Trailer towing off road videos

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Great work man. The trailer being so tiny just zipped through every otbstacle. Impressive driving and a very impressive trailer.

TacoDell

Adventurer
Hmmm, youtube seems to have videos of such activity....
I've been following all the other custom trailer builds here... for some time...
I was hoping to see video of what others... (whom have trailer builds here)
have put there trailers to the test with.

I'm not really interested in a bunch of random video
Sorry you don't see this thread... as a possible form of entertainment or learning.

Thanks for the compliments by the folk that said.

btw... I have an older build thread here as well. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/41123-M100-(post-WWII)-DOD-53-SN-2185X
Or I'd not be posting.

Just thought I'd start a thread that allows folk to see the correlation...
With the build up, final product... as well as it's functionality shown in video.

Maybe no one cares... or has interest...
and I'm just wasting peoples time.

Sorry if that's how some folk might perceive things.

Anyone else with builds here... have video of their trailers in action ?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It makes perfect sense, we are building off road trailers, seeing them in operation and what their capabilities are should be of interest. I have my video on my website, as some questioned its trail worthiness. Most felt it would roll within the first 100 yards, but it made the whole ten miles of this trail, with out the wheels leaving the ground. Had a ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsy1161R8Q&feature=youtu.be

This is the only one I have at this time. Taken about two weeks ago by a friend.

Last edited:

TacoDell

Adventurer
^ I've admired your build... if I haven't already said
And really like the solid side/tear drop trailers...

I just don't think they can follow me where I'd hope to take it
^ tho' I could be wrong.

I'm dragging 1200 lbs. fully loaded...
and for many of the trails I've been on...
that's a work out for my tow junk.

And thanks... appreciate your sharing here
Would look forward to more... when you have it :)

loren85022

Explorer
I think "trailers in action" is definitely a great topic for this forum. Showing a trailer's potential and functional limits can help DIY builders anticipate build requirements. Documenting any system failures is not always as easy to capture or something you may want to offer up for review, but it is interesting to those of us trying to build a trailer that gets us home each trip.

XJINTX

Explorer
Don't want to hijack post but when off the beaten path like this how are you protecting the payload. I have not installed any tie downs but no matter how I seem to pack aftrr a rough trail cargo in trailer gets all bounced around. I will add foam to bottome before next trip but else beside heavy / better boxes?

TacoDell

Adventurer
I use a dense foam pad on the bottom
Then compartmentalize/organize things to fit fairly tight
I use blankets and such on the top surfaces of the containers
That sandwich those somewhat between their upper surfaces
and the underside of my trailer's lid surface.

I don't want to clutter this thread up with pictures...
But if you look at my build thread...
^ Here's a link to my original build location
(as the thread here might not be updated or reflect what I've done with that)

In my original thread... You will see what I've done to minimize that movement.
Granted nothing will be perfect...
But the little details will pay out some... if the time is taken.

Oh if you run ice chest(s) in your trailer like I do...
Use blocked ice... otherwise...
standard ice will grind yer food and polish yer beer cans. :oops: LoL

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Mine is designed more as a base camp trailer, it has every creature comfort you could imagine. I feel I can do most trails with mine, my truck is an automatic making it much easier on osbtacles plulling a trailer. I also have lockers front and rear and a good winch.

Watching your video's the only one that I would not attempt was the squeeze one, my truck is a good 6 inches wider than yours OUCH.

I use action packers with foam in mine and they are in a very tight compartment. I also have the ability to carry more on the outside of the trailer, tied down with ratchet straps. Inside the TV and Stereo, Micro Wave, oven are all attached permanently.

Clothing would be the only thing that would bounce around that and sleeping bags if used. We are converting to Action Packers for suit cases and the like, as they can be removed from the trailer and placed under it when sleeping. I will make tie downs for those shortly. Figured that out last weekend.

I will be building more of the box trailers, but for sales I think there is a much larger market for a capable off road tear drop than the AT type trailer, there are only so many of us that do it. The tear drops appeal to the off roader and the highway crowd, the box trailers not so much.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
It makes perfect sense, we are building off road trailers, seeing them in operation and what their capabilities are should be of interest. I have my video on my website, as some questioned its trail worthiness. Most felt it would roll within the first 100 yards, but it made the whole ten miles of this trail, with out the wheels leaving the ground. Had a ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsy1161R8Q&feature=youtu.be

This is the only one I have at this time. Taken about two weeks ago by a friend.

Very cool!

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I think this thread is an excellent idea! Not that my trailer is even road ready, let alone off road ready, but the vids of others are fun to watch.

Watching your newly built trailer run that trail was sweet skersfan! I'm not sure my truck is even that capable.....

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Ditto on the 'This is a great idea for a thread'!

I mainly use mine for base camp, but have drug it around a few trails in the ORV park, to test it out.

Didn't take any video though:snorkel:

I also try and pack my trailer tight, to keep movement down and the contents safe.

Box Rocket

I like the thread idea too and wish I could contribute more than photos, but I rarely if ever shoot video. Looking forward to seeing more vids.

As for tie downs, you can check my build thread for ideas although my solution of weldig them in is only practical in a "scratch" build or rebuild. A bolt in option is probably better for mostly finished and funtional trailers. I have been able to keep my trailer contents tightly secured using ratchet straps and over 20 tie down points inside the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles