Need some Explorist 500LE help/advice

xtremexj

Adventurer
So, my lovely wife bought me an Explorist 500LE for my birthday about 4 years ago, but it got misplaced and forgotten about for about two years. I know that she paid several hundred dollars for it at the time, even though I had mentioned that I wanted a Garmin because all of my offroad pals use them and they seem easier to use. Anyway, the sales guy talked her into this becuase it was a 'better' unit, even though it had no accessories with it and no basemaps. Now, I try and figure out how to use this thing and find out that it's pretty much obsolete and I can't even get my computer to access the damn thing. I am trying to have a look at the $100 map I had to purchase from Magellan to see if it has any back country maps for my trip down to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff this year but the computer won't communicate with the GPS. The Magellan website is useless at best for help so I'm hoping somebody here can help.

I guess my question is, does anyone still use this model and have any helpful hints so I don't have to junk a $400 purchase that hasn't even been used yet? I sure want to use it becuase my wife had good intentions and I'd hate to hurt her feelings by tossing this in the garbage without using it.

Last edited:

xtremexj

Adventurer
I contacted Magellan about maps for this unit, and although they are discontinued, they tell me that the Accuterra maps will load no problem with this unit. I guess I'll have to spend another $149 to get a USA topo map for future excursions.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions Gearhead - I had that part correct. I ended up having to completely remove and re-install Vantage point as well as update the firmware and everything is good to go again. I haven't done anything with Mapsend yet as I don't have any new maps to load yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke