looking for a pop up and advice.

laker

So I am still on a hunt for a pop up truck camper. I would like it to have a toilet....for the wife! So with that it really narrows down what is out there. Also I will be hauling a car hauler with my 70 Bronco on it, so not sure if a camper with a hangover out the back will be compatible with attaching a car hauler trailer. Question does anyone have experience with this or thoughts on options, I would love to hear them? As well if anyone has one for sale, I would be interested, Thanks

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Well in my research that will severly limit your ability to have a bathroom due to the swb. You can use the casset toilets that go into a cabinrt though. Look at a palomino on ebay, brand new at less that 10K and some models come with a full bathroom even with the swb. But do some research and there not the best or longest lasting campers. Also fwc and atc will do custom builds for you, for a price.....

docdave

Aspiring overlander
Many of us have to address that balance of mobility vs. including the family in our adventures, and to be honest, in my 50s, I kind of like the convenience of a toilet and shower. I have gravitated toward a long box with a 1 foot to 1 1/2 foot overhang. With some minor modifications, you can tow pretty well with that length, and the balance of the camper front to rear is easier to maintain. I am struggling with a choice between a regular cab or extended cab truck for my 9 1/2 foot camper. I find the regular cab with the longer camper quite manuverable, but as my daughter gets older, we may have travel issues without the longer cab. As for weight, most of the newer campers, especially those made by Coyote Rv, Hallmark, Outfitter, FWC and ATC are pretty light, when modestly equiped. It's the stuff that drives the weight up. If you pack your camper like a backpacker rather than a moving company, you can keep the weight down. That concept is frequently reinforced on this forum, and was driven home for me during a visit with Rob at Coyote RV. To help with water management, I'm planning to replace the factory fresh water flush toilet with a porta potty. My camper is a bit old to invest in a cassette. Water is heavy, so are air conditioners, fuel and diesel engines. Everything is a trade off, my solution is to try out some options with my older, less expensive equipment before buying something new(er) or custom built.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I would go with an 8-foot camper with a partial bath such as a Sun-Lite Eagle WT (no longer made), Northstar TC-800 http://www.northstarcampers.com/online-catalog.php?view=item&parentId=11&catId=13&numId=31 or similar. The Starcraft 800 (also no longer appears to be made) had a unique convertible driver's-side bath that could be covered by an L-shaped couch when not in use. Coyote/Phoenix campers in Colorado has custom-built several 8-foot units (and even 6-foot) with baths. Although they are custom, they are still price-competitive. http://www.coyoterv.biz/ Their thread on this forum has several examples. There's a 6-foot with driver's side bath on this page: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/53208-What-s-new-at-Coyote-RV-Phoenix-Pop-up/page4 They build completely to customer requests when it comes to floorplan/features/materials. Palomino does have a few in the 8' range with bathrooms as well: the B1225 and the B1251SB. http://www.palominorv.com/ProductInfo.aspx?model=bronco&page=floorplans

The 8-foot camper floor length provides enough space for a partial bath while still enabling most trailers to hitch directly to the truck receiver without needing a hitch extension. A hitch extension isn't out of the question--many people use them, even for fairly heavy trailers, but it does add unwanted leverage and tongue-weight amplification that you want to avoid if you can.

I have an 8-foot camper in a 6-foot bed and use a hitch extension for a bike rack but remove the extension for trailers. I really like the 8-foot camper length for the extra storage space and stretch-out room in the lower bed as opposed to a 6-foot. Some insist on 6-foot campers in short-beds though for the look/profile or the ability to close the tailgate.

Last edited:

xtremexj

Adventurer
Well, from a fellow Albertan with the same issue, I chose a camper that didn't hang past the taillights. My trailer jack sits fairly high and I have a storage box at the front of the trailer so I couldn't limit how tight I could jack knife the trailer without interference. Our camper doesn't have a shower or toilet, but that is something I will address when we get a new one. I have already spoken with the fine folks at Coyote RV about building a unit that has both of those options but length wise is flush with the end of the bumper. That will give me all the features I want as well as working with the car hauler. Hope that helps.

laker

Thanks folks for the replies.....greatly appreciated. I do like the 8' option that doesn't hang over the tailights. I think the overhang with the tail gate down will not interfere with hitching a car hauler trailer too badly. So the hunt continues for a gently used 8' with a toilet. Hopefully I could find something inbetween Montana and Arizona.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94