Confirm my axle measurement, please

tclaremont

Observer
The TUB of the trailer is 49.5 wide at the outside edges.

The Rims with tires mounted have a 7.5 backspacing (wheel mounting face to inside edge of tire when loaded on the ground)

49.5 + 7.5 + 7.5 = 64.5

Granted, that would mean the tires would rub on the tub of the trailer.

My wheel adapters will add 1 inch per side. I am choosing to run wheel adapters because I already have the hubs, and it will allow me to run 4.5" bolt pattern wheels at some point if I want to. This one inch of spacing will give me the gap between the tire and the tub.

So, I think I want to order an axle that is 65 inches from hub face to hub face,. That will give me 1.25 inches per side between the tire and the tub.

Sound about right?

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Ya sound right. U might want a little more space between the tire and frame to help avoid damage to the tire from sticks and rocks that might get up there. I think I had like 2.5 or so on my trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330706030.604074.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330706030.604074.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 4

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
IMGP0965.jpg

You are right on the money. I have right about the same clearance. I cycled the suspension one one side to full compression and still had a 1/2".
We will see in the long run if this is enough. We can always increase the thickness of our adaptors. My reason was to try and keep the trailer as narrow as possible.

Jeff

tclaremont

Observer
Mine is not an offroad trailer, and it only weighs 250 lbs or so. I dont think I need the extra space between the tire and trailer, although I understand your rationale. If I use the measurements I posted, the track will match the JK, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94