ExPo Member Entry - 2012 NORRA 1000 Rally

Car28

Todd Great update and really good to meet you. A great part about the race is that you can be in the middle of no where but there's always someone there to help. Lance, that's a good idea I do need to get Rhonda's perspective.

I dug through my folk's photos and thought you'd enjoy these.

Bronco1968small.jpg
I think this is 1968? I look closer to two than three but I'm not sure

Bronco1970sm.jpg
This is 1970 - is it your car and drivers?

now just to track down the Condor.

toddz69

Explorer
Todd Great update and really good to meet you. A great part about the race is that you can be in the middle of no where but there's always someone there to help. Lance, that's a good idea I do need to get Rhonda's perspective.

I dug through my folk's photos and thought you'd enjoy these.

View attachment 101001
I think this is 1968? I look closer to two than three but I'm not sure

View attachment 101002
This is 1970 - is it your car and drivers?

now just to track down the Condor.

Yes, I think you're right that the first photo was from '68. That particular Bronco in the picture is now owned by Andrew and will someday, I'm sure, look like that again.

I'm pretty certain that's Jim Loomis and Bud Wright in the second picture. Their truck was very similar to ours and was eventually propane powered and known as the "Stove".

Thanks for these pics, Sean! They're great!

And now to find the Condor...

Todd Z.

Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
And here's your typical Expo member at the awards banquet:

IMG_0249.jpg

Todd Z.

BajaBronco

Hey, Lance's goofy pictures is cooler than my goofy picture. Dang...

Wow, those are some great photos from back in the day, Sean! Speaking of which, I was going through a racer's old stash of magazines and saw at least 3 photos of a zebra striped FJ40. I bet you have them all, but I'll get the dates of all the magazines just in case.

Here's Minor's Bronco today:Minors2012.jpg
racer113paintBWO.jpg

Car28

Actually, magazine dates would be great. A couple years back, in the Harris fire, we lost an out building with all the old magazines, and super 8. I've been trying to track them down but my collection is pretty uneven. So any information would be appreciated.

You Bronco looks like it has a nice layer of house paint on it. Other than that it seems to be in great shape considering the abuse it was put through. Good luck with the restoration.

sadly, I think we lost our tequila glasses on the way home.

toddz69

Explorer
Day 2:

Monday morning in the Bay of LA came quickly. I slept easier Sunday night since I wasn't driving on Monday but still found time to review all my screw-ups on Sunday a few dozen times while I lay on the floor in my sleeping bag.

Nick and I checked out the cars in the starting line, completely oblivious to a celebrity flagwoman waving them off the line. Soon we were on the road to meet the race truck at Vizcaino. Near Punta Prieta, we saw a white truck parked off the road at a crazy angle in the distance. As we neared, we saw two familiar gentlemen sitting in their lawn chairs near the truck, enjoying the beautiful Baja morning. Our friends Bob and Wayne's passenger side front wheel had parted company with the truck at about 80 mph and left our two heroes without any useful wheel studs with which to re-attach it and continue. We surveyed the situation and with a tow truck on the way, we continued on our travels.

Bug spray on the tires at Guerrero Negro followed by the longest stretch of straight highway in southern Baja and we were soon at our destination a few miles west of Vizcaino where the first dirt stage for the day ended. Thankfully, Andrew and Eric soon appeared, truck intact, and we tucked in behind them for the transit to San Ignacio.

Following a friend's sage advice, the Bronco received a fresh supply at the Pemex in San Iggy while the rest of us played Santa Claus with the local kids and handed out "steekers". After another co-driver change, we decided to pay a visit to the mission at San Ignacio this time and really got a kick out of the reverberating sounds the racecars' engines made against the stone walls as they thundered through the small town square.

About this time I heard a call on the radio from my friend Sam, announcing, "we've just had a Sarah Palin sighting". "Yeah, right", I replied, thinking they had seen someone that resembled her and decided to make the comment (as is Sam's custom). "No really, she's right here near us, getting into one of Walker's trucks". It was then that we learned of the whole Todd and Sarah Palin/Walker Evans story. A twist you just don't expect in Baja.

After an hour wait for some tacos at a riverside restaurant (not recommended!), we were finally on our way again. Lots of hills and great scenery later, we arrived at the end of the second dirt stage for the day - the longest of the event at 175 miles. We fully expected that the truck would beat us there and be on its way to Loreto by the time we arrived, but this was not the case. A few of our competitors finished just as we were arriving and then the wait started. I had experienced this at the 2010 event - like a father waiting in the delivery room for the birth of his kid. Why isn't it here yet? What could've happened out there in those hills? My concern was heightened when we started asking arriving racers if they had seen our truck and they noted they didn't remember passing it. Your mind starts thinking about deep ravines and canyons.

Thankfully, after a period of time we saw another cloud of dust with some lights in it approaching and we heard the familiar sound of our favorite small block heading towards us. As we fueled the truck with 10 gallons of fuel, Andrew and Terry briefly told us how they had missed a turn at one point and headed about 15 miles south to another town. When they got to the town, the residents told them they were too far south so they turned around and came back, adding quite a bit of time to their travels. Ironically, this is almost exactly what had happened to the drivers of our Bronco in 2010. We were all glad they were safe, though, and that everything was still in working order.

Darkness had nearly enveloped us as we drove into Loreto that night and we spent a bit of time figuring out which hotel we were at (lesson learned - have pit books done before the race) but after awhile, we got everything figured out. We had a great steak dinner at a nearby steakhouse that night - reveling in both the great food and the low cost of the meal.

Todd Z.

BajaBronco

Great report Todd. I'll try to write down my Day 1 and 2 soon.

Sean, here's one pic I found this evening. Road Test/Dune Buggy Feb 1970. Has our Bronco on the cover actually. Your Dad's LC inside, and another friend of ours' Bronco pictured inside too! Pretty neat magazine to get, but fairly rare. Will try to find those others....now that I know you and the history better, that paintjob jumps right out at me from the pages!
RoadTestDuneBuggy270.jpg

BajaBronco

Day 1, from Andrew

Since I lost the coin toss the day before, it was my duty to drive Eric down the course for his late-day driver change at the Chapala road-crossing. Our fuel truck with Bob and Wayne in it were headed the same way early Race Day 1 to dump 5 gallons at the same spot. They had some errands to do, so they headed out earlier. Eric and I were on the road in the chase '80 Toyota 4x4 by 630 as we wanted to be off the course by the time the first racers caught up to us. Easy enough…right?
I was actually a little relieved to have some duty to do to keep my mind off of the start and the fact that we were actually going to put our little Bronco, our friends, and ourselves in potential harm's way. I know that's part of the deal, and I'm fine with it, but it's waaaay better if I've got something to do other than stand around – so this was fine with me to be hauling off down the highway.
Rolling into San Felipe, we found gas station number 2 on the right, which was recommended to us for unknown reasons. Eric was sure this was wrong as the snack selection restrooms and general condition and size of the gas stop wasn't up to par with all the rest. I too, was wondering what gave….but.., while fueling, up rolls a familiar face in a new black Raptor. We were both trying to figure out who each other was , but finally I figured out he was Billy Robertson and he was getting the fuel for our Bronco to be dumped at the Checkers Pit where we were also supposed to pop by. We followed him in, making one detour and unloaded the fuel. Got the Checkers tour of the pit, Checkers general advice, Checkers group photos, and Checkers send-off. Things felt good here, and I was happy that the Bronco would be cruising through this well-helped area, should Todd and Nick need any(and you know they did!!)
I was still a bit hurried and nervous though, as two years ago travelling the road south out of San Felipe, we were slow going through here and couldn't stay ahead of the Racers. I really wanted us to be in the right place at the right time as that is the goal in Baja. Any other combo is usually no good there. The Toyota made quick work of the terrain and we rolled into Rancho Grande just in time to meet Bob and Wayne and the fuel finishing some lunch. We chatted for a few and almost caravanned out through CoCo's. Right about then, we got passed by the first bike…..and then by Walker (who came inches from our door as he passed, then Robby's Pink/Orange thing, and another bike. Finally we were out onto the straight and I was sick of being passed by racers so I buried the pedal in the Toy and we only got passed one or two more times.
Out on the shoulder after the checkpoint several teams had set up. Bob and Wayne got the cones out and the banner and we were ready for the bronco to roll through. And then there was the waiting. Many cars came through and slowly the crowd waiting to pit their cars/bikes disappeared. It started to get dark, and finally the little Bronco appeared at the crossing and pulled in.

Eager as we were to hear stories of the race, Nick and Todd looked beat and the Bronco was ready for fuel. Todd showed me the damage from the side roll, which I totally missed standing right in front of it and told of the fuel pump woes. Bob and Wayne fueled and Eric got in. Then…the Bronco wouldn't start. After trying to jump start it, we pulled out the spare battery and were up and running. Of course changing the battery means pulling the passenger seat out. That's another thing on the list to fix!
Nick hopped in the Toyota with me and proceeded to eat and drink everything we had in the cab. I was lucky to still have a dashpad by the time we got to Bahia de Los Angeles, where, surprise, Nick wanted to be dropped off at the nearest taco stand. After fueling the Bronco and Toyota, we all came back to the taco stand and I left on a wild goose chase to try and find our motel, which was a major fiasco which involved me arguing with a desk clerk at the wrong hotel and demanding a room there, driving angry into town, getting mad at Norra officials, getting the right hotel name and location, and finding out we had one room with 3 beds for 8 people. Cozy.
That marked the first time I “Became Robby” during this trip. I've watched Dust to Glory enough times (as well as '67 1000 and '68 1000) and have been known to quote it from time to time when appropriate(I can also sing the song from the 67 1000 movie, but I have to have a few drinks…hey..did I sing this at the awards dinner?). A few times on this trip I started to sound like Robby Gordon during the movie when they are dumping pump gas into his Trophy Truck and he just can't stand it and starts yelling and speeds off. Not overly proud of that, but I guess when you are tired and frustrated in Baja it can happen. From then on, Eric and I joked that I was “starting to become Robby” and needed to cool down.
Last thing about this day was we were all tired from the day, been through hell from the hotel confusion and pretty much all had hit the wall and went in to bed. The truck had some superficial body damage, but also the hood was falling off, the trackbar loose at the axle (causing vague steering which was likely a contributor to the side flop), and had other questionable items like charging at 17V and fuel pump circuit problems. I was anxious enough about getting in and driving the next day as it was, let alone in a truck with the above problems. So at midnight or later, who knows.. I was out there trying to at least get the steering right before going to bed. Terry came out and helped me fix the axle/track bar issue and I packed up and crawled back in to the room to go to sleep, only to get 4 hours of rest before my first full day behind the wheel of the Bronco.

Car28

Thank you! I remember that photo and will eventually track down the magazine. This photo drove my dad nuts because they said the car was Chevy powered. It was a stock toyota f engine. Because, of all the "stock" Broncos he changed his gas cap and put his car in the non-production 4wd class. Then came in second.

Car28

Hey Team Bronco,
I just uploaded a video of Day 3 Stage 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTidfsBnTI
your car's at the starting line at :35
and then we pass it when you were having electrical problem at 1:58
At the end of the stage, I remember trying to tell Lance and Eric where you were and it was all a fog. Luckily Rhonda had her head screwed on a little better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier