RichardT's 95 Montero SR Build Thread

majornickmo

YourAutoWingman
My fab guy is supposed to call me today to start creating a mock up for my bumper, I'm excited to see yours finished as I brainstorm with my guy!

RichardT

Adventurer
My fab shop, just sent me these pictures, he said it'll be done either late today, or sometime tomorrow. All that is missing is a few pieces on the sides and the bull bars on top.

bumper build4.jpg
bumper build5 online edit.jpg
bumper build6 online edit.jpg
bumper build7.jpg
bumper build8 online edit.jpg
bumper build9.jpg
bumper build10.jpg
bumper build11 online edit.jpg
bumper build3.jpg

What do you guys think thus far?

Oh, and I spoke to him about the bolts, and he said that stock bumpers are generally attached with grade 8 bolts, but he would double check what his fabricator used to mount mine up, and make sure that they were grade 8.

RichardT

Adventurer
nice!! what dose something like that run?

Once it's all said and done, it's gonna be about $900 for this bumper. Though he quoted me a little cheaper at the start, and he kept to that quote, I guess it's costing him a little more than he anticipated. But he's being good enough to charge me what he originally quoted, he said that this setup would cost around $900. (It would be about $150 cheaper with just a little stinger up front, and without the bull bars that he's gonna put on)

off-roader said:
Don't recall your needs but for my needs that would simply be too big a bumper and act as an anchor on some of the trails I run . Otherwise I'm sure it will look nice.

If I were to have one made I'd make it similar to Scrubber3's low profile winch bumper (http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...20#post1047220)... or try to get lucky and find/buy one on CL.

I'm not looking to do any hardcore rock climbing like you for one ;) Is that what you're referring to? I mean to use this truck for the occasional off road romp, but mainly for camping, and access to hard to get to places for hunting etc., the reason I paid an extra $150 over what he quoted me originally for the bumper with a small stinger, is I want the bull bars to protect the front of the truck, as I hope to do a lot of driving on back roads (especially if I end up moving out of SoCal, up north somewhere), and I don't want to wind up with a badly disabled truck if I happen to run in to a deer or something. At least if I do, with the bull bars, it might protect me enough to let me hobble to safety.

I had shown him a lower profile bumper that I wanted it to be similar to, but that I also liked the idea of having some added protection, also a big thing for me was to have the winch mounted in behind/within the bumper and between the frame rails for added protection for it, and because I didn't want it sitting up top where it would block a lot of airflow to the radiator. To be honest, it's a tad bigger height wise than I would've liked, but it's pretty close.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's cool! I wasn't sure one way or the other.

Is the location of the bumper and winch blocking that bottom cooler? I assume you'll reposition it or build in air ports or something like that?

RichardT

Adventurer
That's cool! I wasn't sure one way or the other.

Is the location of the bumper and winch blocking that bottom cooler? I assume you'll reposition it or build in air ports or something like that?

I had thought about that after seeing it with the bumper off and again after looking at the pics, but I haven't come up with a solution yet, I was waiting to get the finished product home, and see what might be done, or see if anything even needs to be done, I'm going to be removing the control box off the top of the winch and mounting that under the hood anyways (to get it a little higher just in case I have to go through water) so once that is out of the way, and considering that where the winch is going to be located won't have a cover, it'll probably have sufficient airflow to the cooler anyways, I'll have to see how it looks once I relocate the controller.

Thanks for bringing that up though, cause I might have missed that and that could've caused me some problems down the road, I appreciate you looking out.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I definitely wouldn't run it with obstructions to the cooling system. You will most likely toast your engine $2-5k, transmission, etc.

RichardT

Adventurer
All done boys!!! Minus the paint anyways, I'm gonna get to that hopefully by Sunday afternoon/evening, I sprayed it down with some WD40, as I'm gonna take it out tomorrow, (and we might get some pretty heavy weather through here tomorrow, I'm hoping it'll miss the spot where we're headed..., I hope I can get some proper action shots while I'm out there) and I want to help ward off as much rust as I can until I can get some primer, and then the bedliner on it. I'll post up some pics of that as soon as it's done, and I'll take some proper photos as well, not using my iPhone, that way you guys can get a proper look at it.

bumper build12.jpg

bumper build13.jpg

RichardT

Adventurer
Thanks guys, here are a couple of action shots I got with my phone, I took a bunch more with my camera, but only these two with my phone.

This was at Calico, I'll post up more pics and the tale of the ride when I get home later, or mañana.

Sent from my iPhone

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332036297.483500.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332036297.483500.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 39
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332036314.406653.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332036314.406653.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 38

RichardT

Adventurer
Here are the rest of my pics from Calico. We had an eventful day, including me asking one of our group to shut my truck off, and for some reason it started to roll down the hill, so I had to chase after it to stop it...that was interesting...and then on the way out, I nicked the side of a sharp rock and blew out my front drivers side tire....guess I won't be waiting till this summer for 33's after all ;). I got a little trail damage as I was trying to scale a little ledge, my rear tires spun a bit, and I slid down into a rock, so just about tore off my rear passenger mud flap, and damaged the rock guard a bit, but nothing major.

IMG_5814.jpg

IMG_5822 online edit.jpg

IMG_5825.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5851 online edit.jpg

IMG_5863 online edit.jpg

IMG_5864 online edit.jpg

IMG_5866 online edit.jpg

This was a 45 degree incline, I got out and measured it ;)
IMG_5896.jpg

RichardT

Adventurer
The next day, I cleaned up my bumper real good and set about painting it. I had a light patina of rust from the previous days' rain, and would've been worse if I hadn't doused it a couple of times with WD40, so I sanded it down a bit first to clean it up.

After a quick primer coat all over, I painted some of it flat black, basically whatever wasn't going to be too exposed, and didn't warrant the bedliner. I then masked off what I didn't want covered in bedliner, and went to town.

You can see the rust a bit in this first picture before I did any work
IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

I put some grip tape on the top portions of the bumper so that if I had to step up on it to access something under the hood, I wouldn't tear up the liner, or eat *******, this was recomended by a friend of the shop owner that did my bumper, and I think it was a great suggestion.

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5951 online edit.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954 online edit.jpg

I really like how it looks now, especially after it's been finished up with the bedliner, you may notice I don't have the hook on there, and that's because I finished putting it all back on last night at 9:30, and I had to get up at 5:20 for my shift at the hospital today, so I just wanted to get in shower, and hit the sack, I'll put the hook on today or tomorrow, and hook up the winch to power again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior