some reason won't go into gear. As the would-be thieves are trying to figure it out, little do they know - the doors have locked, and the exhaust has been redirected through the ventilation system...

Happy travels,
Mark

corax

Explorer
I made a trans lock for my Fj40.. locked in reverse, comes off in seconds .

as nothing is fool proof I think it deters a perp.

everything is welded...

I thought about doing something similar in my 1st gen 4runner, but locking the man trans stick to the transfer case stick (reverse to transfer neutral). So, do you have to take your shift knob off to pull the sleeve off?

berg

Observer
I thought about doing something similar in my 1st gen 4runner, but locking the man trans stick to the transfer case stick (reverse to transfer neutral). So, do you have to take your shift knob off to pull the sleeve off?

Yes.. its a friction fit knob.. literally on and off in a few seconds and I store it under the seat

The Rover Shop

Explorer

Then comes the question of is it better to lock it in neutral so they cant drive it even in reverse but they could tow it. push it after getting underneath and cutting the parking brake cable or is it better to leave it in 4 wheel so they would have to have someone in the car to keep the clutch down...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94