JKJenn's Expedition Build Thread

JKJenn

Adventurer
Should I go for 4.88's or do I need to go all the way to 5.13's?

PS: Aren't you proud of how much I have learned about my JK? :)

Any recommendations?

I looked through your post but couldn't find if your Jeep is an AUTO or 6-SPEED, that will make a big difference. I look at it this way, your sport came with 3:73 gears but a 2011 Rubicon would have 4:10's so 4:56 would be a little lower than stock for a Rubicon and a good size jump from your 3:73 gears. If you have an Auto then that is what I would go with if you have a 6-SPEED then I would do a little more research. Find a 2010-2011 6-Speed JKURubicon which has 4:10 gears and drive it to see how it drives on the highway, then imagine it loaded down with your gear... On another note 5:13 gears a perfect with 35" tires (34" actual hight)....

No matter what gear you have it will always struggle because of the lack of torque...
Hope this helps..... Albert[/QUOTE]

4.56's will be perfect!

Second the 4.56

Even 4.88s will be tall with stock Rubi tires. I sure wouldn't do 5.39s unless you are going for 35s. Maybe 4.56?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I am actually running automatic on a Sahara, not Sport. I don't see me upgrading to 35's....Thr stock rubi is hard enough to climb into with a dress on :)

I know there is a shop about an hour and half from me that will do the re-gearing (Meridian in New Castle) so I might check with them in early 2014.

horrocks007

I have a small lift, gobi rack and near stock sized tires, and I re-geared to 4.88's because the jeep couldn't keep its speed on flat land without downshifting. Completely happy with my choice, and would not go any higher. I actually think a nice set of 33's would make it even better.

Oh, my jeep is. 2010 JKU auto and came with 3.73 gears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JKJenn

Adventurer
So, I had the chance to take my off-road experience to the next level this summer in Colorado. I had done some fairly easy driving taking the Castle Valley overlook side trip from the Sand Flats route so when I reached Ouray, I decided to tackle something a little harder. I had read the Alpine Loop was on the easier side of the moderate ratings. That might be true, if you start from Silverton. I started from the Ouray end. It definitely had me tensed, but I really did alright. I should have removed my hitch as that got me stuck at one point, but I was able to maneuver my way out. Truth be told, I would not have driven it if I would have known how hard it was before I started. Looking at older videos of the route, it seems as though it has grown more difficult as more of the road gets washed away and more rock is exposed. I also hit the Alta Lakes road, Yankee Boy Basin, East and West Dallas Creek Roads, and Last Dollar around Ridgway and Telluride. In Crested Butte I went up several roads but can't remember them all. I started up towards Schofield, past Gothic, but the road was too far under water so I ventured back. All in all, I got used to airing down and driving in 4L and 1st.

I was very pleased, overall with the way the JK performed. As I am pretty far from home, with limited repair skills, and limited budget, I play it fairly conservative. In the past, I really considered ditching the running boards on my Sahara due to concern of getting hung up on rocks. That was not an issue. For now, they stay. If I am parked at an angle, it is quite a climb up into the JK, especially when wearing a dress. :)

In addition, I was towing my new T@b trailer and it towed very well. The only trouble I had was when I was driving all day in the plains at 100+ degree weather and then it wasn't really so much trouble. The radiator was running a little warm. I found that If I killed the A/C for a bit the temperature dropped. Do you guys think this is anything to be concerned about? I still have the extended warranty, if they didn't try to weasel out of it due to my mods.

Yuccahead

Adventurer
Sounds like a great trip and congratulations on taking those trails by yourself.

I'm not too familiar with the 3.8 engine or your trailer but if you were on flat highway and not doing a lot of climbing, I would have thought there would be enough air flow to keep the engine cool. You could have been low on coolant or had something blocking your airflow or maybe it was just that hot. If just turning off the AC helped with the cooling -- which reduces the load on the engine just a bit -- I'd be mildly suspicious especially if it was under warranty. If it didn't bother you the rest of the trip, I'd just mention it next time you take it in.

Nice pics by the way.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
The needle on my engine temp has always been pinned in the middle since day one regardless of driving conditions, that being said I don't think its the most accurate way to gauge the temp of the engine.

I just installed an auxiliary trans cooler on my 2011, I've never had the hot oil light come on but better to be safe than on fire. Also I keep the grill area completely open and unobstructed to max the airflow over the radiator.

At 100+ degrees I think any engine under load would get above the normal operating range.

Love the build.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
In addition, I was towing my new T@b trailer and it towed very well. The only trouble I had was when I was driving all day in the plains at 100+ degree weather and then it wasn't really so much trouble. The radiator was running a little warm. I found that If I killed the A/C for a bit the temperature dropped. Do you guys think this is anything to be concerned about? I still have the extended warranty, if they didn't try to weasel out of it due to my mods.

Sounds like a great trip. And congrats on your driving. Do you have any pictures you can share? I would love to visit Colorado.

When was the last time you changed your coolant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier