mercedes 5cyl Diesel swap ??

98dango

Expedition Leader
hear is a graph with sm465 4:10 and 285 (33)

mercgear.jpg

bftank

Explorer
the reason i suggested the nv3500 was for mileage, peace of mind, and the ability to maintain your sweet spot as needed. to get the best mileage you don't want to be at your peak powerband constantly if you don't have to. that just uses up more fuel.

for example. my f350 powerstroke has 4.10's and 235's with a zf5 trans. this puts me at 23-2500 rpms which is in my powerbands's sweet spot. great right? yes, it's awesome for going over the passes, i never have to slow down. however, it is loud, annoying and unnecessary. if i increase the tire size to 37's, my rpm's go down to 19-2100 between 70-75 mph in od. much less tiring and if i need the power going over the pass i still have the option to drop down to 4th and maintain speed.

you can do what you want, it's your build. i am just making a suggestion based on my experiences.

i understand your point about using the stuff you have with out spending the extra money on gears. it works, just wanted you to be aware of potential issues.

98dango

Expedition Leader
oh she is not assembled yet thats for sure. This is also the great part of forums like this we can talk thing and come up with new thoughts I cant have on my own. I have given this much thought but not come up with every thing.

I know what your saying about not always being in the sweet spot but I have much less power to work with. Also in my research a few others have had good luck with this set up or varations such as the ford t-18 and np435.

The xj jeep guys like the 3500 and 4.10s with a 30" tire or 700r4 and same set up

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
Hear are a few thins I know will be on this to start.

285 75 16 I have 5 sets of these tires and run them on every thing right now

Om617 5cyl Diesel

ford prob gt air charge cooler

iEquis gauges Oil Volt Water Tach Speedometer boost and EGT

Specter 4" cone air filter

2.5" full exhaust no muffler

6" of lift to clear 33" tire via spring over and mixed springs

Bilstine 5100 shocks

98 s10 blazer seats

Tmax 9500 winch (free I love my Gfs job)

Full 8 point roll cage (built be me)

Bumpers and sliders (built be me)

Dupli-Color Bed armor (http://www.bedarmor.com)

Dupli-Color Full repaint

D

Deleted member 12023

Is it a turbo or NA motor? If it's a turbo you'll have plenty of power for DD. Keep your valves adjusted, check the timing chain, and keep the filters clean. That motor pulls fairly hard from 2500-4000 rpm for having such low HP. I believe there are also some performance mods you can do to it. Just keep them reasonable to keep the motor reliable.

98dango

Expedition Leader
No actual work has been done yet. Parts ordering lots of it.

on the way is my starter and a stack of plate and tube.

Also orderd all the eletrical scout needs a full rewire. New lights all the way threw and all new gauges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior