Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Mount (Smokers need not apply)

Default CB Mount (Smokers need not apply)

I have found that the Uniden 510XL or 520XL is a good fit without much mods for the ashtray. All I needed to do is remove the tray and bracket, trip the side mount and the lip of the top horizontal piece flush. The CB mounts flush with dashboard and looks like a natrual fit. Attached is the photos and one with red arrows showing where I trimed and how much.

Let me know what you guys think!

Raszr

Tom Clutts
    1996 Land Cruiser
    I6

Expedition Project Vehicle!

nicely done and that is a great little cb...
    the 510 is a perfect starter and for a few bucks more you get the 520 with RF gain & PA (in case you want to yell at folks on the trail from the comfort of your cab)

thanks for the pics
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

I wish this worked on the older 80-series but it only works easily on the 95-97s.

I have the same CB.

Steve
    Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser, Born on Date 6/92, 3FE, Factory Tow Package, OME 850/863, Pin7 CDL, ARB Bull Bar, ARB Side Bars and Steps, Cargo Box, Dual Batteries, Winch, 285/70R-17 BFG M/Ts on FJ Cruiser Alloy Wheels

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Overlanding the backcountry of the Pacific Northwest.

Nice mod!!!

I too have done the same mod and love it!!!!

You will like that placement of the CB...out of the way and easy to find!

Quote Originally Posted by pnwadventurer
    I wish this worked on the older 80-series but it only works easily on the 95-97s.

I have the same CB.

Steve

I did the same mod on my 90 4Runner... What are the fifferences in ashtray size with your model year?

Raszr

Tom Clutts
    1996 Land Cruiser
    I6

The ashtray is smaller. When held up to the ashtray, it runs from the right edge of the ashtray to the middle of the 12v outlet.

I guess if you had skills in fabricating a clean matching panel (or didn't care what it looked like), you could make it work.

Steve
    Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser, Born on Date 6/92, 3FE, Factory Tow Package, OME 850/863, Pin7 CDL, ARB Bull Bar, ARB Side Bars and Steps, Cargo Box, Dual Batteries, Winch, 285/70R-17 BFG M/Ts on FJ Cruiser Alloy Wheels

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Overlanding the backcountry of the Pacific Northwest.

In the older 80 series you need to run a Cobra and remove the stock radio. Fits like a glove and appears cleanly.

Dave & Yoshi
    The Adventure Duo
    2003 Sportsmobile EB 7.3 PSD
    1997 Landcruiser 80 Series Collectors Edition
    2005 Suzuki DRZ400s
    Tread Lightly! Trainer | Manufacturer of the Trasharoo

Is that a LORAN GPS system with depth finder in your 80? You planning on doing some deep water crossing? What nav system do you use on the GPS?

Also how do you guys post pics within your messages on the forum withou using the upload feature that requires you to shrink your photos to less than 16kb
    Raszr

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALFJ
    In the older 80 series you need to run a Cobra and remove the stock radio. Fits like a glove and appears cleanly.

Tom Clutts
    1996 Land Cruiser
    I6

Do you have external speakers with the Uniden set up?

If not how does it sound thru the bottom of the dash?

Nice you put pics where you trimmed. Real neat and flush after the fact.
    "Now, I owe it to myself to tell you, Mr. Griswold, that if you are thinking of taking the tribe cross country, this is your automobile. The Wagon Queen Family Truckster. You think you hate it now, but wait till you drive it."

That's a nice fit.

I have an external speaker on my 520 and even a crappy little external works better than the internal.

Need to rig up an outside speaker, I like the idea of yelling at people on the trail.
    Ken, TLCA#4408, Cascade Cruisers
    Toyotas- '64 FJ40, '66 FJ45, '79 FJ40, '85 XCab SR5 4x4 p/u, '89 HZJ62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast