keurig machine?

TFRI

Observer
subscribed... :coffee: I love mine at home. I currently take the instant packets like Starbucks VIA with me. It allows me to just boil hot water and serve coffee, hot coco, hot apple cider, etc...

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I don't have one installed but I do use one while camping etc. It's a single cup unit to save on space, plugged into an inverter when there is no power. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No but I do carry a Nespresso machine where ever and how ever I travel. Fits in my roll aboard suitcase with a weeks clothes, in the motorcycle panniers or any vehicle. Runs easily off my 1000 w inverter.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
We want to love our keurig machine, but honestly if it can't handle the rigors of our kitchen counter, I doubt it would do well out in the wild.

Ours worked for about 3 months and then had constant issues with brewing either the cups or using the loose coffee brewer insert. :(

It's since been relegated to heating water for my wife, in her classroom, which it doesn't do very consistantly either, come to think of it.

On the other hand, our $19.00 Oster brand 10 cup traditional coffeemaker has been chugging along almost daily for about 4 years. :) I'd take that one in a new york minute, over the Keurig, If I was a glamper like CA-RJ. :D :D

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I have had each of the major brands for various reasons and it seems the middle to low end Keurig brand machines, like the Elite, are the most reliable.

We had one in our office that made 30 cups a day for 3 years before we "upgraded" to a Breville. The Breville machines are terrible out of the box and don't last more than a couple months. We had four of them before we finally said 'no thanks' to the fifth warranty replacement. The Cuisinart machines aren't much better.

ab1985

Explorer
Personally, I'm not a fan of K-cups. I am by no means a coffee snob, but I would much rather use a french press or even a percolator.

If you're dead set on having something like that on-board you may try a company that supplies gear to the mobile food trucks that have been popping up everywhere. Just a thought. Would be cool to see something small and built in that supplies your hot water on demand and is integrated with your java brewer of choice.:coffee:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We love the Nespresso Latissma we have at home, but couldn't see taking it on the trail.

I like the coffee made from a french press, but find cleaning them out in the field to be a bit of a bother.

Perhaps something like the Nespresso Pixie would be small and rugged enough to take on the trail? It does run almost 1.3kW though.

nespresso-pixie-2.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We love the Nespresso Latissma we have at home, but couldn't see taking it on the trail.

I like the coffee made from a french press, but find cleaning them out in the field to be a bit of a bother.

Perhaps something like the Nespresso Pixie would be small and rugged enough to take on the trail? It does run almost 1.3kW though.

View attachment 89020

That is the one I carry all around the 110v world. I have not measured the real current draw but my 1000w inverter handles it OK. I did originally put it in a pelican case but it was too bulky. Now it sits in a Sears tool bag with a couple of bits of foam on the side. Fill the water tank with capsules and an espresso cup, container of sugar crystals (German rock sugar I think it is called over here) and then who cares where you get stuck. Mind you on the motorcycle I do have to wait until I can find a power point somewhere. Photos to follow.

JKJenn

Adventurer
I love that there is a thread on this. I just the same thought this week. If only it wouldn't short the circuit in my JK to use the AC plug - lol.

kb7our

Explorer
I can almost picture a mini pelican case portable espresso bar version similar to the AT Kitchen but much smaller and compact maybe running on propane or low wattage even if it takes longer to brew. The Overland Keurig!

:coffee:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I am kinda a coffee snob :) but in a good way
my home machine is a Elektra A3 fully plumbed in etc.. takes a 20 amp circuit and about a hour to warm up and stabilize if I turn it off :) so no way will that ever come with me :)

I have a pasquini livia that is in the garage these days I thought about putting in the trailer but it takes at least a 15 amp circuit :) so would have to run the generator but can warm up in about 15-20 minutes and be good to go with a few pulls through it

beans are the big thing my beans are from custom roasters if over a couple weeks it gets trashed :(
grind fresh etc..

for me I use a mypressi
http://www.mypressi.com/

for espresso it does a killer job and comparing it to some $500 or so machines it holds its own wont compete with a $3000+ type machine but will beat a sub $500 machine IMHO its that good

for coffee French Press but I am more a espresso guy

my vote is french press or a moka pot for more regular coffee or a mypressi for espresso
but of course its the beans that really count a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles