2012 JKU Rubicon Build/Adventure Thread

Septu

Explorer
Well after installing some of my mods, and the rest arriving today, I guess it's time to start a build thread. The JK is a silver 2012 JKU Rubicon, with the 5 spd automatic. Leather, dual tops, cmd start, connectivity, basic stereo. Ordered Nov 15th, picked it up on Feb 14th.

My long term plans include 35s, roof rack, bumpers, winch, 3.5" lift, additional gas tank, some lights, drive shafts, beefing up the axles and possibly a super charger (although this is damn near at the bottom of my wishlist - so who knows). I expect this will take 3-5 years to build it up - not that it'll ever truly be done. Right now my wishlist is sitting around 35k (including some guesstimates for some installs). Winning the lotto would go a long way to getting this done sooner! However being realistic, this first year will be fairly slow. Other than wiring in some lights, and making a sleeping platform in the back, my only plan for this year is to get the AEV bumper and winch - likely around fall/early winter.

I plan on going more of an expo style with this one. Will be sleeping in the back to start with, and eventually going to an Mongoila style tent for the roof. A small trailer to is something I keep thinking about, but am still uncertain whether I really want to tow something (both performance wise in the mountains I'd have to travel to go south, and whether I want that behind me while in the cites I'd visit while traveling or while wheeling on the trail). My dream is to do some traveling down to Mexico and further south for my summer vacations - likely taken in the winter because -40 sucks. I figure I can be in Mexico within 6-7 days of leaving the Yukon, allowing for 2-3 weeks of exploring before having to head home. No, not nearly long enough, but a start.

04/29/13 - so big new purchase today. Bought a small 1/4 ton trailer - a Canadian M101 with a lid and a RTT. A couple pics HERE. I'll pick it up from Vancouver when I go down there in mid June. Will have almost 2 weeks to camp, kayak and play before making my way home. Guess I'll find out what it's like to tow it in the mountains and deal with in the city now.

Current Look:
02/23/16
12631524_10153306358437595_8524831390992025609_n.jpg

So far I've installed:

Vector's UFO Plates
Spidertrax Spacers
Twisted Squirrel grill cover
Gas Cap cover
Bug guard
WeatherTec front floor mats
JW Speaker EVO 2 LED Headlights
JW Speaker LED Fog lights
sPOD Switch System
Stubby Antenna (DIY)
Cowl Air Vent Cover
Pat Harrison's Trailskins Limb Risers
Pat Harrison's Aluminum Body Armor (not installed)
LoD Mid Width bumper with a custom pre-runner setup
Engo 10k Winch with synthetic line
Poison Spyder Customs front fenders (steel)
Aries rear fenders (aluminum)
35x12.5x17 Toyo's
Mopar rear bumper
AEV Snorkel
AEV Pre Filter
Poision Spyder DIY Rock Steps
Carolina Metal Masters Grab Handles
Carolina Metal Masters Grab Bar
Nexus 7 for Nav & trails on RAM mount
3.5" Metal Cloak lift
Clear Turn Signals
Vector E-Dock
ARB Compressor (Evo underhood mount)
10 Lb Power Tank CO2
TrailSkin rear backup lights
4WheelParts Performance Brake Upgrade Kit (ceramic brakes, sloted and drilled roters)
New front DS (not installed)
Exhaust spacer
Dyanmax (?) exhaust (dumps under the rear drivers side)
Rancho front dif slider, and lube locker to seal the dif
Rigid SR 10" LED Combo Bar (spot)
50" 24x10w LED light bar (spot)
9x10w LED light pods (spot)
20" LED light bar (not installed)
BOSS adjustable shocks
Synergy front lower shock mounts
Rugged Ridge rear upper shock mounts
10 Off Road Only liteSPOT rock lights
cheapo rearview camera & mirror (not installed)
MorRyde heavy duty hinges
MorRyde tailgate setup
Titan Tank tailgate gas tank
3.6L Engine replaced (under warranty - 3 years 100,000 km added to warranty for engine)
New battery (01/09/17)

CND M101 1/4 ton trailer w/ James Baroud Escape RTT

Last edited:

JPK

Explorer
Some good news. With the 2012 you will not need to replace either drive shaft. Some bad news. With the 2012 and ~#" of lift you will needs to install an AFE replacement exhaust Y to cear any front DS. But the AFE Y costs a lot less than a new DS.

Here's a link to a thread detailing how to build a rear storage compartment that opens to a flush sleeping area in the rear of a JKU. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/under-floor-storage-1216045/

JPK

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Yeah the drive shafts are pretty far down on the 'to do' list as well. The AFE Y pipe will get done at the same time as the lift. I'll be doing something pretty close to what Ron Jenx did. A little taller (not sure how tall yet), and I still need to decide if I want to try and put a small pull out drawer on the drivers side to use as a cooking station, or do something else. And how much I want to try and save/use the stock cubby hole in the cargo area.

Lots of decisions to make, and lots of time.

JPK

Explorer
Another fellow used 6" metal studs in lieu of the 4" studs and got some extra room. But the floor wouldn't be flush like Ron Jenx's is, at the rear hinge (adjacent to the back seats) the floor would angle down to the folded rear seats, at least without some means to raise the end of the folding sections. Not really a big deal.

I have designed and am looking for someone to build a rear storage area for my JKU and my solution to the cubby hole is a full floor with piano hinged lids. One would be inaccessible under a fridge when the frige is in the Jeep, but the other would always be accessible, so you could reach under the inaccessible lid for anything you might need. Seperate lid for jack access, with a lip to make the whole floor flush.

Building on Ron Jenx's platform, a similar top with a hinged lid over the cubby would work, framed out for support.

I am no craftsman, so I'm looking at Adventure Trailers dual slide, which would accomodate a stove under a fridge. But I need a top platform for carrying gear too. And I want it all to lock via the tailgate. Solved how to do that, but the woodworking skill required is beyond my own (by a lot.)

I live within an hour of Annapolis, MD and have contacted several marine carpentry shops today. Unfortunately, the mild weather has them busier this March than ussual.

BTW, I have had no issue with the oem DS's in 43k miles, even with a Hemi.

JPK

Septu

Explorer
Yeah am not an expert on the wood working, however I could do it myself, and my father is a carpenter, so I can always enlist him to help and bounce idea's off.

How much lift do you have?

Septu

Explorer
Got the new headlights installed. All I can say is wow. This is how it should be stock. I'll still use some aux lights, however I could if I had to do a road trip with these. Nice sharp cutoff for the lows, decent highs. Fog lights barely do anything now. Part of me wishes I'd spent the extra on Cibies, but these should be fine.

JPK

Explorer
My Jeep has the 4.5" AEV suspension and rides on 37's.

Might have to try the same headlight you now have. Sounds like they are a real improvement.

Septu

Explorer
I highly recommend it. Night and day difference. Will try to get a picture tonight. The old lights I knew were bad (and now I know how bad). I took the new JK for a ride last week out of town (pitch black). I was uneasy doing 60 due to the lights, and not being able to see well enough. I could do a road trip with these ones tomorrow and be okay with it.

Septu

Explorer
I have the Hella's ECE's and a harness from Rallylights. These are easily good enough to last me for a while. The only other thing I'd consider would be a projector setup.

There's a guy in Colorado who does HID retrofits (for 350ish) that's very appealing. My only concern over putting a 55w into a projector HID setup is once I lift it, whether I'll have to aim it right at the ground to not be blinding people.

Here's the link for those projectors.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1102779#post1102779

Septu

Explorer
Good to see a fellow Yukoner. At least it is getting warm enough to work on the Jeeps outside!

Oh I know. That snow is almost gone (or at least melting enough) that it's hard not to go out... however I'm missing my winch from my 07. With that I'd go out alone with little worry about getting stuck.

Septu

Explorer
Stubby antenna! I know there's antenna's out there you can buy (and for next to nothing), but I wasn't willing to spend $10-15 on an antenna, only to spend another $10-20 to ship it up here... so instead took the hacksaw and cut it down. It's about 8" or so. Seeing how I rarely ever listen to the radio (usually either my ipod or whatever mp3 disk is in), I'm not worried about the reception. Painted it black.

View attachment 96954
View attachment 96955

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Oh I know. That snow is almost gone (or at least melting enough) that it's hard not to go out... however I'm missing my winch from my 07. With that I'd go out alone with little worry about getting stuck.

Where are you guys? I'm in Whitehorse, but currently Jeepless.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94