Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: keurig machine?

Default keurig machine?

Has anyone installed one of these to use while mobile / out and about?

subscribed... I love mine at home. I currently take the instant packets like Starbucks VIA with me. It allows me to just boil hot water and serve coffee, hot coco, hot apple cider, etc...
    ><((((> <))))>< <))))>< ><((((> ><((((> <))))><
    TFri
    2004 Jeep LJ
    2006 Fleetwood Neon
    2008 KLR650

I don't have one installed but I do use one while camping etc. It's a single cup unit to save on space, plugged into an inverter when there is no power. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    1973 K5 Blazer : Makin dead things deader since 1984

No but I do carry a Nespresso machine where ever and how ever I travel. Fits in my roll aboard suitcase with a weeks clothes, in the motorcycle panniers or any vehicle. Runs easily off my 1000 w inverter.
    I'm not lost! I just don't know where I am going!!!!

1999 Freightliner Ambulance soon to be conversion. Cummins/Allison
    1998 4x4 PSD Ambulance Conversion (SOLD and sad about it, grand daughter cried )
    FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (hopefully on the boat from Oz to the USA soon)
    2007 BMW G650X XChallenge
    2000 BMW K1200LT
    1963 BMW /2 with a Ural Sidecar
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

We want to love our keurig machine, but honestly if it can't handle the rigors of our kitchen counter, I doubt it would do well out in the wild.

Ours worked for about 3 months and then had constant issues with brewing either the cups or using the loose coffee brewer insert.

It's since been relegated to heating water for my wife, in her classroom, which it doesn't do very consistantly either, come to think of it.

On the other hand, our $19.00 Oster brand 10 cup traditional coffeemaker has been chugging along almost daily for about 4 years. I'd take that one in a new york minute, over the Keurig, If I was a glamper like CA-RJ.
    "For He so loved the world, that He sent His only son..."

Brian
    KJ6GXX
    2001 Isuzu Trooper:"Cabby"
    2013 Chrysler T&C:"F.R.E.D"

I have had each of the major brands for various reasons and it seems the middle to low end Keurig brand machines, like the Elite, are the most reliable.

We had one in our office that made 30 cups a day for 3 years before we "upgraded" to a Breville. The Breville machines are terrible out of the box and don't last more than a couple months. We had four of them before we finally said 'no thanks' to the fifth warranty replacement. The Cuisinart machines aren't much better.
    1973 K5 Blazer : Makin dead things deader since 1984

Personally, I'm not a fan of K-cups. I am by no means a coffee snob, but I would much rather use a french press or even a percolator.

If you're dead set on having something like that on-board you may try a company that supplies gear to the mobile food trucks that have been popping up everywhere. Just a thought. Would be cool to see something small and built in that supplies your hot water on demand and is integrated with your java brewer of choice.

How sweet would a portable/camp version be!
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen |

We love the Nespresso Latissma we have at home, but couldn't see taking it on the trail.

I like the coffee made from a french press, but find cleaning them out in the field to be a bit of a bother.

Perhaps something like the Nespresso Pixie would be small and rugged enough to take on the trail? It does run almost 1.3kW though.

nespresso-pixie-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cnynrat View Post
    We love the Nespresso Latissma we have at home, but couldn't see taking it on the trail.

I like the coffee made from a french press, but find cleaning them out in the field to be a bit of a bother.

Perhaps something like the Nespresso Pixie would be small and rugged enough to take on the trail? It does run almost 1.3kW though.

nespresso-pixie-2.jpg
    That is the one I carry all around the 110v world. I have not measured the real current draw but my 1000w inverter handles it OK. I did originally put it in a pelican case but it was too bulky. Now it sits in a Sears tool bag with a couple of bits of foam on the side. Fill the water tank with capsules and an espresso cup, container of sugar crystals (German rock sugar I think it is called over here) and then who cares where you get stuck. Mind you on the motorcycle I do have to wait until I can find a power point somewhere. Photos to follow.
    I'm not lost! I just don't know where I am going!!!!

1999 Freightliner Ambulance soon to be conversion. Cummins/Allison
    1998 4x4 PSD Ambulance Conversion (SOLD and sad about it, grand daughter cried )
    FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (hopefully on the boat from Oz to the USA soon)
    2007 BMW G650X XChallenge
    2000 BMW K1200LT
    1963 BMW /2 with a Ural Sidecar
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast