Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ExPo Member Entry - 2012 NORRA 1000 Rally

Yesterday, I stopped by the fab shop to check on the progress of some updates on our little Bronco. It's coming along well. I specified a due date of mid-next week and I think they'll make it. There are some new safety rules this year our truck needed to conform to - the primary one being a firewall between our seats and the fuel cell. Ours will be a multi-piece deal. I continue to be pleased and amazed with Paul at Bent Fab. He is doing a great job considering the multitude of planes and surface discontinuities he has to work with. Being a vintage truck, we want to limit the amount of drillin' and weldin' we do on it, so he whipped out some nice threaded brackets on the CNC plasma cutter to attach the firewall to the cage without turning it into swiss cheese. The clamps are for 1.75" and 2" dia. tubing. He's also doing a new passenger side seat mount, splash guards around the fuel cell fillers, and a rear bumper (stocker) to conform to 2012 rules. This is all easily reversible if desired.

We also happened to notice recently that the re-born www.stroppe.com is offering t-shirts for sale with an image of our truck from the 2010 NORRA race, and a slightly modified image beside it. One of the principals in the operation is one of my editors at Bronco Driver magazine so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for some shirts, which I did earlier this week. The box arrived yesterday with t-shirts for everyone on our team - including our fueling/pitting/chasing team members.

http://stroppe.com/?post_type=portfolio&p=288

Only two short weeks before we head to Mexicali.

Todd Z.

Firewall construction shots:

Brackets:

Rear bumper:

Quick update from Baja on some weak wifi

Here are our 2 Day 1 Men of Action...Todd is the tall one and Nick is next to him

And here they are as Men of Action in Motion

Cool ol' Cruiser...great guy & gal running this rig Sean & Rhonda

Oh this give me way too many wrong ideas

What the heck, but way cool old school

Here is the Stroppe Bronco and the Toyota chase truck...keep'em older & cooler by far.

How the Edsel went away when there were great ones like this is beyond me

Now them there is some tires The former James Garner car

Things are going well, day one had plenty of "interesting events" that I will let Todd explain later..
    We are all dusty & tired but having way to much fun to stop now.

I am learning the GoPro setup thanks to UPR.com so I hope to have some video in a week or two after we get back

Wish us luck on Day 2 all the way to the finish line.
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

Great pictures, very cool versions of old Class 6 type off road cars. Good luck and keep the shiney side up.

-Jon

Ok we are all back home safe & sound and now comes the pic & video sorting/editing/writing part
    But rather than make you wait forever I figured I would through out some more teasers to hold everyone over until the full story comes together.

A few choice items...
    What happens when a software engineer finds an electrical problem? You get the "Terry Tap"

What do you do when there is no jack and you want to see under a race rig? Lay it on it's side

How about a game of Nav Nightmare?

Stickers solve all Military checkpoint problems?

What is it like to drive until 2am in Mexico? Very scary but doable with the right friends and good comm!

And now that you are properly wondering what is going on I will toss in some pics.....

Post flop & fuel pump fix fly away down the race course

Being this close on the race course can be very cool & very scary

Our Bronco was running well and flying by

Ever see a 40 Series Landcruiser on 3 wheels? You should see the pic I took a few sec's before this

Our crazy crew of Manly Men of Might Deeds with our Racing Steed

And then the awards party started

I am sure Todd will chime in with lots of stories and pics also. There is a bunch of video for me to edit so watch for bits of that and of course all of us will tell our story from a different perspective.
    But before I go too far I want to give a huge THANKS to Todd, Andrew, Gary, Nick, Terry, Eric and Sam for letting me join in on the fun.
    I pulled into the house about 60 miles short of 3000 miles put on the 70 Burb in just 7 days. Bouncing around Baja backroads & trails, chasing & racing and looking for lost Broncos....it was a great time.
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....

greatphoto2.jpg
    This is one I took while Andrew was driving (its one of my favorites). This finish line photo is also pretty awesome (Nick/Andrew/Todd).
    FinishNickAndrewTodd.JPG

Bunch of great guys and an awesome experience. I hope to play again.

Howdy Eric,
    Great to have you here on Expo and it would be nice to see a pic of your Bronco so folks understand why this was such a special thing for you.

I have a ton more pics and video to sort, edit & post. Today is my son's Eagle Court of Honor so I will get busy on monday working on everything.

BroncoMoab.jpgBronco.MotoTrailer.Small.jpg

I had such a great time this last week with Lance and the Guys. Andrew and Todd as co-owners of the Red Racer are extremely hard core bronco guys....I got a chance to see Terry's Silver Fox which was absolutely a mind-blowing time warp, Nick builds amazing bronco's and Gary owns an all original stroppe so you could say the crew for this had a few guys with "Bronco Fever"!

The photo "in red" was when we were in Moab before the restoration and current paint job.

I also put a few videos of the race truck and action up on youtube and posted these links on the bronco page and I figured I should include them here as well.
    Here are a few links to youtube. One is unloading the truck in Mexicali, the sound is just amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VxANWsepk

This is a really wobbly video of Andrew running the rig down a really narrow path and us passing the Edsel and then eventually team "Lost Boys"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPug3PKFQ84

This one is Walker Evans blowing Andrew and my doors off in the pre-runner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgat34q3GNI

Hopefully Terry has an awesome video of Andrew and Gary as we ran along side them (them in the dirt, us on the highway).

"Wow" doesn't even kinda surmise it.
    Last edited by enesset; 05-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Great Photos Lance and thanks for pointing me to this thread! Man, was this an amazing experience, and Lance's help was INSTRUMENTAL in getting us all home safe and GPS'd, taco-fed,etc, the list goes on (and on and on). Couldn't have pulled it off without you. I'm downloading some pics here and movies there, and will load them up asap!

Eric, here's the video you referred to:

NORRA Day 4 Andrew/Gary on the way to the finish line.

I also captured this video at that start of Day 4.

Day 4 Race Start in La Paz.

I don't have the words to describe the experience of "being there" in the 2012 Norra Rally riding in the Stroppe Bronco. It was simply awesome.

Here's a couple of pics of my Broncos.

1967 Sport Bronco (a.k.a The Silver Fox)

IMG_3163-vi.jpg

1966 Roadster Bronco

DSCF1822-vi.jpg

Still working on a 1966 Wagon project (17 years and counting).

-Terry

Red Racer Team huddle!

DSCN3880-vi.jpg

The look of a Bronco Racer competitor.

DSCN3888-vi.jpg

Red Racer interior showing handy glove holder

DSCN3915-vi.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast