WHY I HATE EZ-Lube Hubs

orangeTJ

Explorer
A short time ago I purchased an 8.5' x 20' Haulmark Race trailer, to haul my Jeep in and become my roadtrip / show trailer.

The first project upon getting it home was to inspect the brakes and bearings.

I dismantled the brakes on the driver's side last week. On Sunday I started looking at the brakes with a flashlight. The magnet on one wheel had a little grease along the top of it. The shoes looked like they may have had grease on them - it was hard to tell. At this point, I only had two wheels/drums off.

The only way grease gets in the brake assembly is if a seal goes bad, or if while putting in more grease, the grease takes the path of least resistance and goes past the seal instead of making it's way forward, through the outer bearing. The latter scenario would only happen if the hub is already packed totally full of grease, which is what happened on my trailer.

What I can tell is that the magnet is the first place grease will land when it gets past the seal and gets flung around.

Before I wasted any more brake cleaner, which I bought plenty of today....

2012-02-26_09-14-05_269.jpg

... I decided to pull another brake drum off (on the passenger side of the trailer) and look at it.

Here's what I found: :Wow1::Wow1:

2012-02-26_10-01-18_396.jpg

2012-02-26_10-01-30_918.jpg

2012-02-26_10-01-41_483.jpg

2012-02-26_10-01-57_113.jpg

Here you can see that only 1/2 of the brake shoe was actually doing any braking action. The other half is goobered up with grease.

2012-02-26_10-02-05_788.jpg

So, the reason I hate EZ-Lube hubs is because people tend to treat them like "bearing buddies" on a boat trailer, and put more grease in them every so often. It seems that at some point in time, it's possible that grease will start oozing past the seal at the back side of the drum.

Now I know why I had to crank the brake controller up to 7.5 to get much braking action on my trip home.

When I picked up the trailer, I asked when the last time the bearings were repacked. The owner said he hadn't repacked them, but every year he'd shoot more grease in the hubs. The fact they hadn't been inspected/serviced is exactly why I took them apart. :D
Each hub had a LOT of grease in it.

I'm not wasting any more time messing with the existing brakes on the other three wheels - I'm replacing all 4 entire brake assemblies.

Since the magnets appear to have gotten grease on them too, they've caused uneven wear on the "armature surface" of the brake drum. I'm replacing all 4 drums too.

The armature surface is the flat surface on the back side (inside the drum) of where the wheel studs are. The magnet attracts itself to this surface when power is applied (from braking action)

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Wow that sucks! So with an ez lube hub, which I have no experience with, will a pump of grease every 6 months or so do that?!

orangeTJ

Explorer
Wow that sucks! So with an ez lube hub, which I have no experience with, will a pump of grease every 6 months or so do that?!

Pretty much, yes. LOL.

Here's my educated opinion:

Once a wheel bearing is packed (or repacked), then it's fine to pump some grease in it while spinning the wheel, once the service job is complete.

Down the road (pun intended, LOL), there's really no need to continually pump grease in every so often, because the grease doesn't magically disappear.

In the case of my trailer, it's about 4.5 years old and has been really well cared for... and the owner was being diligent about greasing the bearings. But, the hubs became overfilled with grease. Bearings still need repacked periodically (and inspected). The brakes need inspected / adjusted too.

On one of my other cargo trailers (I have three now) I just had all 4 brake assemblies replaced under warranty, because one of them kept locking up. I have a severally flat spotted tire to prove it!

I've gotten pretty good at doing brakes and bearings on trailers. Maybe this is my second calling for a career change.

Last edited:

tclaremont

Observer
Dont blame the EZ Lubes. Blame the guy who does not know how to maintain them,. They are called EZ... not idiot proof.

orangeTJ

Explorer
Dont blame the EZ Lubes. Blame the guy who does not know how to maintain them,. They are called EZ... not idiot proof.

Roger that. In some cases, it makes people lazy... and there isn't a lot of "education" on the part of the dealers that sell trailers which have these hubs.

tclaremont

Observer
Kinda like the tire pressure sensors that are required in new vehicles. Owner attitudes are changing from "I should have checked my tire pressure" to "The car should have told me the tire pressure was low".

Pretty sad, really.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I edited my first post to read this now:

The only way grease gets in the brake assembly is if a seal goes bad, or if while putting in more grease, the grease takes the path of least resistance and goes past the seal instead of making it's way forward, through the outer bearing. The latter scenario would only happen if the hub is already packed totally full of grease, which is what happened on my trailer.

AND, in reference to my Bearing Buddy comment, I change it to read this:

So, the reason I hate EZ-Lube hubs is because people tend to treat them like "bearing buddies" on a boat trailer, and put more grease in them every so often. It seems that at some point it time, it's possible that grease will start oozing past the seal at the back side of the drum.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
"Zerk Fitting" This is a pretty common problem,you put a zerk fitting on anything then the persons thinks it needs greased weekly.

Greaser

I know this is an old thread but I felt I needed to reply to this. The reason the seal gave out is because of too much grease and no where for it to go. As you go down the road, the wheel spins causing the molecules of grease to rub against one another. This causes heat and expansion. If you were to grease it the old way and check the temperature of the hub, you would find that it is cooler than when you have it full of grease. Centrifugal force and heat cause the grease to move within the hub and it has no place to go. It builds up pressure inside and leaks past the seal. Another thing is most people buy the cheaper seals. These are the ones without a spring. Those seals cant hold any kind of pressure. Thats why your brakes look like they do. There is another design out there that are being used on 4wd trucks but will work on anything. Its a new product but should be on the market in the trailer world within the next year. Google Courtsara EZ Lube Spindles. This design has an inlet and a pressure relief outlet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne